Showing Scene-Names on external LC-Display

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

hisdudeness

Showing Scene-Names on external LC-Display

Postby hisdudeness » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,

half a year ago I built a keyboard to use with a laptop running forte. It has a Fatar 61 key TP/8O keybed, ESI U46XL soundcard intergrated and a Novation Remote control board as well as a holder for the laptop, USB-hub, power supplies etc. (I attached a picture I hope this is working here).
It works very well but I'm thinking about integrating a complete PC into that keyboard (e.g. Zotac IONITX board).

But to do not have a external monitor connected to that "PC-keyboard" all the time I thought about using a small three line LC-display to show the previous, current and next scene name.

Has anybody here yet made any experiences if Forte can send those information e.g. over a COM port to this kind of a display?

Thanks and best regards
hisdudeness

customkey.JPG

Volker Grosch

Re: Showing Scene-Names on external LC-Display

Postby Volker Grosch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi,

fine work, congrats. Concerning your question: I don`t have a solution for this but I remember there was a Controller with LC-Display that is compatible to forte (as far as I remember, it was described somewhere in the forte manual).

Another idea: what about a small ldc- or tft display compatible to VGA standard. Only as indication here a link: http://www.lcdtft.com/search_result.asp ... 20Monitors

I know these products are not really low price but probably a similar product with a lower price can be found. The advantage would be that you also could have access to other functions in forte.

Only my 2 cents,

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm

http://www.brainspawn.com/wiki/index.php?title=API

Look here, that's a start. AFAIK it's the only way for now to retrieve the scenelist from within forte but, strangely, there doesn't seem to be a way to query the current scene name. (I admit I never tested this feature, because I lacked the time to spend on it, but it's been on my wishlist for a long time, we have discussed this topic ("random access to scenes", "forte remote control") a couple of times on the beta forums)

There's no other way to get remote control over the scenelist, so you'll have to program a device so that it retrieves the scenelist from the current rack, and do your display stuff. There are devices available, that could do this (retrieving the data, parse and display it on an LCD screen) but none that I know of have midi capabilities, they all industry-orientated so they are USB, or serial port devices.

It would be easier if the forte API would have support for more universal communication protocols than midi: if a 3rd party device could communicate over a serial COM port then we could perhaps consider to code a little controller app for, say, Iphone/Android/Symbian/Bada devices (over Wifi or Bluetooth) without having to code a virtual Midi device driver (which I'm totally unable to do!)

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks for your input!

Probably Volker is right. The only point against this is that if you use a screen with a resolution below 1024x768 then Forte becomes pretty unusable. But I could create a special skin for a small display resolution.

Thanks and best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 am

Yes, that. of course is another option. You could make a skin that only displays the scene select lcd and make that fullscreen, then access the forte pc from a smartphone. over wifi in terminal server session, that would give you free wireless touchscreen control....
Not bad! I start looking for mobile RDP client right away!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:25 am

Dirk, seems that we're thinking the same way since this is exactly the way I want to go ;-)

RDP but not with a smartphone but a tablet via Wifi Ad-hoc connection. The tablet market is growing and you can get nice devices for decent prices (not talking about that Apple crap). Thinking of an Android tablet instead. Since I need the SceneView feature for my sheets this would be perfect.

Since I use Automap I can configure the basic control for launcing Forte with different racks, skipping through the scenes etc. with the Novation Remote board so I wouldn't need a computer keyboard for the control of Forte while playing live. At home I have connected a wireless computer keyboard and a 27" full HD monitor for configuring the rack.

I'm currently using a Lenovo Thinpad X61 with a Centrino Pro Duo T7300 (2Ghz, 4Mb L2 Cache), 4GB of Ram and a 64GB SSD from Samsung. This is working smooth, stable and fast for all my VSTi's (NI AP, EP, Pro53, B4, Hypersonic and some effects). The most benefit in speed gives the SSD. The rack is starting and changing scenes much faster (~200%) compared to a standard HD.
But then I swapped the drive into an older IBM X60 with a Centrino L2400 (1,66Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache) and everything was almost as fast as on the X61.
And since the prices for mainboards with Intel SU prozessors like those Zotac boards are not that expensive (~180 Euro) I just have to add some RAM, PSU and the drive I have anyway. Just need the tablet with a good anti-glare display....

Best regards
hisdudeness

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:34 am

One question to Volker: Have you ever ordered at that company for LCD-Displays you have recommended?

The are in the US and I wasn't able to find any shipping details.

Edit: Look here what I've found:
http://www.yomoy.de/Lilliput-USB-monito ... 5wodwkKHGA

99,- Euro for a 7" monitor supporting 800x600 pixels connected via USB! If this is working also as the primary monitor that would be THE solution!
Edit2: It DOES work as the primary monitor but turns on not before Windows has booted.

Edit3: This device here is even with touchscreen for 95$:
http://www.newayr.com/en/goods.php?id=68
Hope they ship to Germany ;-)

Last Edit:
That's it:
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1094/? ... medium=CPC

Thanks!
hisdudeness

Angel

Postby Angel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:51 am

Cool discussion here!

Dude, how much did you pay for the blank Fatar keybed? And what electronics are needed to connect the keyed with a USB interface? Could you buy directly from Fatar as a non-commercial end-user?

I have been thinking of something similar for years as there are no masterkeyboards with 88 lightweighted keys and decent controllers on the market. Being a notorious PhD in electrical engineering I spend almost as much of my spare time with tweaking music hard- and software as playing music actually.

Bye,
Angel

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 am

Hi Angel,

the blank Fatar keybed I bought from a German reseller called Doepfer for 150,- Euro. In addition to the keybed you need a Midi-controller which converts the signal from the keybed matrix to a Midi signal. You can either buy that as well from Doepfer (MKE electronic) for 80 Euro (but those. Or in my case I was able to connect the keybed directly to the Novation control board since this was part of a Novation Remote SL37 which is using also a Fatar keybed with the same Midi matrix.

But if you want to go for more than 61 keys you cannot use the MKE electronic but a larger one which is about 150,- Euro (used for the Doepfer PK and LMK models).

For further information regarding Doepfer electronic go to www.doepfer.de

Best regards
hisdudeness

Return to “Forte and EHCo”