Audio-Input in plugin not working

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

hisdudeness

Audio-Input in plugin not working

Postby hisdudeness » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 am

Hello,

I noticed something weird and not sure if it`s a bug or a trick:

I bought a Korg microStation which you can control via it`s VST-Editor from Forte. So far so fine. But the audio signal from the microStation I also want to control with Forte (mute/volume level) so I thought to route it`s audio signal back into my soundcard and then through Forte using the Audio input tab in it`s VST-Editor plugin in Forte.
But when I choose the appropriate input channel I don`t get any signal. When I add a new instrument bus with Audio Input it works fine. So it`s not a soundcard routing problem but something with the audio input tab. This is also not related to the microStation VST-plugin since it doesn`t work on any other plugin either.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Re: Audio-Input in plugin not working

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am

Hi

That probably means that the VST editor HAS implemented the mandatory processreplacing() function but instead of performing a simple outputs==inputs transfer it fills the output buffers with zeros. So you can't get any sound through. I do not understand what you mean by "it doesn't work with any other plugin either". Maybe I didn't get the point!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the reply. Yes indeed when reviewing my post it might be a bit weird ;-)

With any instrument bus in Forte you have on the second tab of the instrument bus the "Audio input" where you can select an audio input source. This is not working. I CAN choose the ports from my soundcard there but no audio signal is comming through. I don`t think that this is anything related to the loaded VST-plugin on that instrument bus nor related to the soundcard. What is that "Audio Input" tab for?

Different when I add an extra Audio Input instrument bus. Then everything is fine.

Sounds clearer?

---------------------------------
Update: I guess I`ve found out!

On page 39 in the manual is written (at least I understand it this way) that the audio input in the instrument console is sent directly to an existing audio input of the instrument itself (instead of sending to the audio bus/mix as I`ve understood so far). And since MOST of the vst-instruments do not support this there is the extra Audio Input available without any instrument.

Yes, yes...I know. RT(Fine)M :oops:

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”