NULL AEffect Pointer..

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

mschnell

NULL AEffect Pointer..

Postby mschnell » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:05 am

Hi Forte professionals,

I ordered a specially designed PC to make it a thingy similar to a Muse "Receptor" box. I decided to use Forte 3 as the central software for hosting several VST plugins.

This box (Intel i7 4 core processor, 16 GByte, 512 GByte SSD ) will run Windows 7 64 Bit, and will be connected to a USB2 Audio A/D box with ASIO driver. I guess this will be good enough for realtime "stage" usage.

So I did a test installation of Forte 3 and tested a lot of easily available VSTs to make sure Forte will work as expected.

The testing was done on a standard PC running a Windows XP (32 Bits) and ASIO4ALL driver for Audio output.

Wile many things work nicely, several VSTs are not accepted (i.e. appear in the "ignored" list) by Forte 3, with the Error message:

"JBridge VST Module ignored because 'main()' returned a NULL AEffect Pointer.."

I searched this forum and the contributions I found:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4198&p=21436&hilit=aeffect#p21436

and

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4052&p=20850&hilit=aeffect#p20850

suggest that I should install JBridge.

But the error message

"JBridge VST Module ignored becaus 'main()' returned a NULL AEffect Pointer.."

seems to mean that JBridge already is in place.

Moreover it seems that JBridge is only necessary on 64 bit systems. But the testing currently is done on an XP 32 Bit.

The VSTs that are not accepted include well know thingies like Roland "Virtual Sound Canvas" and "Coyote" both of which are "Rompler" type of VSTi's, come with "Band in a Box", and do work nicely with same on the same PC. (But I suppose that "Band in a Box" does not use them as VSTi plugins but via some PC-Midi Routing.)

Now I of course fear that on a 64 bit system, with JBridge maybe really necessary, things might get even worse.
any help on this issue ?

-Michael

DarkKman

Re: NULL AEffect Pointer..

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 pm

I can't comment on the error specically - and not sure if this will be of any help - but Forte doesn't have jBridge "in-place" - you will need to download it - but Forte will automatically create 'wrapped' version of VSTs that require bridging if jBridge is installed - by that I mean "converting" (for want of a better word) 32bit VSTs for use in 64bit hosts (or vice versa). So Forte does have a jBridge Module (will allow jBridge to work without first having to manually create all the VST wrappers which you need to do with some other hosts), but you would need to install jBridge for this to work.

Does this happen if you untick the "Enable jBridge (if installed)" and rescan for VSTs?
Are the VSTs that are failing x64 VSTs?
Which version of Forte are you using (x86 or x64)?

Just as a point to note, jBridge would USUALLY (or maybe better worded as "more likely") only be needed on x64 systems as these would enable proper running 32bit VSTs in x64 applications, however jBridge is not OS specific per se, it just allows a VST host (on whatever OS x64 or x86) to use the appropriate VST - admittedly this may not be best use of RAM but people use what they use. So if a user has a 32bit host (e.g. EnergyXT - no x64 version) regardless of OS, but has 64bit VSTs, they can still use the x64 VSTs in their x86 host.

You can download a trial of jBridge for free by the way...

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:48 pm

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:31 am

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

If Forte recognizes a DLL as a VST it will always try to include a "reason" for ignoring it if it has to.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

mschnell

Postby mschnell » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 am

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I'll see what I can do to tighten this up.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Return to “Plugin Issues”