NI Komplete Upgrade Question

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

mhertzbe

NI Komplete Upgrade Question

Postby mhertzbe » Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm

I've been running Komplete 7 and am about to upgrade to Komplete 9. This means Kontakt will go from version 4 to version 5. Do I have to do anything (pre or post upgrade) in order for Forte to pick up the change and start using Kontakt 5 with its libraries, matching my existing Kontakt 4 - based scenes? I looked in the rack file and there are all sorts of mentions of Kontakt 4 so I'm slightly spooked.

I'd appreciate enlightenment before I start feeding DVDs into my system. Thanks in advance.

M
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

MikeG

Re: NI Komplete Upgrade Question

Postby MikeG » Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Because K5 will register as a different plugin ID, it is essentially a different plugin. The existing plugin data will probably not work.

http://brainspawn.com/documents/forte3h ... htsub=copy

This link has instructions on how to copy an existing instrument to a new module. It can be used to update a plugin but the results are not guaranteed to work because the new plugin may not read the old plugin's data.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

mhertzbe

Re: NI Komplete Upgrade Question

Postby mhertzbe » Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I actually had already figured this out (upgrade via copy module) and am in the process of testing the new setup.

A few things of interest:

- When doing this upgrade, first do a "save multi" for every Kontakt 4 instrument in the rack. After the Kontakt 5 instrument is created via the copy module process, load the saved multi into the newly-created instrument to make it match its Kontakt 4 version. Then the Kontakt 4 version of the instrument can be deleted.
- When doing the copy module, I got a "This FXP file cannot be loaded because it does not appear to contain data for this VST plugin" pop-up message that had to be dismissed 128 times... once for every scene in the rack. Not sure what this means, but the upgraded rack does seem to be functional.
- Forte was VERY unstable during the upgrade process. I had about a dozen crashes under all sorts of different conditions while replacing five Kontakt instruments and a Guitar Rig instrument. Almost none of the crashes popped up the "send info back to Brainspawn" window. However, the resulting rack seems to be stable (fingers crossed).
- The Guitar Rig upgrade was kind of painful but this was really my fault. I had it set up so that it would add / remove components (eq, distortion, modulation, etc) from scene to scene instead of having one configuration and letting Forte enable / disable / configure the components from scene to scene. Which is the model I came to learn and love for my Kontakt setups but somehow didn't implement with GR (I guess because GR didn't punish me with long scene switch times). Anyway, this wasn't a big deal since the GR setup is trivial compared to what I'm doing with Kontakt. So I'm taking the opportunity to re-do Guitar Rig this way as part of my upgrade.
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

Return to “Plugin Issues”