Pitch Wheel Assignment to Another Keyboard

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

citizenzero

Pitch Wheel Assignment to Another Keyboard

Postby citizenzero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to map the pitch wheel on one keyboard to control another keyboard (that doesn't have a pitch wheel). I have a Roland XP-80 (set on MIDI Channel 2) and would like it's pitch wheel to control a Yamaha YPT-200 which only has basic MIDI (will only broadcast on Channel 1 and doesn't have any extras like a pitch wheel). Is there a way of doing this? I'm not very versed in MIDI functionality, so please be very detailed in your reply.....and thanks in advance!

Paul

sosKeys

Re: Pitch Wheel Assignment to Another Keyboard

Postby sosKeys » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi Paul,

You need the EHCo plugin to do this, but it is a simple matter to assign an EHCo instance to the keyboard you want to control, then route MIDI CC1 events. As an example, I have an Alesis QS8.1 and a Yamaha SY77 in my home practice setup. To route the mod wheel from the SY to the QS, I go to the EHCo instance for the QS:

Then I go to the tab for MIDI Routing and the sub-tab for Controllers to set the desired parameters:

In the example shown (using the new beta version that will be released with Forte 3), I am sending MIDI on Ch14 from the SY and I want it routed to Ch1 on the QS. In addition, I've set a Max value of 100 which rescales the original range from 0-127 down to 0-100 and set the initial value to 100. I often use this very configuration to keep the vibrato (LFO) depth from becoming excessive on certain patches without having to go in and edit the patch itself. The initial value is particularly useful for CC07 to make sure that volume is set to 0 when a scene is loaded... since I use a volume pedal for all upper kb patches, this is my standard config to ensure that the instrument is off until I move the pedal.

EHCo does a lot.. check out the web page and the manual. One caveat... you say that your Yamaha kb only sends on Ch1... does it receive MIDI? Obviously that will be required for EHCo to work. BTW, there's also a freeware VST that converts Aftertouch to CC data, making it possible to use pressure to control a synth that responds to CC1.

Thanks,
-andy

Dirk Offringa

Re: Pitch Wheel Assignment to Another Keyboard

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 am

Hi

Of course your second device must be able to recognise pitch-wheel messages and have the corresponding sound generation algorithm implemented.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”