Best audio interface

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

calegher

Best audio interface

Postby calegher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:25 am

Hello all,
I continue to have problems in the process "Forte.exe" I can not kill in the event of a crash.
there is a way to kill the process "Forte.exe" without waiting 5min? :roll:
I was told that it is a driver issue of the audio interface (Tascam MkII). Drivers for Win7 are the latest updates downloaded from the site tascam.com
If I change the audio interface, what are the best to use Forte in Win7?
Thanks for your answers

Best regard
Marco

Volker Grosch

Re: Best audio interface

Postby Volker Grosch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Marco,

I agree it`s a pitty if you cannot kill the forte-process in the case of a crash. What happens if you try to kill the process by hand? Do you get an error message or simply no reaction?

Concerning the driver problem: drivers can be the reason for instabilities in many cases. But before changing the soundcard: is there a chance to do some testing with another soundcard (maybe onboardcard with asio4all driver, a card from a friend or your local dealer)? You really should be sure that the card is the reason of all the problems.

Soundcards I could recommend: personally I use 2 soundcards without any problems:

1) RME Hammerfalls DSP with Multiface on my Desktop PC
2) Echo Indigo DJx on my laptop

RME is well known for superstable drivers (PCs) and good support. My soundcard is older than 8 years and the latest driver updates is from the end of 2010. The latency I use is 3ms, for small loads 0,7ms are possible. Maybe the new RME babyface also could be intersting for you.

good luck and regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

calegher

Postby calegher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:47 am

Thank you Volker,
Unfortunately non reaction....
thakns for all...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 am

Hi

It's difficult to answer your question: most audio interfaces are decent, and you did experience yourself that even products from leading brands (Tascam is a leading brand in the audio industrie for ages now) might not be suited for a particular use, or in combination with prticular software.

The interface chip in products from companies that produce a huge collection of gear (speakers, keyboards, PA's, watches, trains and aeroplanes) is often produced by a 3rd party company that also writes and maintains the drivers.

The best stuff comes from companies for which audio interfaces is one of the core businesses, do their development in-house, and are around for at least a decade.

RME has a great reputation, MOTU has too (that's what I use: like Volcker's RME, my MOTU 2408/PCI 324 and 424 combis are running flawlessly for over 10 years now here, and drivers are still being updated). Just to name a few.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:31 am

I'll just chip in and say that I had this problem in the past. The MIDI drivers were not being released by the audio interface.
I used to use a laptop with an Edirol UA-101 USB interface.

Recently, I built a rackmount PC and switched to using that with a EMU 1616M PCI interface.
So far, this has worked flawlessly; during rehearsals as well as gigs.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Evilantal,

I`m using the same interface and I`m quite satisfied with it although I`m still struggeling what the best settings would be.

Can you let me know with which latency/ASIO settings you`re running your device within Forte?

Thanks a lot!
Best regards
hisdudeness

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”