Many problems with Forte

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

glenny_g

Many problems with Forte

Postby glenny_g » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 am

Hi. I really like this program but have never been able to get it to run with any stability. I use it on my gigs but to be honest it has taken years off my life because I can't be sure it won't crash.

Details - latest update of Forte on an Acer laptop 2.4 GHz intel dual core running XP Pro Sp2, DirectX 2, 2 Gig RAM. The only plugins I use (because others didn't work) are Hypersonic 2, Halion 3, Mr Ray 22, Mr Ray 73 and True Pianos.

Here are some things that are happening:

1) Sometimes it sees my Novation Nio 2|4 box, sometimes not. At the moment not. I have uninstalled the Nio and reinstalled. Cubase and Ableton see it, Forte doesn't. So I have to use ASIO4ALL.

2) Cubase gives me less than 7ms latency on my Nio. Even when Forte saw it, it gave me 14ms. Not just reported, I could really tell the differnece to the point that it was not practical for live playing. And YES, I set the preferred buffer flag in .INI file. ASIO4ALL gives reported 27.4ms but obviously less in reality. Feels like less than 10ms. I could live with it IF Forte didn't crash so easily.

3) If I don't power off Forte at every scene change it will crash at some point in the set. Sometimes it crashes anyway. Whereupon I crap my pants. Sometimes it doesn't crash but Nio audio stops. Stays stopped. Reboot of Forte or other drastic measure required to get it going again. Not good on a gig!

4) Never got Edirol UA1-EX to work reliably either, with it's driver or ASIO4ALL. Esentially the same issues.

5) Can't use Albino 3 because it keeps asking for an arpeggiator (.MOD) file. This only happens in Forte.

6) Often have to power Forte off-on to get sound back after entering a synth panel for editing.

7) Change hardware profile has never worked for me. No matter what I do (choosing yes or not in dialog boxes) it loads back up with exactly same hardware as before.

8) Zipper noise when using an assigned controller on Basic Strip.

Don't get me wrong, I like the program. Paid for it. I see from the testimonials that it is used by pros like me. So there must be a solution to the crashing, right? Any help appreciated.
With thanks
Glenn

umd

Re: Many problems with Forte

Postby umd » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am

Have you checked if you soundcard is sharing an IRQ with anything else?
Free midi plugins .

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Hmmm...it's a usb audio in/out box. There isn't a Resources tab in Device Manager for it so how can I tell IRQ?

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

Also, it usually hangs, rather than crashes. In Scene View that often means both the scene I was on AND the scene I selected are highlighted, everything is frozen up, and I have to use Task Manager to end the application.
Thus I don't get a send error report option.

umd

Postby umd » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Last edited by umd on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free midi plugins .

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 pm

No irq conflicts.

umd

Postby umd » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Hum, the next thing I would try would be turning off the ACPI compliant battery driver in the device manager.
Free midi plugins .

wolferl

Postby wolferl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 am

Hi glenny_g,

I wonder that you can use Mr. Ray plugins. I had some problems (crashes, dropouts) with them and banned it for live playing. So maybe Mr. Ray is the guilty. 8) Try a test setup without Mr. Ray.

It is very easy to find it out if you have crashes on scene changes.

Regards, Wolferl

PS: Instead of Mr. Ray the free IK Multimedia 73 Rhodes works fine. If you want a really good Rhodes I strongly recommend Scarbee with Kontakt or Kontakt Player. Very stable.

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 am

andym0908

Postby andym0908 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 am

I'm having the same issue with Albino3 - asking for a .MOD file upon loading the rack. I'm using no other plugins, and I've a clean XP install on a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop...

Any ideas?

embassy

Postby embassy » Fri May 28, 2010 1:23 am

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”