Guitar Rig 5 loud noise

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

snowbird122

Guitar Rig 5 loud noise

Postby snowbird122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm

I have a rack with a Guitar Rig 5 instrument. When I unmute the Guitar Rig 5 instrument, I get an immediate loud high pitch noise. Five seconds after I toggle the mute back on, the noise stops. I can repeat this indefinitely. Any idea why I'm getting this noise?

dburns

Re: Guitar Rig 5 loud noise

Postby dburns » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:28 am

Same problem here. I replaced GR4 with GR5 in my standard gig rack, and it randomly emits a loud digital-sounding blast. Turning the rack off and on stops it sometimes, but even if it stops it may happen again.

My solution, so far, has been to use Aplitube 3 instead.

Forte Producer 3.2.6 64-bit. Win 7-64.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

snowbird122

Postby snowbird122 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:56 am

Same thing is happening with me. The problem randomly went away, but it randomly comes back. A reboot usually solves the problem, but GR5 isn't usable in this condition.

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Interesting. I used to see this once in blue moon. Exiting and re-starting Forte always cleared the problem.

I recently changed my audio/midi interface to a Steinberg UR44 and everything was fine for a few days. But now this issue is back and seems harder to make go away with restarts and reboots.

I only see this on rack startup; once it starts clean, it never goes nuts after that. I have a lot of investment in GR5... if it really seems to be a bigger problem with the UR44 for some reason, I'd have to try another interface and cross my fingers.

M

P.S. I just made the problem stop by opening and closing the ASIO control panel of the UR44 without changing any settings.
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

Bgober

Postby Bgober » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

I know it's wrong to say this but I'm glad somebody else is having this issue. I have been dealing with this for a while now and even posted something about it months ago. I thought it could be my Audio interface (MOTU 828Mk3) or my laptop (Lenovo). I recently upgraded my laptop and the issue was still there. It got worse when I lowered the sample buffer rate on my MOTU. I was using Guitar Rig 5 for my Trillian bass. This weekend I'm swapping it out with Waves GTR 3.5 (which was on sale this weekend for $49, I already owned it). It has a nice sounding set of bass amps and I use it for guitar as well. So far so good. Commentary: It seems to me that Native Instruments products can be problematic with Forte. I still use them but not with a high level of confidence.

wolffste

Postby wolffste » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:06 pm

I have the same problem, has anyone an idea to solve this? I realy need Brainspawn with Guitar Rig Insert Effects for my setup in three weeks! I´m already shaking when I think about having this noise on stage...
I wrote the Native Instrument support-team, but they don´t seem to be very helpful with this :|

Please help me!

tekhedd

Postby tekhedd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:06 pm

I've noticed that Native Instruments aren't very interested in supporting their, um instruments, when used in live performance. Except when used with their own hardware, I mean.

I was considering whether to use GR5 in my live rack, but worried because I'm having ongoing issues with Kontakt. Guess I know the answer now.

vellamatic

Postby vellamatic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 am

I too had this problem just yesterday. And I noticed that a restart of my laptop didn't always fix it.

I have been using Guitar Rig 5 with Cubase and Ableton for quite a while ... I've even used it for live performances (hosted by Ableton) and it never gave me this problem. So something tells me the issue must lie with Forte. Can we get some feedback on this?

wolffste

Postby wolffste » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Here´s my solotion, that works fine for me the last month: I start my setup an save as a new named one. After that I don´t have this problem till next start, so I can use it on stage.

PnoMn

Postby PnoMn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:50 am

I have had the same problem with GR 5.
Loud noise bursts every once in a while. there wasn't a special setup or event that triggered that burst, it just happened.
the loud noise never occured when working with cubase.

my solution:
GR 5 is not in my rack anymore. i switched to amplitube custom shop.
i'm using a roland JC-120 emulation with my scarbee rhodes. no problems so far and the sound is much better than GR 5.
Lenovo T440p, i7, 16GB RAM, RME UCX, forte 4.2.4 64bit, NI Komplete 10, HalionSonic 2, Sylenth, OP-X ProII, VSL Special Edition

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread because I've fought with this issue on and off for the last year and a half. I used to use GR4, first in Forte 2.x. I did not see this problem for the first time until after upgrading to Forte 3.x. Since then, I have upgraded to both GR5 and Forte 4.x (latest version as of this post). The problem still persists in the latest build)

I also have not seen this issue with other VST hosts. I have seen it with two different audio interfaces (M-Audio Delta 1010 and a Behringer XR18 XAIR). I initially chalked it up to an older audio interface with older drivers, however the problem persists after that change. I suspect it has something to do with the audio input implementation in Forte and how it 'handshakes' between the OS, audio interface and plugin, but I don't have a specific set of data to back that up. It is as if something is being sent to either the audio input or GR itself that it doesn't understand which results in the unwanted artifact....

MikeG, do you have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue? Moving away from GR5 will be extremely time-consuming for me given the amount of investment of patching I've already done for GR4 and now GR5. I noticed one user switched to Amplitube, but frankly I don't like Amplitube as much as I like GR5 (both sound and interface). I own Amplitube 3 and augment some stereo guitar tones with it, but I never use it by itself.

thoughts?

Xpansion

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for bringing this back up. I have experienced this but not reliably enough to debug it. It happened to me the other day but I was unable to make progress. I'll add this to the list of issues to look at. Agreed that I want GR5 working.

Any hints you can give me on how to make it recur would be very helpful.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Mike,

I can't say it happens 'every' time under the following circumstances, however I have found that it is most likely to happen if I follow the steps to get started in the following manner:

1. Start up the computer
2. Start up the audio interface after the computer
3. Plug my guitar into the audio interface input
4. Start Forte
5. Load rack where the FIRST song/scene has GR5 unmuted

On the other hand, it is least likely to happen (though this is not foolproof) if I following THESE steps

1. Plug guitar into input on audio interface
2. Turn on audio interface
3. Turn on computer
4. Start Forte
5. Load a rack where the first song/scene has GR5 muted

If you would like a copy of my fairly complex rack file, I can certainly supply that to you as well.

Xpansion

wolffste

Postby wolffste » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13 am

Have you tried my suggestion?

1. Start your rack
2. Save as new file (I always use the same filename with suffix _nonoise
3. I can use my setup without problems till next start

I use this procedure for more than a year now and it works fine for me.

Cheers,
Stefan

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks. Of these I suspect the key may be the muted vs. unmuted 1st plugin. I'd be interested if you find that the workaround suggested also works? Just a clue.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 am

I will give the technique a try consistently over the next month and let you know the results. I'm out of town (and away from my rig) with no shows for the next 2 weeks, so feedback will be slow. FYI: I don't have any audio input integrated plugins as my 'first' instrument if that's what you are referring to MikeG.

You all tell me if you think this is the complete right approach to test the workaround.

1. Make sure the first song/scene to load up is NOT one with GR5 unmunted
2. As soon as the rack loads, save as another name (like with _nonoise appended as suggested)
3. Move to a song/scene with GR5 active/unmuted and see if it makes the noise

X

xpansion

Postby xpansion » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm

So far the workaround is working for me, however I would certainly prefer to NOT have to use the workaround since it creates extra rack files I have to maintain and clean.

X

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 pm

I agree - My frustration is that I can sometimes get it to happen the first time, and can't get it to happen again....and really never with debug builds! A tricky one.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm still having this problem also. For me, it happens on startup or following a rack save. If it doesn't happen on startup, it never happens so luckily I don't have to do the "save new rack" workaround trick. I just exit out and re-start.

I changed my startup scene to have GR5 muted and will report back if this seems to make a difference.

. M
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:16 pm

This has been an elusive one. I've seen it happen but haven't been able to get a handle on when or why.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Startup scene having GR5 muted didn't fix the problem for me. It still outputs audio hash on startup maybe 1 time in 10.

. M

Return to “Plugin Issues”