NanoKontrol2 causing Forte to freeze- FIXED

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

mcgoo

NanoKontrol2 causing Forte to freeze- FIXED

Postby mcgoo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:15 am

Hi-

I'm fairly new to Forte, but have spent the last few weeks programming my rack with all the various scenes, control settings, etc. So far, so good.... except Forte seems to freeze almost everytime I use my Korg NanoKontrol 2. I can reliably make my rack freeze & stop working if I start moving faders. I don't have to be playing or doing anything else like changing scenes... just moving knobs or faders. Sometimes Forte freezes on the 1st move, sometimes the 10th, but I can pretty much count on the NanoKontrol2 freezing Forte. I used the Control Editor to assign knobs & faders to bus & instrument volumes only.

My rig:
Older Core2Duo Laptop, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM internal drive, audio samples on external 7200 RPM drives, only 400 MB RAM used by samples.
2 keyboards- a Korg SV1 and a M-Audio Axiom 61. I have the Korg's controls filtered out. I use the Axiom's sliders to transmit Drawbar info to the Native Instruments B4. Those controllers do not cause Forte to freeze.

Troubleshooting I've tried so far:
The Nano was plugged into a USB hub with my mouse and I tried bypassing the hub, but that didn't make a difference.

My "gig rack" setup has multiple instruments, some Aux sends & effects, so I tried loading a rack with one instrument, no sends & no effects. NanoKontrol2 still caused Forte to freeze.

I opened Sonar, recorded a bunch of slider movements from the Nano & nothing looked unusual- just a bunch of controller data (no sysex or anything else that might clog the stream).

Any clues / ideas on how to troubleshoot / solve the issue?

thanks,

greg

EDIT: see post below for update.
Last edited by mcgoo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dburns

Re: NanoKontrol2 causing Forte to freeze

Postby dburns » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi,

I use the original nanoK, but maybe I can help. I use it mostly to control Dirk's Basic Strip for track volume, and to select patch changes in Guitar Rig.

http://www.solidsoundstudio.net

I would make a very simple rack with one instrument and the nanoK for testing. "Learn" some parameters with the nanoK. Keep adding complexity until Forte freezes.

Make sure your nanoK data is being sent only where you want it. Choose only the MIDI port and channel you want to use for each parameter, and be sure it can only go there. Disable all unused ports/channels/CCs.

Be sure you haven't created a MIDI loop. You could be sending CCs to multiple destinations, causing a crash.

Basically, analyze your MIDI routing. Use the Controllers and MIDI Monitor tabs in Forte's MIDI Routing tab to troubleshoot.

This just a start, hope it helps. If it's any comfort, the nanoK should work fine with Forte. Once you find the problem, you'll be happy to use it.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:01 pm

dburns

Postby dburns » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:05 pm

You are welcome.

Maybe try using nanoK directly, instead of as a control surface? Just use MIDI Learn to assign things. It seems to me that defining it as a Control Surface in Forte, if that's what you've done, would just add unnecessary overhead and complexity.

I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable members will post here soon.
Dave Burns

Lowell, MA USA

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm

dburns

Postby dburns » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:10 am

I could be misunderstanding too. :)

Here's how I have my rack set up with the nanoK. You can use either of two insert effects; the included Brainspawn Automated Fader, or SolidSoundStudio's Basic Strip, written by Dirk Offringa, a regular here. Dirk's has a few more features.

http://www.solidsoundstudio.net/html/basic_strip.html

Both are set up essentially the same way. Here's an example using the Brainspawn Automatic Fader.

After you add a new rack module, add the Automatic Fader (AF) to the module's audio effects patch point (the bin to the right of the module). Right click the bin, and choose it from the VST list.

Then double-click the AF insert, go to its MIDI Routing Tab, and enable the proper port and channel. There you will see the Controllers Tab, where you can click "Train," move a slider/knob on the nanoK, and Forte will pick it up. Then r-click (I'm on Windows) the new entry and choose "attenuation."

Now, moving your nanoK slider should move the virtual slider in the bin, and control the volume of your module. You can use it on buses too.

I usually set the green volume slider to the left of each module to 0.0 dB, and use either Dirk's or Brainspawn's fader inserts for volume control.

If this isn't clear, post back and I'll try to help.
Dave Burns

Lowell, MA USA

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Ahh.... ! :D

Ok. I deleted the Nano as a control surface & setup a bunch of automated faders. No freezes so far. The tradeoff is that I won't have a visual of the fader psoition on screen, but as long as everything's working, I can simply use the Nano itself as the visual for the fader's position. Seems like a worthwhile tradeoff. :wink:

Thanks again for the help Dave!!! I can only guess that something, somewhere wasn't co-operating with the Nano as a Control Surface. Couldn't find a MIDI loop, but it sure acted like something was clogging the stream.

I think (hope!) I'm good to go for now.

regards,

greg

dburns

Postby dburns » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm glad it's working!

There is a nice utility you can use if you want to see a complete mixer-style overview of your sliders. You can use it between the nanoK and Forte, like this: nanoK-->Blue Cat's Remote Control-->Forte.

Check out Blue Cat's Remote Control: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... teControl/

Have fun!
Dave Burns

Lowell, MA USA

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 am

Cool tip! I'll see if I miss seeing the faders in real world use. If so, I'll get this.

greg

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm going to get a nanoKontrol2 and build a CS definition for it.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

mcgoo

Postby mcgoo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 pm

mcgoo

Re: NanoKontrol2 causing Forte to freeze- FIXED

Postby mcgoo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

UPDATE:

Mike's latest Beta version fixed this. I'm now using the Nano Kontrol2 as a control surface. I customized it a bit to do instrument & bus volumes, next scene / previous scene, Play start / stop, and mute / unmute instruments. All with immediate visual feedback in the rack & not a glitch in sight.

That my friends is pretty awesome customer support, when you consider that Mike saw this thread, went & bought the usit & updated his software to be compatible!

regards,

greg

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”