OP-X-Pro II - New 64 bit version - Patches not being saved

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

John Dumke

OP-X-Pro II - New 64 bit version - Patches not being saved

Postby John Dumke » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:43 pm

This had been an issue with the 32 bit version wrapped in JBridge. The work around was to update the "DeviceCompatibility" file to

<Device Name="OP-X">
<saveFXB bool="1"/>
<saveFXP bool="1"/>
<saveProgramNumber bool="1"/>
<saveParams bool="0"/>
</Device>

This solved the issue in the 32 bit version and I had to overwrite the file every time Forte was updated. I just installed the NEW 64 BIT version of OP-X Pro II, and updated the "DeviceCompatibility" file to the above settings, but Forte still does not save the patch settings for OP-X Pro II 64 bit, even though. I select "Update Scene" and then "Save Rack" each time.

What changes need to be made to Forte so that Patches are saved for OP-X Pro II 64 bit?

Background:
Forte 4.1.7 64 Bit
OP-X Pro II 64 Bit
Windows 10

John Dumke

Re: OP-X-Pro II - New 64 bit version - Patches not being saved

Postby John Dumke » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:21 pm

I am going to try and add the following text to the "DeviceCompatibility" File.

The CLSID references OP-X Pro II 64 Bit, found in the Plugins64.xml file (C:\Users\Namexxxx\Appdata\Roaming\Brainspawn

<!-- "OP-X ProII 64-bit"-->
<Device CLSID="{E0DB41DB-9E2D-4FF1-A6D4-6930EC21AB26}">
<saveFXB bool="1"/>
<saveFXP bool="1"/>
<saveProgramNumber bool="1"/>
<saveParams bool="0"/>
</Device>

John Dumke

Postby John Dumke » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:38 pm

I have tried several other options. I eliminated all references to OPX both 32 bit and 64 bit in the "DeviceCompatibility" file. This doesn't seem to work either.

The behavior is very weird. While sometimes updating the Scene and Saving Rack works, sound wise. The patch always shows as the #1 patch in what appears to be the default Bank.

Example; If I save the "Camera Eye" patch (#4 ) from the "Famous" bank, Once I close Forte and reload forte, the scene "May" work (Not always), but the Patch shows "Camera Eye" #1, and when I use the pull down menu it is clear that the "Famous" bank has not been saved.

John Dumke

Postby John Dumke » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Tech support request from Sonic Projects

Dear Support,

I recently upgraded to the 64 bit OP-X Pro-II from the 32 bit version wrapped in JBridge and noticed a few inconsistencies.

First issue, there seems to be some instability in the Octave settings. When I program a “Scene” just like the 32 bit version (relating to the same Octave) everything sounds the same. But upon “Update Scene” and “Save Rack”, and then closing Forte and then reloading the same scene, often times the scene plays an “Octave Lower” than what was originally programmed. I am running multiple instances of OP-X Pro-II

Second issue. When I select a Bank and then Particular Patch, and “Update Scene” and “Save Rack”, then close out Forte and restart Forte, the Bank and Patch is only Partially remembered…… Let me explain.

If I select “Camera Eye”, patch number #4 on the “Famous” Bank, and select “Update Scene” and “Save Rack”. And then go between scenes all is good. But when I close out Forte and Restart Forte. The “Camera Eye” patch is present, but it shows as “Patch #1” in what appear to be the Default Bank, Where “Camera Eye” replaces whatever is the #1 Patch in the Default Bank. This happens every time with any patch that is selected, where upon restart the selected patch is now #1 of the Default Bank. Not sure if this is a problem or not, just seems weird.

Sonic Projects Reply
Hi John
Thanks for your report.

The octave issue may be something with the actave radio buttons not saving/recalling correctly. We're going to examinate it (we have Forte in Win 8.1). It may help when you tweak the octave switch once up and down again with the mouse before you save the session.

Regarding the second: This in fact is no issue, it's conceived to work like this. Unlike the "old" 32bit version the new x64 (and Mac) version uses a new "own" patch and bank format which is independent from the host. The base engine (which is VST3, also in the VST2 version) by itself doesn't support banks at all, so the former banks only could be kept by implementing them in a custom format which only can be managed by the patch manager of OP-X PRO-II. The plugin itself only connects to the host through the active preset slot. So upon recalling a session you will have the saved patch in the top slot replacing the first preset of the default bank. You can't save and recall whole banks with the host anymore. This formerly only was possible since banks were fxb-chunks. In the former 32bit version the plugin was using the same format as the host, and the patch browser actually only was "talking" to the host for patch manipulation. Now it manages it all by itself internally, while only connecting to the host through the active slot for total recall.

This in fact is the way all plugins using an own patch format handle it. The 32bit OP-X PRO-II in fact was sort of a in-between solution, so offering own controls to load/save/change banks and presets, but actually using the host's format.

I hope I was able to explain it somewhat understandable :-)

Best regards
Peter
SonicProjects

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

I would expect that most NEW plugins work by saving only the FXB info. I'll download this plugin and see what's up.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

John Dumke

Postby John Dumke » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Update on Forte and OP-X Pro-II functionality.

The Bank / Patch issue is resolved, as this is how it is supposed to work.

Regarding the Octave issue:

SonicProjects Support,

I did remove all 32bit instances of OPX and have 3 instances of 64 bit OP-X Pro-II running.

The issue with OP-X playing an octave too low is now only marginal issue and only occurs in one instance.

When Forte boots into the rack in question. OPX will play an octave too low in the Scene that is booted into. If I switch from this Forte “Scene” and go back to the original Forte “Scene” that was the initial scene that Forte booted into, then OPX plays in the correct octave. If I resave the Rack in Forte with a difference Scene as the default (or last played), so that Forte boots into this new scene, then OPX again plays one octave too low. And again this is immediately rectified when switching out of this initial Scene and then going back to it.

Thanks for a great update to a great product. I have posted this on Brainspawn’s forum as well.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:30 pm

Did you have to modify DeviceCompatibility.xml?
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

John Dumke

Postby John Dumke » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:42 am

Did I have to Modify DeviceCompatibility.xml?

No I have no reference to OPX in DeviceCompatability.xml file at all, either to the 32 bit name type or the CSLID style that I did with the 64 bit. Based upon SonicProjects response it sounded like Bank/Patch settings were maintained on their end, so i figured best to leave it along and it works just fine. It just looks odd because the bank is not really saved, but the Correct Patch is placed in spot #1 on the default bank, but it works. And this is how they said it should work.

I suspect the Octave issue would be completely resolved if I were to build the rack from scratch but is a large rack with 20+ scenes, multiple patches done over two boards for a Rush Tribute band and I didn't really want to rebuild from scratch.

Return to “Plugin Issues”