Anyone using a server for

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

bsamuels

Anyone using a server for

Postby bsamuels » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there was using server hardware to run audio. it seems the additional processing power would be a benefit.

sosKeys

Re: Anyone using a server for

Postby sosKeys » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 am

I'm running a 1U, short depth Supermicro server with a quad core Xeon L3360, 2.83 GHz/12MB L2 cache/65W, same CPU as the Core 2 Duo Q9550S. CPU load is never a problem, though I am using it only for my own sounds at the moment. I run Ivory (two instances with different sample sets), most modules in NI Komplete 4/5, RP Predator, fabFilter Twin 2, Korg DLC, and three EHCo instances to support hardware synths. The OS is Win7 x64 with 32 bit forte... this has the (apparent) advantage of better stability with large amounts of RAM used: I am frequently seeing > 70% RAM usage with no stability problems at all. The plan is for the guitarist to use synth modules in forte as well, but I have to demonstrate stability for a long time before he will forget the years of grief my on-stage PC-based systems have given us and rely on my rig ;-)

The real trick was getting Firewire support and an add-in video card at the same time since server boards (a) don't generally have 1394 support, (b) don't usually have good graphics, and (c) have RAM oriented front to rear instead of top to bottom for airflow management. There is only one available slot in the small form factor chassis, so I have a firewire card connected via flex riser and buried in the depths of the case. Video is a Quadro NVS295x1 to overcome the crappy onboard XGI Volari video chip and provide high quality DVI. This really helps with using the picture background in SceneView to display music, automating page turns.

-andy

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:13 am

Interesting.... does that run cool enough to be used for outdoor gigs in hot summmer afternoons?

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

sosKeys

Postby sosKeys » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am

I haven't had the opportunity to try it under those conditions, but with some experimentation I made some pretty effective custom ducting out of card stock and have the CPU staying quite cool, <40C in ~26-28 C ambient. The video card may be the biggest problem but is currently ok, warm but not hot to the touch, with the addition of a slow-running 4 cm, 5 cfm fan. I'll post photos if you are interested, can definitely advise about some pitfalls to avoid.

One additional bit: the video card will handle two displays, so I am waiting/hoping to get Sceneview to run in the secondary and use Novation Automap on the primary.

-andy

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”