Forte hang / hourglass issue

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

DKnight2011

Forte hang / hourglass issue

Postby DKnight2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

Configuration:
Win 7 32 bit
Forte 2.2.18.2105
Cakewalk UA-1G audio interface
Yamaha Motif USB interface
VB3
Opx-Pro 2
Opx-Pro 2
B4 II

My configuration is above. Just started using my computer with Forte Live on stage and working out the bugs. Weird things happen while in scene view sometimes when I hit the escape button. All of a sudden, Forte shows an hourglass, doesn't respond during this time to any keystrokes or MIDI data, and eventually will unfreeze and start working again. I cannot Alt-0 or Esc to get out of scene view once this happens.

How can i troubleshoot this? I tried 'Stress Rack' and it even does it during the stress rack test. But I don't know what to look for in the logs. I really wanna get Forte working in a live environment but I cannot have random freezing like this going on.

What could be causing this?? Any ideas?

Dirk Offringa

Re: Forte hang / hourglass issue

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I have no idea what causes this (of course*), but you might want to try to push sceneview to the background with alt-tab. That doesn't exit sceneview, but you can shift the focus to another app which can be forte, or a monitoring tool like Filemon to see what's happening.

Dirk

* the only thing I can think of is that while in sceneview, another window accidentally gets the focus without being "on top", so the escape command isn't processed by the sceneview window, but by that other app. But well, it's just a hypothesis, trying to start somewhere.... do you have plugin consoles open before switching to sceneview?
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

DKnight2011

Postby DKnight2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Well I'm looking at it stuck right now. Alt tab doesn't want to change to another program at all. Alt-0 doesn't get out of scene view. Neither does esc. Nothing is responding. Just see an hourglass on the scene view. It's stuck even longer than it has before.

Ok just hit CNTL ALT DEL and started Task Manager. That seemed to unfreeze things again. Now it's continuing it's rack stress test. Strange.

Maybe a plug in is causing this? Each time it has frozen, it has got stuck after selecting a scene which includes only the B4 II organ (changing it's settings) and mutes the other channels.

I

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Try to trim the rack and see if that makes a difference; then you can try to start forte in safe mode and exclude that plugin (or if that doesn't make a difference, exclude them all and add them until the problem reoccurs). Subsidiairy question: do you have a USB dongle (even a virtual one)? The fact that calling the taskmanager with ctrl-alt-del defreezes the process makes me think of a (virtual or real) USB dongle not reponding. Make sure the drivers of these dongles are up-to-date and Win7 compatible.

Dirk

DKnight2011

Postby DKnight2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 pm

No USB dongle. Real or virtual.

Problem is kind of elusive. I was able to duplicate several times this morning. But for the past few hours, not able to. Hard to figure out when it's so random.

I can run tests all week at work. Will see what happens.

DKnight2011

Postby DKnight2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 pm

I just tried running a stress rack changing scenes, 2 every second. I know, not real world simulation, but wanted to see if I can see patterns. With changing scenes 2 every second, it freezes alot. And always when switching to a scene with B4 II active and settings being changed.

And CTRL ALT DEL doesn't always release it. I just tried it when it froze just now, and Forte was still frozen in hourglass state. Then about 10 seconds later, it unfroze again.

It's looking more and more like B4 II is causing this issue.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 pm

And ONLY in SceneView mode? Really?

Dirk

DKnight2011

Postby DKnight2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 am

Actually after more testing, its not just scene view. It happens in the rack view as well. It will sometimes freeze for several seconds, sometimes as long as a minute, only when a scene is selected where the B4 II is unmuted and settings are changed in the plugin (drawbar settings, tone settings, etc).

Anybody else have this issue with B4 II or any other plugins?

DKnight2011

Postby DKnight2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Ok after testing all day I have come to the conclusion that B4 II does not work well when Forte is set to use multiple cpus. My VB3 and OP-X seem fine.

Stressing the rack with only 1 cpu is great. No issues

With both cpus, I get the freeze many times when the scene changes to unmute the B4 and change its settings.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 am

Good find! I remember that B4 was known to have had some issues in the past, but unfortunately the forum search doesn't allow for seaches with less than 4 letters....

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:51 am

Hi Dirk,

was it this thread you were talking about ? (Mike made it a Sticky):

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2506

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Return to “Forte and EHCo”