Recover from lost Midi?

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

mhertzbe

Recover from lost Midi?

Postby mhertzbe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Once in a blue moon my midi connection to the computer is lost. It might be a glitch in my midi controller, maybe a midi or power cable gets unplugged.

I can reestablish the midi connection to the computer in seconds by power cycling the controller, replugging the cable, whatever is needed.

But Forte has lost the connection to the midi device and I haven't found a way of recovering without exiting and re-starting Forte, an awkward pause in the show while a few gigabytes of samples are reloaded. Am I missing a way around this?

Yes, I know this goes to illustrate the importance of using rock solid hardware and wiring that prevents cable pulls. But sooner or later $#!%* will happen. After all, what is a panic button for? :^)
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

Dirk Offringa

Re: Recover from lost Midi?

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 am

Yes, that has happened to me as well one day (maybe two). USB connectors weren't designed with touring in mind. I second the idea of a "reconnect interfaces" option (of course, assignable to a keyboard shortcut).

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

evilantal

Re: Recover from lost Midi?

Postby evilantal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:14 am

I think using Maple virtual cables would solve this problem. Assign each USB MIDI port to a virtual port using Maple Tools, then use those virtual ports in forte instead of the actual physical ports.
Now forte won't notice if the physical ports are disconnected as it can still see the virtual ports associated with them...
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”