Simple footswitch

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

paulrwoolley

Simple footswitch

Postby paulrwoolley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi. Hoping someone can help. In the forte 3 promotional blurb, it mentions you can use a footswitch to forward to the next scene.

I am looking for a footswitch that will do just that. And maybe also reversed so as to go back to the previous scene.

So i envisage a unit with two switches. One for next scene and one for previous.

So could someone suggest a possible unit? No gimmicks. Just something that does the job.

Also, being new to this, how does it connect to the laptop? Via usb?

Many thanks in advance!

Burtan

Re: Simple footswitch

Postby Burtan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Ultimately, you need a device which can speak Midi. This can be a footswitch with build-in midi conversion or a footswitch with a 1 pole cable connected to a device which converts it to Midi. I'm using the Kore Controller to plugin two 1 pole foot switches for switching presets and one 2 pole expression pedal.

paulrwoolley

Postby paulrwoolley » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 am

Hi. Still having trouble finding a footswitch. I use a windows-based laptop and a yamaha p105 keyboard. If someone could give me the make and model of a simple "next scene/previous scene" footswitch, i would be much obliged!

Many thanks!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:11 am

Hi

If you use a midi controller like a master keyboard and it has the possibility to plug in an external foortswitch, than any switch will do, preferably one that's sold as "sustain pedal", meaning it's a temporary switch, not an on/off switch, but in any case forte can be configured to use any of both.

If you don't have any midi controller, than you'll need to buy one. I've heard of midi-footswitches that work independently, meaning it has onboard midi converters to behave as a midi interface) but sincerely, that's WAY over the top for this task.

(Basically I'm reformulating Burtan's reply to your request, which was as complete as it could be)

If you are not familiar with Midi, and don't want to dig into it, you can also take your computer's keyboard apart, then somehow attach two wires between the contacts of any key (you'll need two of these for next-previous) then solder them to the poles of a temporary switch sturdy enough to be used as a footpedal (two of these). But that looks like a very desperate solution to me.

Cheers
Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

paulrwoolley

Postby paulrwoolley » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks Dirk

I will be using a Yamaha P105 keyboard to operate forte 3. Obviously it has a jack input for damper/sustain pedal; but I will be using a damper pedal, so can't use this input for a midi footswitch. Is there not a USB footswitch which can be plugged direct to the pc, and configured so that when pressed it represents, say, the space bar, and therefore moves forward one scene?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Well, just googling 'usb footswitch' brings up quite some material to choose from.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Marco73

Postby Marco73 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello,
I use the dual footswitch controller by midisolutions, connected with some cheap pedals. There's a programming tool to load the programs. First I send a program change from the master keyboard and the footswitch read it; then when I press the pedal 1 it sends to Forte a program change 1 unit upper, if I press the pedal 2 it sends a program change 1 unit lower. In this way, when I play a song, I have the scene for the intro, press pedal, I have the scene for the verse, press, chorus, press, lead and so on. The footswitch is not cheaper, but I like very much, because I can change scenes leaving hands free.

http://www.midisolutions.com/proddfs.htm

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”