How does Forte: Ensemble differ from V-Stack?

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

EnjoyRC

How does Forte: Ensemble differ from V-Stack?

Postby EnjoyRC » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:37 am

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:05 pm

drez

Postby drez » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:31 pm

I was a V-Stack user before I switched to Forte. V-Stack is an entirely different animal and it is NOT geared for live performance use.

V-stack does load VST's and has a mixer, but the fun stops there. How do you do zones and layers? How do you send Program changes? How do you assign controllers?

Simple answer: YOU CAN'T!

Forte is like have a master keyboard controller in "software"! You assign splits and zones by clicking on a virtual keyboard or by learning it from keypresses. Need to change Presets and routing? No problem, save each as a scene and step through them! Change the order of the scenes instantly, too.

I'm a keyboarder and I play live weekly in front of +15,000 people a week...on the weekends we have 5 performances. I used V-Stack for a while coupled to my Kurzweil K2600 and I had to do lots of tedious programming on my K2600 as a Master keyboard for my VSTi's...Slow and painful process. Worse, I've had V-Stack lock up on me in the middle of a performance.

Unacceptable.

Now with Forte, I can take pretty much any keyboard I want and quickly adapt it to my scenes in no time. I can be up and playing with all my setups on any keyboard in minutes. Stability is great and flexibility even better.

Steinberg doesn't care about Vstack being a live tool...its for System Link and that's it. That's fine by me...Forte beats it anyway.

Also, the Brainspawn crew have done an I N C R E D I B L E job supporting the product. They listen AND make corrections! I have yet to meet a group more dedicated to a product and making the customer happy. The stuff coming down the pipe is going to be amazing and set the apart even farther!!!

/drez

l.john

Postby l.john » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:37 am

what you're saying is simply...

the TRUTH!!!!

frosenthal

Postby frosenthal » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:16 am

mgarrett & drez are right on the money. VStack is not very suitable for both in the studio and live performances. I tried to make a go of it and gave up. To make my system work I purchased Cubase SX and Project5 at approximate cost of $1000. It worked but wasn't very elegant, effective or efficient. I then found Brainspawn's forte ensemble. It does all the things I need very well at 1/10th of the costs. Plus it is an elegant one software system solution. I have fully converted to forte and uninstalled Cubase SX & Project5 from my live performance music computer. I use my system as a one-man-band.

Return to “Forte and EHCo”