EnergyXT VSTi won't loop in Forte

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

jdeacon27

EnergyXT VSTi won't loop in Forte

Postby jdeacon27 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:10 am

[Originally posted in wrong forum]

I want to do some simple MIDI loops. EnergyXT seems to be one of the favourites. I'm trying it but I can't get it to loop. I'm on Forte 3.

I can create a sequence, route EnergyXT's MIDI output to another VSTi (SI bass). All fine. But whatever I do, it won't loop. In EnergyXT I select the bars to be looped, I click the little yellow loop button but it just plays the segment once and carries on through the rest of the bars.

I tried the Standalone version and it loops fine. I tried the VSTi version in Reaper and it works there.

Any ideas anyone, pease, what I'm doing wrong?

(I was going to use Guru, which I am familiar with; but its MIDI output doesn't seem much use as it issues a Note Off as soon as it's issued the Note On. I did get MidiMapper to filter out the Note Offs, but like many drum-machine-derived sequencers, Guru is also limited as to length and number of pads, i.e. notes.)
Open Labs Neko with Windows 7 64 bit
Forte 3 64 bit
Sonar X2

jdeacon27

Re: EnergyXT VSTi won't loop in Forte

Postby jdeacon27 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Well, I haven't been able to get EnergyXT working in Forte 3. I tried a few more candidates, where there were length limits, range limits; I even tried one where I never did find the start button (and it didn't respond to Forte's transport either).

The one that did work (should anyone else find themselves doing the same kind of search) was Chris Kerry's Polyphonic Step Sequencer. It's pretty powerful, has some MIDI automation, and is reasonably easy to figure out. For a fixed song it should be pretty good. I couldn't find, however, a way of queueing up a sequence change, i.e. having the next sequence start on the bar (measure) even if I trigger it in the middle of the previous sequence's last bar. And for a live, flexible performance, I need that. So in the end I came to a realization:

I use Forte because I don't want the hassle of setting up my DAW (Sonar) when all I want is simply to sit down and play a VST piano or pop a bit of digital reverb on a mic. When you get to the point of trying to do a song with a percussion sequence and three bass guitar sequences you're not talking simple anymore. The real answer was Sonar. In my search for a sequencer someone mentioned Sonar's Matrix View, which up until then I had been unaware of. It turned out to fit the bill exactly; it's very, very powerful.
Open Labs Neko with Windows 7 64 bit
Forte 3 64 bit
Sonar X2

Return to “Plugin Issues”