EHCo + Forte 2.0: notes hang-up problem

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

adrdest

EHCo + Forte 2.0: notes hang-up problem

Postby adrdest » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:41 am

Dear All,

I am experiencing a BIG PROBLEM with Forte 2.0 -build 100.2051- used in conjunction with EHCo, without any VST or VSTi.
Frequent notes hang-up even though the Forte CPU monitor reports a load of less then 8%.
Obviously the only way to stop them is to press the panic button on the forte rack.
With this problem it is absolutely not possible to use the system.

Following is a description of the setup.

An USB M-Audio Midisport 2x2 MIDI interface is used to interconnect the following equipment to a recent ASUS notebook PC:
- Yamaha CP33 used as a masterkeyboard to play a Yamaha Motif Rack ES
- KORG SP200 used as a masterkeyboard to play a Yamaha Motif Rack
- KORG Triton

They are linked together in this way:
- Yamaha CP33 MIDI output (set to transmit MIDI data on ch.3) ---> Midisport A input
- KORG SP200 MIDI output (set to transmit MIDI data on ch.1) ---> Midisport B input
- Midisport A output ---> Yamaha Motif Rack ES MIDI input (set to receive MIDI data on ch. 3)
- Midisport B output ---> Yamaha Motif Rack MIDI input (set to receive MIDI data on ch. 1)
- Yamaha Motif Rack ES MIDI through ---> KORG Triton MIDI input (set to receive MIDI data on ch. 2)

The main purpose of the above setup is to easily and quickly send the proper bank/program change to each sound module and keyboard between different songs and also during a song, in live situations, by using the Forte scenes.

In Forte I opened 3 EHCo modules, assigning them, respectively, to:
- Yamaha Motif Rack ES
- Yamaha Motif Rack
- KORG Triton

Each EHCo module has been set to receive MIDI data from the proper port and programmed to send to the proper MIDI channel the needed bank select and program change to the corresponding MIDI unit.
This works fine with the exception that, sometimes, at the first Forte launch and after loading a saved rack, the first scene program changes are not sent.
To overcame this issue I added a blank scene in the first position so that, advancing to the next scene all the predefined program changes are properly sent.

I made some trials and I noticed that the notes hangup can be avoided by inserting an external MIDI Merge box between a masterkeyboard and the associated MIDI sound module, merging the MIDI notes on-off from the MK with the MIDI program/bank change data from Forte.

It seems that the Forte MIDI Merge function doesn't work properly: some MIDI notes-off sent by the masterkeyboards are lost inside Forte.

Has anyone experienced the same BIG PROBLEM of the notes hang-up ?
May I have set the EHCo plugin in a wrong way ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Adriano

MikeG

Re: EHCo + Forte 2.0: notes hang-up problem

Postby MikeG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 am

Hi Adriano,

EHCo has a full loopback test that enables you to build confidence in the entire MIDI stack. Please refer to the ECHo Operations Manual and try this test (you'll have to link MIDI out to MIDI ins as per instructions).

This works by having EHCo generate its own MIDI data, and keep count of how many events return to it. If the numbers match everthing's OK.

If you are losing data, try going to options and disabling "Use all available CPU". It shouldn't matter, but some MIDI drivers are funky.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Adriano,

same problem with me. Please try as Mike suggested. If this does not help you, please turn off "Use all available CPU", restart Forte, turn on "Use all available CPU" again and restart Forte again. Then everything should be fine! I have the same problem as you and this "workaround" fixes the problem in my case.

adrdest

Postby adrdest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Thank you Mike and Amyris.

I will try to implement your suggestions and I will give you a feedback.

Best regards,

Adriano

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:13 am

Hmmm, it might be a stupid suggestion, but you could also try to set AsioSwitchThreads (or something like this) to "0" in options.ini: I had it set to "1" and this led to some weird random stuff.

Maybe there's no relationship at all, but I found this setting to be troublesome overall when switched on.
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”