Roland VG-99

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

gtrjimmy

Roland VG-99

Postby gtrjimmy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 am

This is for guitar synth players who need help with Foete. It is a program with keyboard players in mind but it is very useful for users of guitar synth also.

gtrjimmy

Re: Roland VG-99

Postby gtrjimmy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 am

my question how can I get to controle the panic, play and tempo?

guitarnstuff

Postby guitarnstuff » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Jimmy:

I am assuming that you are using the FC300 to control. Go into VG99 editor and assign control numbers to each pedal. Then wnen you step on a pedal (say FC Control 1) it will cause the VG to send a Control message to FORTE. In Forte click on the metronome icon and tell it which control number you are using and that will then control BPM. If you look in the transport controls you can set it to respond to a CC message there as well for panic and other things. I read www.tweakheadz.com/midi_controllers.htm to help me pick #s that would not mess other stuff up.
------
I ended up with Brainspawn Forte plus EHCo. Forte is working really well and I am loving it. However, I am not having good luck with EHCo. EHCo is a Brainspawn add on that allows Forte to send program change messages back to the VG99. That way I can use the setlist,song, and scene features in FORTE to drive the sound changes on both products to avoid the tap dance on the FC300 to call everything up.

HOWEVER, the VG99 stops responding to the program changes intermittently (any where from a couple of minutes to an hour). Both VG99 and Forte synths continue to work fine but just that VG99 patches are not changed by EHCo. The only way that I can restore the cooperation between the units is to reboot both. I'm wondering if any of you out there had this issue and found a way around it? I did use MIDIOX to monitor the midi stream to see if there was something unusual triggering the error, but nothing seems different when working vs not or at the point of not working. But then again, I am new to midi and might be overlooking something obvoius. Don't know if this is midi/EHCo related or driver related since I have to shut down computer and reboot.

I will continue to use FORTE...it is rock solid, user friendly, and very capable for live use. However, I really need to get EHCo working to be the total dream machine. I have emails into tech support and they are trying to be helpful, but I am not sure if they know much about the VG99 vs standard keyboard stuff.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:11 am

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

guitarnstuff

Postby guitarnstuff » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:52 pm

I think that I have EHCo in Forte working right now. In fact it ran well for at least 5 hours yesterday and didn't loose connection with the VG99. "Stress tested" the crap out of it. I believe it may have been either a driver setting (light load unchecked) or that the computer was set (in the device manager) to allow the computer to shut down the USB port to save power. I also tried a bunch of other somewhat random and partially educated guesses at the problem like eliminating a VSTi that was acting a little buggy. So knock on wood...it's working fine and I might have prematurely blamed EHCo.

The possibilities are endless. I have each string playing different instruments or combinations of instruments seperately on each string plus I can filter to the midi messages so that the instruments are different at different parts of the neck on a given string. Blows my mind! This will keep me busy for quite a while! Especially combined with all the options in the VG99. So many choices so little time!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:34 am

That's cool. Yes, I overlooked the 'USB being shut down by Windows' problem, I'll add that to the troubleshooting list. Powermanagement is frequently a source of trouble in our environment, and is frequently looked over as a possible cause for a given problem.

I'm a guitarist too, I use the Roland GR33, it's a lot of fun, I never tried the VG99 but I assume it's a great device, Roland has always come up with great products! And you're perfectly on spot with your "so little time" statement...... one of my biggest frustrations is that I don't have enough time to really explore all the possibilities I have with my actual gear. My fav' music store only sees me when I need a new mic stand or a light clamp..... (given that I buy my strings online!)
A little suggestion to really really get into the ecstatic realm with a guitar, a guitar synth and forte: try Möbius, a free looper with scripting possibilities. You won't believe it. It's a bit of a learning curve, you absolutely need to subscribe to the mailinglist otherwise you'll never even get close to what the thing is capable of, especially all the super-extensive midi-binding stuff and the scripting engine. But it's worth the effort and it's totally free, with great support from Jeff Larsson, who writes the project.

Greets,
Dirk

PS Obviously, Möbius is just as great for keyboard players.....

guitarnstuff

Postby guitarnstuff » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Dirk:

Thanks for yet another product to get lost in :) (Mobius). I will check it out soon. I made an attempt at making a INS file for my VG99 but it is not showing in the "select by preset name" list in EHco/forte. I have attached for advice from anyone who knows their way around a INS file. Thanks,

You will have to try out the VG99 some time. The following link is a great support group to get full potential. If you ever have a chance to try one in a store they are often not set up correctly (GK sensitivities, scale settings, etc.) so hopefully you can either read the forum ahead on how to do this or find someone in your area that has it working well.

http://www.vguitarforums.com

Chris

guitarnstuff

Postby guitarnstuff » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am

Yes, you need to tweak a couple of things

-forte only accepts 4 stereo inputs (up to 8 "pins") and mobius by default exposes 16 pins
Tweak: open mobius.xml in the mobius install directory and change this in the MobiusConfig section at the top: pluginPins='2'

-After a rescan the plugin will be available, but will crash when you open the GUI.
Fix: in mobius.xml set: dualPluginWindow='false'.

You can set both from the mobius GUI by starting the standalone version, buts there are so much params that I find it easier to tweak the xml by hand.

Dirk

guitarnstuff

Postby guitarnstuff » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 am

Dirk:
Thanks. I also finally got to the right documentation at circularlabs and found that section. I reduced it to 1 but after reading your response I changed it to 2 pluginpins. Works great. Now to figure out the best way to do controll.. I can reconfigure how my Roland FC300 works with the VG99 OR I might just have to get a McMillian Softstep.
Thanks for the help!
Chris

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 am

Good luck! It's a hell of a job to configure it, not that it's difficult, but there are soo many possibilities! And don't even look at the scripting engine before you get the basics set up...... it's just over the top really. Lot's of fun!

A suggestion: use a pedalboard that has reactive switches, I mean, my Yamaha MFC10 is a wonderful piece of gear, but the footswitches are a bit heavy to push down, and for live-looping I needed to add an external ,more sensitive ans smooth footswitch; I use it for the "record/stop" functions. Also, if you're in the market for a pedalboard, pay attention to the height of the switches and their accessibility: when you're playing and getting ready to loop, you will have to stay confortable on your two feet, not having to raise on feet in the air ready to hit the switch! You need to be able to have your heel touch the ground with your toes hovering above the switch. Might seem stupid, but if you miss a millisecond or two your loop will be off. When I use Mobius, I need to lift my MFC10 out of it's flightcase, normally I don't have to. And expect frustration if you use anything above 128 samples latency. 64 is recommended.

Dirk

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”