Overall Audio Quality

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

scope4live

Overall Audio Quality

Postby scope4live » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Just set up Forte for the first time. I bought it over a year ago as it seemed like a very good live performer.

I have been using Bidule, GS4 and just thought using Forte might be better so I took a chance.

I was wondering why the sound has a phasing issue ? It sounds a bit different from my other real time apps.

Surely there must be something I am not doing correctly, as the sound I have right now is unacceptable.

What little checkbox suggestions should I try out. I am using 3 x Scope Professional DSP cards @ 4msec latency, and these cards along w/ Gigastudio have been my live DAW since 1999, w/ zero problems.

GS4 and Bidule do not support the PAE 3GB Switch, and since I have too much money invested w/ VSL, SISS and other still quite capable libraries, not to mention the K2 / GVI stuff, I thought before I even bothered w/ 64bit, I would install the switch as an option during boot-up, and try Forte.

I Appreciate Any Tips,

JimmyV.

MikeG

Re: Overall Audio Quality

Postby MikeG » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:43 am

I've never heard anyone claim to hear phasing problems.

Forte doesn't really do any processing itself other than gain control (floating point multiplies) and floating to integer conversion if necessary. Are you using multiple buses?

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

fab

Postby fab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

hi
are you routing audio thorugh forte? have you checked if you have direct monitoring enabled in your audio interface mixer?
usually when i have phase problems like this, it is because i have messed up the routing somehow.
fab

scope4live

Postby scope4live » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:02 pm

It has the tunnel syndrome sound.

It was my first attempt at trying something new. It's the tunnel syndrome sound, almost as if I had 2 hard panned mono sends ( stereo L & R ) and converted them to an mp3.

I use GS4 and Scope DSP cards, for live work just the Scope DSP cards GVI / K2 via Bidule. The Scope cards in case you're not familiair are real time DSP performers. So I know my apps and the sound that eminates from them.

I'll thrash around some more and see what is causing this. My problem is that our key tech has taken vacation during the down time, and that's when I like to experiment. Can't do that when we're gigging. Even "updates" that people make erroneous claims of efficiency. etc. I won't touch.

If it works just play. But I have a couple weeks off and would like to give this app. a fair shot.

I'll re install and try again.

Glad You Guys Are O.K.

JV/

Angel

Postby Angel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 pm

You must have some parallel audio paths with slightly different delay. Thats more a problem of your audio routing, I guess. I confirm that Forte itself has no phasing issues.

Does it happen when playing soft synths? Then check if a plug-in receives the same MIDI note twice. For example, by some odd MIDI processing in front of Forte or masterkeyboard settings. Some plug-ins will play then the same note twice but slightly shifted in time, causing audible phasing effects. You could use Midi-OX to check double MIDI messages.

Bye,
Angel

scope4live

Postby scope4live » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Sorry,
Been busy gigging. I will try and find the troubles on Sunday. I do a daytime solo gig, and our group does 6 nighters everyweek, so tomorrow is my only day off. I tried to play my Gigastudio libraries using GVI, and my Scarbee Rhodes was the sound I was demo'ing.

I really want to get this to work as I have quite a large load that I use everynight, and since I never load while playing, I really need to go with Forte, for the sake of the 3GB PAE Switch at this point. I recently added a superb sounding Grand Piano, so the switch will give me the extra headroom I need. Plus Forte works great w/ VSTi's, so using Scope DSP synths and analog synths draw zero power from the CPU, which allows these obese sample loads.

Thanks...We'll Chat Again Tomorrow If You Have Time. ( 7:00am PST I start. :mrgreen: )

JimmyV.

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”