Using integrated motherboard sound?

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

Mr Beverage

Using integrated motherboard sound?

Postby Mr Beverage » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi All,
I'm thinking of upgrading my system and was wondering if anyone has tried using the integrated sound that comes on a high end gaming motherboard?
I think the sound quality on the latest gaming boards has come a long way. Has anyone tried it?
How did it sound compared to dedicated sound cards/interfaces such as E-MU 0404 USB? or even an Audigy 2 sound card?
Also, Is anyone gigging with Win 10, 64 bit system?
Thanks much,
Mr. B.

evilantal

Re: Using integrated motherboard sound?

Postby evilantal » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:57 am

It's not so much the sound quality that makes using an audio interface a necessity.
The external audio interface unloads your computer's processor from the calculations needed to process the audio. See it as a tiny second computer that only handles audio calculations. It's a performance issue, not a sound quality issue.

The more plugins you use at the same time and the lower latency you play at, the more necessary an interface becomes.

Though, if you only use a few CPU light plugins (like Synth1 or some such), it shouldn't be a problem using ASIO4ALL drivers.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Mr Beverage

Re: Using integrated motherboard sound?

Postby Mr Beverage » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Ah, I see. So any dedicated sound card (PCI or USB) has a dedicated processor. The integrated sound chips still must use the main CPU for processing sounds (digital to analog converting)? That makes sense.
Thanks much.
B.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”