Ideas around future of Midi Filtering Configuration

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

MikeG

Ideas around future of Midi Filtering Configuration

Postby MikeG » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:19 am

I'm starting to think about some of the Midi enhancements that are on the list for forte after the upcoming release.

As you know, today you specify Midi filtering (key range, transpose, CC mapping) by digging down into the plugin and then specifying port/channel mapping, before finally seeing the actual CC or key range setup. When you think about this, this is a long way to get there. You have to navigate by: Selecting Scene, Select Bus or Instrument, Select plugin, Select Midi input port, Select input channel, Select channel map (e.g. if layered, a from channel could correspond to more than one to channel). You are then ready to modify note and CC mapping.

I'm wondering if it would be better to start thinking of a way to look at mapping from a "MIDI Controller-Centric" viewpoint. Start with "I have a knob on my keyboard that I want to do something". Then have a view that looks at that knob's function across all plugins in the rack, and by scene. Same with key range.

This might look like a long filterable list of CC mappings that show what an incoming CC on a port or channel do. You can add, modify, delete, train, etc from this view. The point is that you don't dig down into the UI to find this info, but its a top-level editor screen.

Does this sound attractive?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

dburns

Re: Ideas around future of Midi Filtering Configuration

Postby dburns » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 am

I think it's a great idea. It would help me see just where my midi messages are going. Sometimes I think they are affecting just one plugin, but they are actually being received by several. It would help a lot with troubleshooting a rack.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

umd

Postby umd » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:24 am

I still haven't found any better than EnergyXT's approach to midi/audio routing.

Something like that in Forte would be awesome. :D
Free midi plugins .

fab

Postby fab » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:56 pm

sounds very good, mike - as long as we can still stroe midi maps for vsts and vstis. also, the channel routing should go before the controller assignments.
so that if you have parameteres of two instruments mapped to cc 2, you can map e.g. channel 4 to channel two for one of them and re-use the map that you had made for channel 2.

also, a way to remember the last parameter touched in a vsts user interface and putting that on top of the list of parameters would be very cool (this is what reaper does). then you don't need to go hunting fo rthe parameter you are after. and an option for training so that the trained midi cc is actually overwritten and not layered would add to the usability.

anyhow, i think it is an excellent idea to reduce the menu digging for midi parameters!

fab

cactusfloyd

Postby cactusfloyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:28 am

I have a question here. There are some plugs that doesn't show the names of the parameters you will control, like "parameter0, parameter1, etc", so you have to check each one in order to get control of the one you want, and it's pretty boring and takes a lot of time sometimes (plugins with 30 parameters...).
Is there a file somewhere in which you can rename "parameter0" to "reverb mix" for example?
thanks!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm not aware of such a mapping tool in forte, but if it's a VST there's a tool called VstParamTool.exe that allows you to extract, modify and re-embed the VST parameter stucture of a VST plugin
It comes with the VST 2.4 SDK. The licence agreement does not allow me to post a copy, to get it you should register with Steinberg and download the SDK. (It's free)

I must say I am surprised that there still are VST's that do not name their parameters explicitly, especially if there are so many of them. Are you sure of this? You should check again. Maybe you didn't open the correct contextual submenu.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

cactusfloyd

Postby cactusfloyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm

yes, I'm sure .the plugin is a tape delay called archdbox or something like that, I am at work right now so I can't check it.
That tool works for every VST? or just the Steinberg ones?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:52 pm

That works for every VST, VST being a standard maintained by Steinberg.

If you remember the correct name of your plug, I'll check it out. I did an search attempt withh google to no avail.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

cactusfloyd

Postby cactusfloyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm

found it! it's called ArcDev Dubb Box

I will download the steinberg VST 2.4

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Really like this idea. I think it would complement the current setup. Good luck...

Return to “Forte and EHCo”