Play audio file or track how ??

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

simbiosi

Play audio file or track how ??

Postby simbiosi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:12 am

HI

I need to use some backing tracks and a track with click for the drummer....
is it possible to play audio track .....from forte !!
Is there some VSTI act to play wav file ??
Is it necessary a rewire sequencer ??

thanks a lot

electricfuzz

Re: Play audio file or track how ??

Postby electricfuzz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 am

this i s not something i have done but there does exist VST media/sample players. There is also included in forte an "audio input" module that can accept audio from your sound cards input and i believe there is software available that will route any media player to appear as a hardware input. However as I said, I haven't looked into this myself as I don't have the same needs. Perhaps someone with more experience on this matter could chime in. I do know it can be done with out an external hardware sequencer.

electricfuzz

Postby electricfuzz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:43 am

also forgot to mention, one ability that forte does lack is the ability to direct audio out to two different hardware outs simultaneously. This is easily gotton around by downloading this great aux bus set plugin for free at http://www.solidsoundstudio.net/index.html You will find Dirk's plug-ins as invaluable as his advice here on the forum. Good luck.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:10 am

@Sybiosi: I personally use Energy XT2.5 VST to play backing-tracks and click tracks (any much more).

This being said, I recommend you to spend some time reading the manual, and search the forums. Most of the questions you have been asking here recently concern documented forte features, or already discussed topics.

@Electricfuzz: Thanks for you kind words, forte is a wonderful software and I'm happy if some of my contributions are useful to other users!
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I've been searching and googling for a solution to this same problem. I also am preparing to go live with backing tracks and click tracks.

Dirk: You say you use EnergyXT. Why that app, over, say, Reaper?

Craig
Planet Earth keyboardist - A Tribute to Duran Duran
Dell Inspiron 17R, Intel Core i7, 2.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 8 stripped down to within a micron of its sad bloated self.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi, a quick reply: because eXT is available as a VST plugin,whereas Reaper isn't.

Dirk

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Wed May 22, 2013 2:57 am

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 am

Just a comment here.....because I need a good solution for the 20 Duran Duran songs I'm programming for the stage:

Sam Solo looks like such a simple plug! But will probably do the trick.

I cannot help to wonder further though.... (and this is coming from my gear-headedness and always wanting the BEST there is), why you, Dirk, would use EnergyXT for such a simple task???

Craig
Dell Inspiron 17R, Intel Core i7, 2.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 8 stripped down to within a micron of its sad bloated self.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 am

Hi there... I also use energyXT (for backing track playback) AND Sam Solo (for click playback) for live performances. The main reason is XT sequencer module is just that - a VST sequencer (playback/transport), whereas Solo is a VSTi (sampler instrument/performance).

For simple mono/stereo files there is no real reason not to use Sam Solo I guess, however Sam Solo is a sampler i.e. triggered by Midi Note (afaik) therefore if the midi note dropped for any reason the audio file would stop and a retrigger would begin playback for the beginning again, hence the reason for using this as click playback (i.e. you can sequence, using energyXT, a click for playback in Sam Solo - short sounds... no problem). By using a playback tool/sequencer, a drop/glitch would just drop the audio for that moment but playback would continue as normal.

I also use multiple tracks for backing (not a simple stereo mix) as I balance these on stage (some live mixing) and each venue sounds slightly different so I might want to boost/cut/eq the synth pads or bassline or drum loops or FX or backing vox etc... Again with Sam 2.2 (not SOLO) this could be done, but maybe not as intuitive as using an audio sequencer mixer.

So nothing to do with audio quality (being the best) in my opinion - more to do with using a sampler (instrument) for playback as opposed to a playback tool (sequencer/multitrack).

Not sure if that makes sense but will give you another opinion anyway. :)

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed May 22, 2013 10:45 am

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Wed May 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks guys! That was helpful information. Now off to programming with XT and SamSolo.

Craig

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:06 am

Update: I'm using Sam Solo 1.3 now. It pushes 8 separate stereo outputs to forte. And has 24 sample player slots.I put a stereo backing .wav on SAMPLE 1 slot and it automatically sends to fortes main output bus. The slot 1 is set to "direct line 1".

In forte, I set up 2 more output busses routed to my Scarlett 6i6 interface outputs 3 and 4 separately.

I put a mono click track on SAMs slot 2.... Set to Direct Line 2..... Which automatically routed to the next output bus I created in forte (Scarlett's output 3).

Then I put my mono backing vocals .wav in SAMs slot 3....set to Direct Line 3..... Which forte recognized as my 3rd output bus (set as Scarlett's 4th output).

Each Sam slot was set to receive midi note 36 as the trigger so they all play at the same time when I hit Pad 1 on my Akai MPK61. The pad was programmed to trigger "momentary", because of SAMs gate feature to "hold". If I hit the pad again all samples stop and rewind to the beginning.

It's a little off-putting that you cannot see the waveform like in a DAW, or you can't start the wav in the middle or anywhere else, so if playing live, it's do or die, go time.

Save the scene for each song, make a new scene, input new wav files for the next song, etc etc.

Worked great for a 90 min gig last Friday.

Craig

spittingibex

Postby spittingibex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 am

I once use Sam for Click and Backings but had Dropouts and Klicks, that unsynched Click and Backing Track. Then I switched to Kontakt which worked really well.

Now I use Forte just as a host and Ableton Live only when I need Click and Backings. Thats just perfect in case you don't have 100 songs to play like in a Top40 Band of course.

Best thing would be Ableton Live as VST in Forte. ;)

Procman

Postby Procman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 am

Hi Everybodies,
I tried to install SAM 1.3 to read audio (one different audio file with 2 master tracks + 1 click). But I don't success.
What are the file I must put in the "VST folder" ? (just the .DLL and/or not the .DAT ?).
And my Forte see the plugin but tells me about a problem of "bridge".
Could you help me plase ? Thanks in advance

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 am

A sound font player VST plugin can easily do this, triggering a (or each of a group of) wave file(s) by a midi note or several.
(e.g. free "sforzando": http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

-Michael

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:45 am

Procman

Postby Procman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you very much for your help. I will try again today.
My goal is to launch a 2 tracks playback + 1 track of clic for the drummer.
I have 18 songs, which send program change to a Nordstage, a Triton and a Motif XS Rack (and later to a 01V96 for select scenes by song). And sometime (10 songs) I have to play a playback track (10 differents tracks and clic track).
In the thread I learn about SAM 1.3, or others VST plug-ins. (thank you for that). Maybe I will test Energy XT.
My need is that it would be very simple. Just play a mix (prepared on Cubase on my desktop).
I look too iPad solutions (like Scorcerer, or Cubasis) but it couldn't work at the same time as Forte. the drummer would be the manager of launching the WAV (3 tracks) .
I will send here the "default message" Forte return when trying to launch SAM

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Sounds like a perfect job for a SoundFont player triggered by a Midi Drumpad.

-Michael

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:45 am

Yeah......goll-darnit......I think SamSolo1.3 has been causing drop-outs too. I'm using some pretty large wavs (3 x 90Mb at a time), and its pissing my drummer off. I really do need to try to learn EnergyXT....... plus it'll run my lights too.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:56 am

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:27 pm

All of these tracks ARE being accessed from an SSD. I also have an Intel Core i7 @ 2.4 GHz Inspiron by Dell, 8GB RAM; I've stripped the Win8 bloatware down to nothing.

I don't think running Forte3 32bit instead of 64bit is the issue either (SamSolo plugs are 32bit only).

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:56 pm

The hardware does sound perfect.

So SamSolo1.3 seems indeed to be the culprit.

I tested LinuxSampler (which can be d/led as a Windows version) very successfully (as a stand alone program). I don't know if it can run as a VST. But there are lots of other SoundFont players around.

-Michael

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:38 pm

I wonder if running 3 60Mb wav files at the same time is the issue?

I also tried running Latency Monitor at the same time. No problems in 90 mins. At last nights show, there were 5 blips (audio dropouts).

I wonder if I should run 320kbps mp3s instead?

Or get a MacBook Pro running Mainstage..?

Craig

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm

If the software can do "direct Disk" streaming, the size of the files should not be an issue at all, as the first -say- second of all possible files are preloaded into RAM, and loading from SSD while playing is fast enough

With LinuxSampler I am able to trigger so 30 Wav files at the same time. With Kontakt I use 200 Disk-based samples at the same time.

I don't suppose that MP3 is a good idea as here the decoding takes additional CPU time.

Obviously you need a software supporting "direct Disk" streaming.

A really professional way would be buying the Kontakt 5 full version by NI. Here you can import you files and use lots of options for real-time tweaking. Not really cheap but a lot cheaper - and more versatile - than buying a new computer. -> http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... kontakt-5/

-Michael

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I do own Kontakt. Legally.

How do you envision setting up a backing track player with it?

Thanks in advance!

Craig

MaxMuller

Postby MaxMuller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:01 pm

I can figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:18 pm

AFAIK, Kontakt (full versionm which I don't havve) can use WAV files as "samples" and assign then to midi Notes. (You don't even need to import them.)

Now playing this note (e.g. by taking the midi event from a drum pad) will fire the complete WAV file content, unless you use Kontakt means (envelope) to limit it .

Maybe you need to explicitly set the loop mode "one shot"

-Michael

Return to “Forte and EHCo”