Realtek cracks

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

Angelo

Realtek cracks

Postby Angelo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 am

Hi,
Is it normal that Realtek High Definition Driver produces a lot of cracks even with high buffer sizes ?
My system: MSI GX620, Windows XP SP3.
The Realtek driver is up to date. No problems at all with RME Multiface.
Thanks
Kind Regards
Angelo

Angelo

Re: Realtek cracks

Postby Angelo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 am

Hi,
I have seen that changing the Realtek hardware output on the bus makes a big difference. Some outputs do not work at all, some distort the signal, some work perfectly. Any suggestion ?
Thanks
Regards
Angelo

Angelo

Postby Angelo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:28 am

Again,
I have tried with Savihost: no problems. So, it seems related, at least in part, with Forte (I have the last version installed). The level bar moves correctly but the audio outputs is somewhat random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is distorted, sometimes muted.
Thanks
Regards
Angelo

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Hmmm... It sounds like it could be a Clock sync problem. I've had similar issues in multiple applications where, for whatever reason, the audio interface's clock setting frequency mismatching the host. It shouldn't happen that way, I think, but when I set them to the same (48kHz is what I opt for) manually it did the trick...

Have you tried adjusting the clock settings instead of buffer size (or combination of the 2?)

***edit*** out of curiosity, if you are using the RME Multiface, does that not have its own drivers? RME drivers?

Angelo

Postby Angelo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi DarkKman,
I fully agree with you. The distortion is a motorboating, a sort of beat with a low repetition frequency. The beat is minimized at 44100 and buffer=441 but cannot be eliminated. I do not know how to modify the Realtek clock frequency (WDM high definition driver) to obtain a better sync. Any idea ?
I have tried with several high definition Realtek drivers without success. No problems with other hosts.
The RME Multiface is my preferred device and has its own ASIO driver. But sometimes I want to test something on my laptop without the external interface.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Angelo

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Aah... Ok... I'm not a techie so can't explain why this happens. However, I would recommend you try out ASIO4ALL then (link below) - its a wrapper for the WDM drivers and allows your laptop to take advantage of ASIO using your internal soundcard! This won't allow you to change thr driver clock BUT it does have a feature which allows 44.1 to be resampled as 48 where required...

ASIO4ALL is defintiely the way to go if you are not using your RME...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 am

I second that. I always use Asio4All when I have no external interface available.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Angelo

Postby Angelo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:25 am

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Asio4All is well known and I have used it many times. But an electronic engineer like me wants to know why something does not work :D .
Kind Regards
Angelo

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:15 am

In my experience this can be caused by so many different things...

Have you tried Latency checks like to see if there's something going on when you hear the clicks? Disabling various (non-essential drivers) as you go to see which is offending?

I also use ?

At Least you can rule a few things out!

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”