Forte and Cubase sharing audio busses?

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

hisdudeness

Forte and Cubase sharing audio busses?

Postby hisdudeness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 am

Dear all,

I thinking of running Cubase 3 SX and Forte simultanously. Forte for all my key VSTi's and Cubase for live mixing and recording.

This is working basicly pretty well using my Novation Automap controller, an EMU 1616m audio interface, Cubase SX 3 and all my preferred VSTi's. I just figured out one issue:
When I start Forte first and then Cubase everything is fine. But when I start Cubase first and then Forte I get no sound out of the dedicated EMU audio port. Forte itself seems to work as usual, I see the peaks for every VSTi, the audio busses are available, everything is ok. I just get no sound and in the mixing panel of the EMU there's no signal received (peak meter is dead) as well as in Cubase.
It seems that Cubase "blocks" the audio channels when started before Forte.

I guess this is rather a Cubase question/issue but probably someone made this experience already and can help me out.

I also thought to solve this with Dirk's AuxBus V2 since I remember that these are also working cross-plattform?

Thanks and best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Re: Forte and Cubase sharing audio busses?

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:48 am

Hi,

If I recall well, there's a setting in Cubase that says "release drivers in the background" or something, you might want to check that out. I have had Nuendo and forte running together without any problem on my MOTU hardware. And yes indeed, the AuxBus V2 SRE version has cross-host cababilities that allow for true zero latency audio bridging while maintaining full access to the audio hardware for both apps, and as such, is the only availble solution for what you want to do. There are other solutions (like the ReStream virtual ASIO driver that comes with Reaper) but these solutions do daisy-chaining, thus adding latency (each app adds its usual latency to the chain).

This being said, why would you want to use Cubase for mixing? Doesn't your soundcard have a built-in DSP for that? Most have nowadays.

And also, I must emphasize that the SRE version of the auxbusses were designed with recording in mind. If you make ONE single mistake during performance, you can get the whole setup out of sync. It's perfectly possible but you must absolutely fully understand how it works. I will of course assist you there if neccessary.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:48 am

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the quick reply!

Yes my soundcard has a DSP and mixing possibilities but I can't remote them with my Novation Remote board ;-) Otherwise this would be the easiest way with one exception: recording.

Also: I don't want to have all done with Forte (since I could also do the mixing with Forte which I can easily remote with my Novation remote board) because IF I need to restart Forte due to hangs or Midi/Audio issues I don't want to have the whole band affected by a restart of Forte ;-)

Thanks for the hint with the Cubase option, I will check it out!

Regarding your Aux busses: I can't find the link anymore to the download page and I have lost the installer somehow by reimaging my laptop. Could you PM me the link once more?

Thanks a lot!!!

Best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 am

Ok. I have just one observation: I use forte to mix the whole band for many years now and it never let me down even once, except one particular problem that occasionnaly appeared on scenechange but has been corrected since. I would NEVER prefer Cubase for mixing a whole band over forte. Cubase in absolutely not a live audio workstation, it's a sequencer software aimed towards home-studio users.

And if you are planning to use both softwares on a single machine sharing the same ASIO driver, I do not agree that that design is safer than a forte-only set-up, I'd rather say it's less safe. You're stressing the drivers much more than a single app would. And if you lock the driver, you'd have to restart the whole system anyway. If you're that concerned about risk distribution management, you should either use a hardware mixer, or use the soundcard's onboard DSP even if you can't use your current controller (search your documentation, maybe the firmware provides an interface to some other Control Surface (my Motu supports Macky Control).

I will PM the download links to the AuxBus V2 files ASAP. I will make those public, but I don't have time to redesign the website....

Dirk

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:27 am

Correction: I cannot send PM's, there's a problem with brainspawn's server. Please email me at info AT(convert) solidsoundstudio DOT(convert) net so I can send them over regular email

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Just a small update: With Cubase LE4 it is working without issues.

The problem with the EMU Patchmix software is that it is definetely not controlable with midi remotes. No midi nor Mackie integration.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”