long scene change times - audio stops briefly

Post here if you are having problems with audio or MIDI hardware within forte

Moderator: MikeG

piert

long scene change times - audio stops briefly

Postby piert » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm

I am having pauses of up to 1 seconds between scene changes with audio being stopped during that time. I read somewhere, that scene changes really could/should be 'seamless.
I am using a new duo core laptop 2.0 Gz, 2 Gig RAM and 120 Gig 7200 RPM hard disk, a MOTO 828 MKII interface, an ADAT 8000 Behringer converter for mike inputs and a Behringer BCF2000 for mixing of the band. Forte (latest version) runs the following inputs:

3 mike inputs for vocals - ADAT 8000 Behringer
several mike inputs for drums - ADAT 8000 Behringer
Guitar Rig 2 - analogue input of MOTU 828 mkII
Guitar and bass analogue inputs to the MOTU 828 MKII
B4II - VST
The Grand Steinberg- VST
Kontakt 2 NI - VST sampler
FM7 NI - VST
Fender Rhodes Appl. Ac. - VST
Groove Agent Steinberg - VST Sample based
Sound recorder (=Tobybear recording VST) - ??

I have used Dirks Aux inserts to create 4 separate mixes, as well as to control a Luxonix free reverb insert on the main output bus.

Everything works well with CPU maxing to slightly over 40% during playing.

However, as explained above, I hear audio stops for a short while during scene changes.
I have told the Grand and Kontakt, as well as the other VST's that I use in the three test scenes to 'not load configuration data on scene change', so they don't load samples between scenes.
BTW, all but the B4, The Grand and FM7 and audio inputs are muted in my test scenes (muted instruments can not be the cause of the audio stopping between scenes, am I right?).

I feel I have done all I know to obtain the famous 'seamless' scene change, but it will not help. The audio stops sound really crappy in a live band performance.
Could I receive any advice on where to look/start in trying to avoid the audio stops?

Ps: I have two optical cables between the Motu and the Behringer ADAT 8000, so the sync is perfectly locked.

Thanks a lot in advance
Perry

yamus

Postby yamus » Mon May 14, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi Piert,

I have the same problem. Regardless of the settings in forte, when I change scenes, I get dropout and am unable to hold notes across the scene. I know that brainspawn is working on improvements in this area for thier next release, probably a ways off still...

Mike
Last edited by yamus on Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 15, 2007 1:37 am

I'd suggest to remove items one by one until (if so) the symptom dissappears in an attempt to locate the cause. (Starting with Groove Agent and GuitarRig, GA Loads samples as well, although I find it does so rather seemlessly, and GuitarRig has extensive GUI changes between presets including window resizing, and even if the GUI is not active, there IS quite some processing going on when changing presets)

Things to check: is there a CPU hog at scene change (start/run/perfmon.msc /s)

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

xuanvu

Postby xuanvu » Tue May 15, 2007 12:11 pm

You lucky to have 1 second delay between scenes :) Mines is at least 10 seconds, most of the time it's like 15 sec :) But I guess it have to do with lots of instances in my setup, especially with 2 instances of Nexus.

Kenny.

piert

Postby piert » Tue May 15, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks for your replies, I will investigate in accordance with Dirks' suggestion
(after we play our first gig with the new all-Forte-set-up tomorrow; fingers crossed).

In the meantime, I have found a compromise: I am now selecting GR2 patches by means of program changes sent from my old Boss GT-5. These changes are sort of seam-less.
I will only switch to other scenes when there is a need to change from piano to B4. This requires a change of physical instruments and players anyway, so the delay and audio stop won't be much of a problem there.

I'll keep you posted.
Perry

peterpan73

Re: long scene change times - audio stops briefly

Postby peterpan73 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

Is there any other multi VST host in the market without the audio drops on scene changes? As it is my live playing was compromised when I have had to remove Kontakt from the Bspawn rack owing to long sample loading times often ending in an hourglass issue. The audio break on scene change was the last straw. Does Kore or Mainstage have these problems, as this "audio break during scene change" is an extremely important factor for me before I buy my next Vst host. I would appreciate any help/advice anyone could offer.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am

Hi

This is a 4 year old thread. There have been many improvements since. There are many threads in these forums about how to set up your rack to have seamless scenechanges with sampler VST's (loading all samples at once, choosing the appropriated option for scenechanges, then use PC's, routing, etc to access your sounds....). Maybe someone more aquainted with the subject would like to jump in to get you started, but I think you can find a lot of clues and how-to's by yourself here.... the subject has been exhaustively treated!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

fab

Postby fab » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:57 am

for starters, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nLSJoB9ro

if you do it like that, do you still experience audio stopping during scene change?

peterpan73

Postby peterpan73 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:09 am

Fab thanks !! Will definitely try it out. :)

Return to “Audio/MIDI Hardware Issues”