Dropouts with Forte Demo

Post here if you are having a problem with or a question about forte that is not about a plugin or audio/MIDI hardware.

Moderator: MikeG

DJ Taylor

Dropouts with Forte Demo

Postby DJ Taylor » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:52 am

After some research to find the right home to play my softsynths live I discovered Forte some days ago. The features really are what I was looking for (program change, scenes, etc.).

Only problem is now that Forte creates some dropout and cracking when I open more than one module for splits or layers. Even after increasing buffer size & number it remains the same.

I mainly use Sample Tank 1. Hardware is a P4 2,4 GHz Notebook with 512 RAM and an Edirol UA-20 Audio Interface. Under Sonar with WDM drivers everything works just fine, but Forte seems to have problems with WDM. When I switch to ASIO it is completely quiet.

How can this be fixed?
Thanks for your help as I definitely consider to get the Quartet version if audio problems can be solved.

DJ Taylor

P.S.:By the way isn´t there any online manual or pdf-file available. I wanted to check out program changes / scene changes by midi controller but no info how that would work.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:23 am

Hello Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for checking out forte. In order to diagnose your problem I need a little more information from you.

1. Open preferences and set logging to "Information" level. Stop and restart forte, get it to dropout, and then email or post your log file (the file itself is available in the Application Data directory of forte (usually C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\brainspawn\forte 1.0\forte.LOG)

2. When it drops out, does the buss signal LED pulse RED? This is a dropout indicator.

3. The online manual is available in PDF form from the Start Menu shortcuts. Let us know if its not there. We think its pretty comprehensive.

Look in the user manual for a section near the end called "Additional Options in Options":

Additional Options in Options.ini
forte stores its configuration options in a file called
“C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\brainspawn\forte 1.0\options.ini”
There are some additional options in this file that can not be configured within the
program Preferences pages and must be configured by directly editing the file.
[Audio]
KSNumExtraBuffers = 0. This indicates the number of extra buffers used when
communicating with WDM soundcards. There are always 2 buffers. This option
increases that number. For example, if KSNumExtraBuffers = 1, forte will use 3 buffers.
ASIOUsePreferredBufferSizeOnly=0. If =1, forte will only access the ASIO driver
using its preferred buffer size. If =0, forte will try to use the minimum buffer size.

I would recommend bumping the value for KSNumExtraBuffers to 1 and then 2. There are certain cards that require an extra buffer or so. Some, we've pre-discovered and adjusted for automatically, but you may have found a new one.

Let us know if this helps.

Mike

DJ Taylor1

Problem Resolution Audio Dropouts

Postby DJ Taylor1 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:41 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your speedy reaction.

First the good message:
- pdf-manual found now. Sorry did not check under start / programm
- the buss led starts blinking red immediately after opening the first module.

Then I tried to follow your instructions with no success.
- forte.log file only says:
[configuration]
Safe_Mode=0

- options.ini not on hard disk

Do I have such a special computer that this files are not generated?
So in that case I had no chance to modify buffer settings as you recommend.

What´s your idea now?

Good luck,
Daniel

P.S. Sorry have to use another user name. My original one is not authorized for log in yet!

ghead

Postby ghead » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:20 pm

Daniel,

First, your original account should be active by now. Please let us know if it isn't working for you.

Now on to the forte problems....

If your options.ini file is missing or can't be created, forte should fail to run. Since forte is running on your system, either something very odd is happening or it is just hiding somewhere on your system. Can you tell us the full path to your forte Application Data directory? This is usually C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\brainspawn\forte 1.0. It would also be helpful to know the names of all the files and sub-directories located there. For example, on my system I have:

Y:\ApplicationData\ghead\brainspawn\forte 1.0

Folders:
Dx User Presets
MIDI Configuration Presets
Preset Manager

Files:
forte.LOG
options.ini

Were you able to set your logging options to 'Information' as Mike earlier requested? Please double check that it is still set that way.

Finally, please open the About Box within forte and report which version and model you are running.

Greg

DJ Taylor

Audio Drop Out Forte Demo

Postby DJ Taylor » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:55 am

Dear Greg,

My account is active now, thanks.

I finally found the hidden options.ini and forte.log files, the log-file is attached. They were located at the path you described: Documents and Settings / Fujitsu Siemens / Own Data / brainspawn / forte 1.0. The folders are named as you described it, too.

After finding them I also followed Mike´s advise to change the value for KSNumExtraBuffers in options.ini to 1 and then 2 - no success. Audio sounds fine up to starting two modules of Sample Tank 1. When opening the 3rd module the drop outs start.

I installed the Forte Demo version 1.1, build 17. Downloaded several days ago.

Hope you have some more info with the attached files now.
Thanks for all support.

Daniel

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:00 pm

Hello DJ,

Thanks for the log file and info. From inspecting it I cannot find anything unusual. On my 2.4 GHz system, 3 Sampletanks take about 13% of the CPU and I have no dropouts.

So you are NOT having audio problems until you add a 3rd Sampletank? If this is the case we can rule out soundcard issues.

Is it possible you are encountering some sort of Sampletank issue? I am running Sampletank LE (DLL version 1.1.4.0).

You might want to create a 2 sampletank rack, open the CPU performance meter (CTRL-ALT-DEL, Performance Tab) and see what kind of CPU usage you are seeing.

Can you create more modules out of other synths?

Thanks,

Mike

DJ Taylor

Postby DJ Taylor » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:52 pm

Hi Greg,

I keep you guys busy today? Hope you don´t have extra hours with my special problem configuration.

You are right, audio problems only start after opening the third module.

Generally Forte seems to cause very high CPU meter levels. 3 instances of Sample Tank have up to 45% but vary from about 20 to 45%. Even after opening only one module this shows between 14 and 25%. Situation is the same when opening e.g. DreamStation DXi or others.

In Sonar 2.2 I experience no dropouts with a latency of 8 ms and several softsynths.

I think I have to bury my dreams to use Forte as live host, at least on this notebook.

Good luck
Daniel

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:23 pm

Is your notebook AMD or Intel-based?

DJ Taylor

Postby DJ Taylor » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:32 am

DJ Taylor

Postby DJ Taylor » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:22 pm

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:14 pm

DJ Taylor