Running Forte on a new Intel X25-M SSD

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

boxerdad

Running Forte on a new Intel X25-M SSD

Postby boxerdad » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:38 am

I just purchased and set up a new Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD on my system. Wow :D - what a difference in PC performance. While the drive write times are an improvement over my old setup, SSD read times are phenominal. One of my instruments is Proteus XV player with a rather large sound bank file. It used to take 8-10 seconds to load with my RAID 0+1 array. Now it takes under 2 seconds. Also, Forte start-up and shut down are quite fast. Overall, I'm very pleased with the performance of the Intel SSD and what it does to inprove overall PC performance. The SSD coupled with a mild (stable) overclock makes the whole system feel much more responsive.

I've been working with the new hardware configuration during rehearsals and have found a few things:

Forte doesn't like to run while PRIME95 is running. I forgot to stop PRIME95 and attempted to run Forte. Oops - it hung up the system and caused me to have to do a hard reset. After a re-boot of the system, Forte stalled during the loading of "Save State". I had to use a back-up rack file. Also noticed that the CPU counter has stopped working. Will re-install Forte and EHCo just to be safe. I won't make that mistake again. :oops:

I also notice that sometimes, scene changes don't always seem to work properly. I'm controlling a Motif Rack via EHCo and sometimes, a scene change doesn't always call up the correct Motif patch. Going to another scene and then switching back to the errant scene usually fixes the problem. The scene changes to the Motif are fairly simple - ony 2 SYSEX command with a 500 ms delay in between the two commands. This also used to happen with the mechanical hard drives. Is there a technique to make scene changes involving EHCo and SYSEX commands more reliable :?:

Return to “Forte and EHCo”