IPAD app

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

pedrosura

IPAD app

Postby pedrosura » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Has it ever been suggested or discussed here the possibility or developing an app
To control busses,instrumentents volumes, mutes and solos for a Forte Rack. I think that
It may be to much development effort for the payoff but since I have one for Omnisphere and
Feel that the Ipad turns my midi controller into a very cool instrument I got the idea that the ipad
Would work a lot better than my BCR2000 when using Forte. Because I have a ton of instruments on my rack and it would be less cumbersome.

Another thought is to buy a ALL-in-one computer with touchscreen. That would make it great. Anyone here has that?

Burtan

Re: IPAD app

Postby Burtan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 am

There are some apps available for both android and iOS to send OSC data which can be converted to midi by for example puredata. One could consider to implent OSC in forte to make this a little more straight forward. I think that should be combined with an overhaul of the GUI which is afaik planned for Forte 4.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 am

I would also be interested in this...
At the moment I use an Android tablet to log in to my rack pc and control it remotely. It works, but is a little awkward sometimes. A native app to control forte and maybe some vst functions might be a little more handy.
I'll look into this puredata.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 am

Have a look here http://www.dawsound.com/#!downloads/c1ioh

DAWOSC is afaik the most advanced controller for android (although it's quite new!). I'm using it to control my digital mixer (TotalMixFX by RME). However, there is a puredata patch for midi conversion.

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am

There is an app where you can build
Midi controls called

TB MIDI Stuff

Im going to give it a try it is only $6

Sonoacustico

Postby Sonoacustico » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Check out this app, it is a 100% customizable MIDI controller, you can create buttons, sliders, XY pads, and assign them to virtually any MIDI message you can imagine.
http://mididesigner.com/

Cheers

Claudio

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Sonoacustico

Postby Sonoacustico » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:58 pm

I've got it working!
It's really really cool, you could try getting the free version, that has a limited number of controls to be added, apart from that is fully functional, so, very good for test purposes. It would be even better if the app could change the labels' names of the controls on scene change, but that might be too much to wish for ;-)
Cheers

Claudio

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Hey Claudio,
Could u post your file??

Sonoacustico

Postby Sonoacustico » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Pedro, well, not sure what do you really mean, it's just a bunch of midi routing. I could try to post a video of myself using it at home with forte

Cheers

Claudio

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes, i went to the website and it looks like you build a midi instrument that then talks to Forte. So what is that process and what do you do on the Forte side to get it to work..??a video would be sweet.

Sonoacustico

Postby Sonoacustico » Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, the process is really really simple.
You add buttons (toggle or momentary), sliders, XY-Pads, Knobs, to your ipad/iphone and you can assign them to send virtually any MIDI message you can think of: Note On/Off, PC, CC, pitch bend, Sysex, Aftertouch, etc etc.
You may send MIDI to Forte through any IOS/MIDI interface or wi-fi through RTPmidi, so forte does see a new MIDI port, that you can configure on the MIDI routing tab on the VSTi you're using.
Cheers!

Claudio

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 am

Ok. I guess I was interested in it to control Bus volume, instrument volumes, etc as opposed to send instrument midi data.. Thats fine. I get it now

dburns

Postby dburns » Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 pm

I haven't tried this yet with MIDI Designer, but I'll bet you could set up your Forte Rack to use the Automated Fader (or Dirk's Basic Strip) to control volume on your busses (I do this), then use MD to adjust the faders.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

Lane77

Postby Lane77 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 am

Your phorum post on www.brainspawn.com offers the same submit as another article author but i much like your far better.

Xenophile

Postby Xenophile » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am

I've been using Lemur to call up patches on my Yamaha Motif Rack ES for a few years, and it is very cool, and very powerful. I just got Forte to try using soft synths on gigs... We'll see how it goes. I'd love to have an iPad app to mirror Forte's Scene View screen.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”