Patch change Forte vs Hardware workstation

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

DKnight2011

Patch change Forte vs Hardware workstation

Postby DKnight2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:23 am

Hello,

I own Forte but haven't integrated into my Live setup yet.

What is the patch change time as compared to a hardware workstation?

Let's say I use 3 or 4 VSTs. Only one patch playing at a given time per VST. (similar to Performances in a Motif).

Then I switch to another "Performance" (which will switch patches on all 4 VSTs within Forte).

How does the patch change time compary to changing to another Performance on a Motif??

Thanks
Dennis

yamus

Re: Patch change Forte vs Hardware workstation

Postby yamus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

That should be pretty instant, unless you're loading different samples from patch to patch. Even then, I would think that will load quickly. In one of my groups I use forte along with a Yamaha Motif, and I change patches on forte, and forte also sends the patch change command to the Motif (this uses brainspawn's ehco software).

-M

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:03 pm

The changing time between two scenes (two patches if you like to call it) depends directly to the time which the slowest VST-plugin used in the next scene needs to change its patches. For example if you only use some EHCo plugins and some virtual analog VSTi, the scene change should be done in the same time a modern hardware workstation takes to change its patches (= instantly). But if you use a sample based plugin in the next scene (like a sampler or a plugin like Omnisphere for example) AND you change their patches in the new scene, the scene change can take some time - the time these plugins need to load their samples.

So what I said before: the slowest used VSTi defines the time needed for a scene change.

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes, what you want to do is get all your VSTIs loaded info Forte with their samples in memory from the start. This can take a little while when starting Forte (a minute or three) but that's all the sample loading you will do. Then configure forte to not load anything into the VSTIs on scene changes.

To operate your rig, you use mutes and midi manipulation at the forte level. This can take a little time to get the hang of, but in the end it's surprising how much can be done this way (just about everything) and your scene changes will be virtually instant.

We can provide some examples if this approach isn't crystal clear.

M
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi,

I totally agree. Only some additional hints on the use of samplers in Forte:

1) If you want to use samplers in the way you describe you have to chose the option "Do not use per scene configuration data" in the Scene Commands menu of the sampler VSTi. Here is a video sample on how to manage this for Kontakt (also available on the brainspawn website):

http://www.youtube.com/user/brainspawnf ... 4nLSJoB9ro

2) If you use very large samples the 32Bit version of Forte can be the limiting factor as the whole host can only grab 2GBytes of RAM (as far as I remember). In this case using jBridge for isolating the "heavy RAM-VSTis" would be a solution as every instance now is able to allocate 2 GBytes of RAM. The other possibility is to wait for Forte 3 (only as beta at the moment). Here you don`t have any limitation. In every case this only works with more than 2GBytes of physical RAM and a 64 Bit OS.

I use a PC with lots of plugins & 3 Halion & 3 Omnisphere instances (about 30 samples-sounds loaded all in all) and the change times are next to nothing (feels like a hardware workstation). 8)

Good luck and kind regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Return to “Forte and EHCo”