Kontakt 5 at startup "randomizes" settings

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

RackedBrain

Kontakt 5 at startup "randomizes" settings

Postby RackedBrain » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok,

I've seen this before and worked around it. I always planned to go back and try to figure out what was going on.

Start Forte, load first Rack/scene. Horrendous sounds come out for what should be a "Sparkling Mark II". I reload "Sparkling Mark II" from the factory and everything sounds fine. Update Scene, save rack. Next time, same thing. Digging through the 3000 or so knobs in Kontakt, I see that there are random settings as if gremlins were twisting knobs while I'm not looking. I check the "Reset all controllers" scene box and restart. Same thing. I can manually go through and reset all of the random twisted knobs. And they come back again next time I load the rack. So, this is a Kontakt problem, right? I can't recreate the problem with standalone Kontakt. When I load the Multi Instrument in stand alone, the "Sparkling Mark II" loads fine. When I re-load it in Forte, it works fine. It's only when I first load the rack. I have Kontakt on the list of plug-ins on the "Do not load scene data" list since it loads a ton of samples on startup.

Any ideas?

Richard
Win7, 64-bit, 16GB, beta 3.2.16 release (well, I'm using Kontakt 5)

RackedBrain

Re: Kontakt 5 at startup "randomizes" settings

Postby RackedBrain » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Update on workaround:

I created a "Dummy" scene called "Startup" and set all of the plugin volumes to 0 (otherwise touching any note causes a horrible full-volume cacophony of twisted little echos). I make sure to save the rack with Startup loaded (as scene/program PC 0). As soon as Forte starts up and loads Startup, I send a PC 1 on channel 1 so my first real scene "Piano w/Layers" comes up. Piano w/Layers including MK II Sparkly then come up with the right settings. Setup is never correct with lots of random settings deep within, so I ignore it.

I tried MIDI automation to set a bunch of controllers to their correct value, only that turned out to be too tedious. Besides, many of Kontakt's settings are PERCENT and MIDI automation is 0-127.

Richard

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:55 pm

This is very interesting as I have a similar problem right now.

On my performance rack that has been working great for years, I happened to notice that the tuning on the Vienna Pop Idol piano was slightly off. I believe it was set to -0.12 instead of 0. "Wonder how that happened," I said to myself, then "no matter, I'll just set it to zero and save the rack."

And a small nit has now turned into a large problem, because when I re-load the rack, the tuning is WAY off... like -9.00. The rack now seems broken... no matter what I set the tuning to, after saving it loads back in with a different value (large negative tuning) and the problem is way worse than the -0.12 I first noticed.

I tried deleting and re-adding the instrument but the problem is the same.

I tried to reproduce this in standalone Kontakt but was unable. Interestingly, the Vienna pop idol instrument does come up detuned to -0.12 when first added to kontakt, but if I tune it to zero, save the multi, exit and re-enter kontakt and load the multi, it is tuned to 0.

Like Richard, I tried to map a CC to tune the piano on the first scene that gets loaded, but I hit the percentage problem. Sending 63 tunes it to -0.28 and sending 64 tunes it to 0.28. Rats!

Any ideas what might be causing this and how I can go about fixing it? Thanks in advance.

Marc
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

vellamatic

Postby vellamatic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:38 am

Hi,

I am having this same exact problem with a number of Kontakt patches. On loading the rack Forte seems to change certain parameters of my patches (for example, in one case its attack and release). This leads me into a ridiculous situation where I have write down which patches are giving me this problem so that every time I load the rack I remember to reload these individual patches.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? I really can't see myself having to reload individual patches after loading a rack in a live situation.

yamus

Postby yamus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:03 pm

It might be helpful for all of you having this issue to list the version of forte you're using (forte3 or forte4), and whether you're running 32 bit or 64 bit. This might help in troubleshooting as it may be a version related issue?

yamus

Postby yamus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Also, have you guys tried trimming the rack to see if that helps? Sometimes that cleans things up a bit. In terms of the problem not occuring in the freestanding Kontakt, have you tried VST Kontakt in another host on the same machine to see if it occurs there?

Angel

Postby Angel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 am

Please also check if external controllers (from the MIDI Master Keyboard and such), mess up your plugin settings. Some Kontakt libraries have pre-programmed MIDI controller settings to modify certain parameters. In Forte, try to disable all controllers on all channels in the MIDI routing tab of the Kontakt module and see if it helps. Also try the "reset all controllers" in the Scene Commands tab.

When creating a new rack from scratch, I load all required plugins, then I disable all controllers on all channels on all modules (!). Then I add only a few like hold/sustain pedal for the piano module, or mod wheel for synth modules. This scene I save as a default scene, adding in every further scene only the controllers that are really needed.

Before that I had similar problems with Steinberg Hypersonic. Until I found out that the joystick controller of my masterkeyboard sends MIDI controllers 15 and 16, with one routed to pitch in Hypersonic by default. Great success and WTF? reactions from my band members during a live performance.

Best,
Angel

Mr Beverage

Postby Mr Beverage » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:09 pm

I seemed to have the same problem (described in my post from Jul 6th)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4974
I THINK that I MAY have solved this problem by adding the following lines to the Device Compatibility file:
<Device Name="Kontakt 5">
<saveFXB bool="1"/>
<saveFXP bool="0"/>
<saveProgramNumber bool="0"/>
<saveParams bool="0"/>
</Device>
As per these instructions:
http://feedback.brainspawn.com/knowledg ... n-problems
Be sure to read the information in the knowledgebase. You MUST re-save your scenes.
So far I have not had any more erroneous setting while loading the plugin.
Hope this helps,
Mr. B.

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:30 am

Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am

Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

Angel

Postby Angel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Sure:

In the Midi routing tab, right-click on "enabled"/"disabled" of a port to copy complete port mappings to other ports/all other scenes, or right-click on the "To" MIDI channel number, to copy settings of a channel to other channels.

Best,
Angel

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:39 am

:)

Much appreciated

vellamatic

Postby vellamatic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:15 am

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Confirmed - by default, K5 is saving FXB + program number + params. That's probably too much.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Here's my latest "factory version" of DeviceCompatibility - please feel free to email me your modified copies if you have found specific fixes you need included. (email to support@brainspawn.com and include subject line "DeviceCompatibility.xml updates")

http://www.brainspawn.com/documents/Dev ... bility.xml
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Return to “Plugin Issues”