CPU throttling

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

Dirk Offringa

CPU throttling

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:00 am

Hi

I'm upgrading my Live PC finally, got some second-hand components and bought an ssd, and was wondering what you guy's do with the power settings and all the "green" stuff" that modern hardware offers. I'm all for the "green" approach, but I don't want any clicks or whatever, obviously. On the other hand, I would like to keep the PC as cool as possible using the stock CPU cooler from Intel (my "new" CPU is an i5-760 quad-core, not that new, but certainly a step up from my current P4!). The stock cooler is indeed lightweight and small, and I can transport the PC in the van without fear of breaking something, which is not the case with the HUGE aftermarket coolers. For now, I set Windows to use Performance settings, which would normally avoid CPU throttling. It's not entirely clear who overrides who: Windows, or the BIOS settings, BTW. What do you guys do?

(Heat is an issue, because I'm touring outdoors in summer, and I live in the Mediterranean region)

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Angel

Re: CPU throttling

Postby Angel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Dirk,

I'm still on stage with my 5 years old laptop (Core2Duo 2GHz). I disabled every energy saving option I found during all the time, BIOS or system. In every millisecond on stage I want all the power the system has to offer. I had some problems in small but crowded and hot clubs. The laptop got too hot and the CPU throttled speed to save itself. Complete audio explosion. Then I bought a laptop cooler with a large but quiet fan which is attached under the laptop in my live rig. No problems since then. Everything cool and rock-solid.

Bye,
Angel

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am

Hi

I have a Core2Duo laptop (Lenovo T61) as my spare PC, I switched the the Intel Speedstep off in the BIOS so it runs at full speed all the time. I was thinking about what would happen when I'd really need to use the laptop on stage in the middle of the summer outdoors.You're post is helpful: It confirms that I absolutely need to set up some extra external cooling. What is the average CPU usage of you rack? BTW I installed an SSD in the laptop, this makes it run cooler as well.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:41 am

Average CPU: 20% to 30% when idle, up to 70% during playing. Just keyboard MIDI in, no audio inputs.

SSDs are a good idea, as my 7200 rpm HDD together with my Echo Indigo DJX audio interface in the express card slot produce considerable heat.

Angel

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 am

I'm using a very modern laptop (Elitebook 8460p, Quadcore i7, SSDs) but I did not experience any heat issues with my old one (Dell Vostro Core2Duo) either. I do it the same way as Angel does and deactivated any power saving. A very nice tool to check your CPU behaviour is [url="http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/ThrottleStop.shtml"]ThrottleStop[/url]

The link does not work?

Burtan

Postby Burtan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 am

Ah, here is the official page:

http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”