My Echo Indigo died - Anybody using Asio4All?

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

Angel

My Echo Indigo died - Anybody using Asio4All?

Postby Angel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi,

tonight my beloved Echo Indigo IO died during rehearsal, after four years of trouble-free work and many many live gigs. While pulling out the audio jack there seemed to be some shortening, and now anytime I insert the Indigo into the PCMCIA slot my laptop freezes. Even the blue LED is dark now, probably forever.

As I'm a bit short of money lately, and my band does not have to much gigs theese days, I hesitate to invest in the successor indigo DJx which would have been my first choice. So anybody using Asio4All with in-built laptop sound cards for live gigging? I just saved the band rehearsal by quickly downloading and installing Asio4All and it seemed to work quite well after some tweaking of the settings.

Any comments are welcome.

Bye,
Angel

fab

Re: My Echo Indigo died - Anybody using Asio4All?

Postby fab » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 pm

i have done that in rehearsals in emergency cases, but each time i needed to tweak the settings for some time to make it work. and i did not like the extra latency and reduced stability.

on ebay, the io sells used for around 70 EUR now, the classic one even less. new indigo pcmcia cards can be had at 120 EUR now, like this

http://cgi.ebay.de/ECHO-Indigo-IO-Audio ... 7C294%3A50

Angel

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks Fab.

I also found the Asio4All with my onboard sound chip comes with extra latency. And tweaking was required, often not leading to a stable sound with the same settings again. So only usable as an emergency fix.

Fortunately, I managed to recover the indigo!! Seemed to be some contact problems with the PCMCIA connector. I completely disassembled the card, removing all plastic and metal housings with brute force. After rebuilding, especially the metal parts didn't fit quite well to each other again, because of deformation while disassembling. But now the card sits much tighter and more rigid in the PCMCIA slot and works again! I hope this will be a stable solution ...

Bye,
Angel

fab

Postby fab » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 am

interesting - mine gives me a BSOD when inserted too much. but only on my t60, on t30 it works flawless. i am too much of a chicken, though, to try your brute force approach. :oops: might try some gaffa instead.

dburns

Postby dburns » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 am

We must have reached the "planned obsolescence" point for the Echo. :)

Mine died too, recently (the Indigo I/O cardbus model). I RMA'd it, and they confirmed it was dead. I bought another online for about $100, but they are becoming scarce. I was going to wait until I get a new laptop and buy the Express version, but I like to have it handy for working in the car and as a backup to my MOTU.

I've used ASIO4ALL, but it can't perform nearly as well as the Echo. The latency was too high for realtime playing, for me. But in a pinch, it will do.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”