Sonalksis FreeG crashing when clicking MIDI Routing

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

DarkKman

Sonalksis FreeG crashing when clicking MIDI Routing

Postby DarkKman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 pm

I have had this problem a few times. I previously had the crash report pop-up previously and submitted the steps to recreate but now I just get "Forte has stopped working" and Forte subsequently shuts down.

I am using;
Forte 3.2 build 10.3070 (x64)

The issue is when I open FreeG and click on MIDI Routing or Scene Commands (or try and resize - after previous resizing). I have 3 instances of FreeG running (likely to increase). It is fine on the first instance I create and set the mappings for, and sometimes even the second instance. The issue seems to occur after saving the scene and rack then come back to edit the MIDI CC's.

Any ideas?

I would just use the Brainspawn fader but need the Mute function hence FreeG...

DarkKman

Re: Sonalksis FreeG crashing when clicking MIDI Routing

Postby DarkKman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 pm

It seems if I resize the FreeG window back to the default (i.e. the size when its initially undocked) I don't get the crash... Its a workaround atleast (it seems) but not sure why the crash is happening - I guess it may be something to do with Auxhost/jBridge perhaps as its a jBridged plugin being used in x64 Forte 3! I don't think there's a x64 version of FreeG which is a shame.

Would this make sense? Or should I keep digging... The resizing to default undocked size seems to work at the moment. I usually shrink it so I can get lots of faders on the screen so I can see where my "mix" is (as my Axiom faders are pretty short-throw so nice to check on screen).

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:09 pm

I have had troubles with FreeG "crashing" in the past it was not exactly a crash but looked very much like it (as a programmer, I suspect a pointer to a wrong memory location), I posted about it in a "Audio Explosion" thread, it was triggered by instances 1+x (meaning, one single instance never misbehaved, but more than one could, but in an unpredictable way).

I might, one of these days, code a new fader plugin to upgrade the BasicStrip and make it available in 64bit format.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:20 pm

That seems to be exactly what I am seeing i.e. instances where I am using more than 1! Is this likely to be a Forte or FreeG issue?

By the way - I went to try out your BasicStrip a few days ago (to try a different fader solution) but it seems the .rar has vanished. It looks a nice size and has some handy features (Mute, Mono Sum). Are you not making it available any longer? I'd be keen on trying it out :D

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 am

No, all the download links are fully functional, check this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4119

Cheers
Dirk

PS I think this is a FreeG issue.
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 am

Aha! I thank you a thousand-fold :D

***edit*** And if you did decide to code a 64bit version I would be more than happy to test it out for you!

DarkKman

Postby DarkKman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 am

Just wanted to quickly say I am liking Basicstrip already. I don't need to set a MAX value (like in FreeG) so I can use the whole MIDI value range for the fader throw! I don't need/want to amplify anymore than 0db so this is ideal for Forte! You are a star Dirk... Thanks again! :D :D :D

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 am

Yes, I have the same problem. I've got it set up now and so long as I don't open the GUI for it I should be OK. I set it up to max out at 64 (close to 0dB) and min at 10 (because there is a lot of travel at the bottom end of the range before you get to hear much).
Basic Strip is a handy little plugin but needs interpolation between the 128 steps to eliminate zipper noise on fast fader movements. I did like the curve of the response very much.
Automated Fader (included with Forte) can't be automated (!!!!!) but it also had zipper noise back when it could be automated anyway.
There's another one called GFader that can't be automated either. And Blue Cat has a Gain plugin but I don't like the curve of the response.

glenny_g

Postby glenny_g » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 am

Well, it didn't crash, but it wasn't acknowledging the "Do not store" flag in midi config either. So every Scene change it went back to full level. Not what you want in a volume control. I've ditched it and using Basic Strip again, despite it being terrible for zipper noise and very grainy fad ins and outs.

Return to “Plugin Issues”