Multiple output pairs used for same synth

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

electricfuzz

Multiple output pairs used for same synth

Postby electricfuzz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Does anyone know a way to route the outputs of one or more modules to more than one stereo pair output on my Edirol FA-66. My previous 2 sound cards came with routing software that ran seperate from forte but the Edirol FA-66 doesn't seem to have such software. Is there a way to route it in Forte or is there some 3rd party plugin or software that would allow me to do this? What i need to do is have all my vst synths and one audio input routed to stereo pairs 1/2 out AND 3/4 out at the same time and then have two other audio inputs routed to just to just output pair 1/2.
The Edirol is a new piece to me, it has a switch called "Soft Controll" which is supposed to let the software determine what is monitored in the headphones as opposed to directly monitoring the inputs right at the card. But I haven't found a way for Forte to controll this. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
-Cory

Amyris

Re: Multiple output pairs used for same synth

Postby Amyris » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:58 pm

For what reason do you need the signals to come out on two separate output ports at the same time?

electricfuzz

Postby electricfuzz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm

So glad you asked, I love talking about my ideas and hearing new ones but did not want to go on and on over a simple question. I plan on using output pair 3/4 to feed FOH with my keyboards only, and output 1/2 to feed my monitor mix (a floor wedge for now, in ears in the near future). Input one on my sound card will have a signal split from my vocal mic and needs to be assigned to just outputs 1/2 the volume of which will be controlled by a slider on my Axiom keyboard. Input two of my sound card will contain a monitor mix from the sound board of everyone BUT me and my keyboards and will also be controlled by a slider on the axiom. Volume of my keys will be adjusted as usual where i pull up for leads and back for rhythm with the keyboards' volumes or can be adjusted by the headphone/output 1/2 volume on the front of my card if i dont want to affect the FOH. The later will mean readjusting the volumes of my vocal mix and the "everyone else" mix but i think its a fair trade to not have to include a line mixer in my setup. It's also nice to have my monitor mix controls right on the keyboard in front of me for the most part (I dont forsee having to adjust the headphone/1/2 volume knob much after intially setting it).
So, any ideas? Is there anyway to "subgroup" busses in Forte? How about audio routing software that runs in the background? My last card was an Emu that had complex monitor routing software that was always running when the soundcard was used as does the Alesis I/O26 that I borrowed from a friend to test run my laptop. Although I did not try this setup with either of these other cards, I believe the flexible routing would have made it a snap. Hope this gave you an idea of what I am trying to do, perhaps I am going about it all backwards. Thanks for replying, I look foward to your response.
-Cory

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:31 am

Yes. I released a set of plugins to create aux-busses in forte; you download them for free here : www.solidsoundstudio.net

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

electricfuzz

Postby electricfuzz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:39 am

Dirk,
You are one of my hero's in the world of midi! I woke up several times last night thinking that it should not be that difficult to send to all four outputs at once. Reading your reply this morning made my day! Thanks a ton!
-Cory

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 am

You're welcome.
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”