Changing presets on VKFX fx plugin

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

maze

Changing presets on VKFX fx plugin

Postby maze » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:16 pm

I have Overloud VKFX in fx insert in Forte and although I can assign and send CC messages no problem, I can not get VKFX to respond to program change messages.
This is response from Overloud:

Unfortunately, there seems to be some kind of problem with Forte itself, I fear, because I have also tested the VKFX VST in other programs and program changes are received from the plug-in correctly.

Moreover, I have done some deeper debugging of VKFX inside Forte and it really seems that PC messages are not even delivered to the plug-in, whereas CC messages are.

Because the host does not even send PC messages to VKFX, there is nothing we can do on the plug-in side to force their reception. Perhaps it is worth to report the issue to Brainspawn, to see if they can figure out a reason why PC are not being send while CC are.

MikeG

Re: Changing presets on VKFX fx plugin

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Maze,

This is actually by design. MIDI routing just gets too complicated if you have to enable/disable PC filtering to every single insert plugin. Since PC is primarily used as a synth patch change, Forte forwards them to VSTi instruments but doesn't do this with inserts.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

maze

Postby maze » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Mike, ok understood. Is there any possible workaround? I was thinking maybe with VMI but i have not used that feature nor do I understand that well, i guess...just hoping.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm sorry I can't think of anything at this time. I recall going through that decision process and worrying about how incredibly complex it would get if the same PC message was changing programs on both the synth and the effect....hard to control
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

maze

Postby maze » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi Mike, I totally respect the work you do...and I don't have the slightest clue of the challenges you face as a programmer. I realize this is probably an unusual request...as you say, most people will be changing presets in the synth vst. In this case I am using Scarbee Vintage Keys and whatever effects/amp simulations etc you use is how you create the presets. And what is provided for FX with that collection in Kontact Player do not quite cut it for me, so I use the VKFX plugin. So it would be great to be able to send PCs to the FX insert.

It seems to me that (without really knowing, of course) the PC messages could be sent to the FX insert and the default setting is to "ignore PC messages." As an option you could enable the PCs if needed.. and then of course turn PC off for plug in if necessary (although there could definitely be times when you'd want to change both the preset and the FX).

Again, I understand that maybe this is not enough of a concern for most users for it to make the wish list and to deal with the complications and unintended consequences. But I am just trying to say that a few more steps on the users end is absolutely not a problem for me. And I guess I am saying that also in response to your reply to the thread about having the plugin consoles UI placement on screen saved with scene (which does have a lot of user support). You mentioned that the scenes would all have to be updated if you change your display resolution. among other possible issues. And I'm just saying I'd be happy to do deal with whatever extra steps would be created to have that functionality.

And also again, I know you have your hands full and there are more important priorities (stability)..and all sorts of unintended consequences. And no doubt, the next generation, not having the same gratitude for the feature being implemented will be ***** about "why do we have to this!" So I really do understand, as much as I would love to have these features. Thanks Mike!

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi maze,

I do appreciate your input and will take this request seriously. Can you move it to https://brainspawn.freshdesk.com/discus ... 9000158069 as a new feature request? That helps me keep things from getting lost.

Thanks,

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Plugin Issues”