midi guru needed

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

lancaster6

midi guru needed

Postby lancaster6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 pm

i'm using triton extreme as main controller of my rig. have 3 softsynths set to 3 different midi channels so i can use a single rack for all my needs. i just bought a studiologic vmk 176 plus and midi'd it (out to in) to the triton. it triggers the internal triton sounds, but does not trigger the softsynths. i'm guessing due to the midi channel 1 output to the extreme. the SL does not seem to have an "omni" midi choice, where i could send all channels at once. is there a way around this through routing in forte? i just want the sl to be a mirror of the triton with better and bigger action, and already setup splits. thx

Dirk Offringa

Re: midi guru needed

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 am

Probably because the second keyboard doesn't do soft midi-thru or doesn't have that option enabled. You should look if the Triton has a soft-midi thru option, or use the hardware midi-thru output to another midi input device on the computer if you have one available. Or directly plugin both synths on different midiport of your computer if you have them avaible, using forte's midirouting and EHCO to repatch stuff at your convenience.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:32 am

downloaded the trial version of ehco, but i cant figure out how to patch it. both keyboards have usb, so i can connect them to the laptop directly. the manual says to create a vst for ehco, and i see i can create a vmi (virtual something or other, don't have it in front of me right now). do i need either or both of these options? i assume i need to patch out of the studiologic in to the triton, this is where i get stuck. could you maybe briefly describe the process?
thx for the fast reply !

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:19 am

well i've tried, but even using ehco, it seems i get no more functionality than if i connected midi out to in with a wire. i guess the trex does not have the ability to "soft midi thru". back to the drawing board. gonna get way more complicated then i had hoped.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:09 am

Triton Extreme =>Parameter Guide=>Appendices=>Midi applications=>Connecting Midi devices(page 288)

Use a proper MIDI interface, not the integrated UBS midi interface which is very limited and more intended to backup data. The USB port is the Triton (and others) is just a basic, single port integrated midi-to-USB interface to quickly connect a keyboard if you don't have a normal interface available.

Dirk

lancaster6

Postby lancaster6 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

you were right about not using usb, which would have simplified my wiring. forte cant seem to differentiate the usb ports upon restart. i lose all my saved patching in forte. now using presonus midi in, and a midiman in for the studiologic and forte finds them every time. now my configs are working. thx
L

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm

You're welcome. Cool that it works now for you!

Dirk

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”