Forte3 creates jbridged dll's even for x64 plugins

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

evilantal

Forte3 creates jbridged dll's even for x64 plugins

Postby evilantal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 am

I'm trying to migrate to a x64 setup of Forte3 and am running into this problem.
When I scan my plugin folders with the Plugin Manager Forte3 creates jbridged versions for all my plugins, not only for the 32bit dll's but also for my 64bit only plugs. This really clutters up the VST selection menu's.

Not to mention, Forte3 seems very unstable when a lot of jbridged plugins are availabe in the selection menu's.

What I would really like is to only have jbridges versions created for my 32bit only plugins.
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

giovanni78

Re: Forte3 creates jbridged dll's even for x64 plugins

Postby giovanni78 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:02 am

Hi evilantal,

if you uncheck "Enable jBridge (if installed)" in the Forte Plugin Manager , jBridge won´t create bridged versions of your existing plugins in the scanning process.

First use jBridge to convert only your 32bit plugins. You can choose this option within jBridge. Then always scan your plugins in Forte3 without checking "Enable jBridge (if installed)".

Hope this helps,

Jo
www.coverband-handsup.de

evilantal

Postby evilantal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:41 am

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for the reply. The first time I run Plugin Manager with the jbridge checkbox enabled, jbridge files get created for every plugin (.jbridge extension). If I then run it without the checkbox enabled, the plugin manager doesn't "see" the bridged plugins.

Will using the jbridge program itself to create the bridged plugins make a difference here?
Lenovo Z500, quad core i7 3632QM, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, RME BabyFace, Samsung EVO SSD x2, forte 4, Kawai ES100, Kurzweil PC2, VB3, Alchemy, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Diva, ZebraHZ, Bazille, Pianoteq 5 Standard, Falcon, various effects

giovanni78

Postby giovanni78 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:33 am

I´m also wondering what would be the difference between using jbridged files with .jbridge-extension, or .dll-extension. Anyone?

Do I understand it correct that if I use Forte 3 32bit (under Windows 64bit) and want to make use of more than 4GB RAM it is sufficient to create bridged .dll-files with jBridge itself, or am I supposed to check the option "Enbable jBridge" in the Forte Plugin Manager and create .jbridge-files? This is not clearly explained in the Forte-manual...

All the best,

Jo
www.coverband-handsup.de

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 am

Hi,

I too had this issue. As far as I remember enabling the jbridge Button in Forte lets Forte create .jbridge dlls of every plugin. If you want to a plugin to be seen "jbridged" you have to create it by hand as <name>.32.dll using the template coming with jbridge. These dlls can be found even if you disable the jbrdige functionality inside forte.

Concerning bridging plugins in forte 32: yes, bridging a plugin with jbridge as 32-bit plugin seem to be nonsense at first glance. But in reality jbridge is acting as an application of it`s own and even as 32Bit application it is able to allocate 2GBytes of RAM. This means: using a bunch of jbridged plugs enables you to have access to more than 3 and something of RAM (n times 2GByte)! Of course you need a 64Bit OS for doing so.

There are two ohter possibilities:

If you have 64Bit plugs jbridge can also make them available in a 32Bit host. As the jbridge application is 64Bit even a single plug should be able to use much more than 2 GBytes of RAM

The "standard" of course: using a 64Bit host an only "jbridging" your 32 plugins. In this case again you should have the 2GByte limit for each jbridged plugin. The 64bit plugs of course keep untouched.

Hope this helps,

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:26 am

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi Dirk,

you see it from the need to "bridge" plugs for RAM-reasons. What I meant when I talked about "standard" was the reason why jbridge probably was created. As far as I remember the main reason was the need for a proper bridge when hosts were available in 64bit. F.e. cubase has a strange something called "bitbridge" which tended to crash out of the sudden. Steinberg refused to fix these instabilities with the comment: simply use x64 plugs. I think jumping in this gap sold lots of jbridges as customers were not amused (one could observe the rumors for month in the forums).

Only my 2 cents,

kind regards, Volker
:)
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Return to “Plugin Issues”