Size of save data exception error / HalionSonic

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

hisdudeness

Size of save data exception error / HalionSonic

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 am

Dear all,

since I had some very bad experiences yesterday evening with my new plugin HalionSonic which crashed Forte almost every time I switched a scene I doing some tests right now with Halion Sonic in a test rack filled completely with 16 instruments on all 16 slots to check the behaviour when not changing the samples from scene to scene but instead loading everything at the beginning and then just mute/unmute or change the Midi routing in each scene.

But right after I filled Halion Sonic with all 16 instruments I wanted to save the test rack and got the following error:
Error: "HalionSonic" generated an exception when asked for the size of its data. This file may be corrupted if you save. Press OK to save or Cancel to stop.

I`m using an Intel Dual Core Centrino Pro with 2Ghz/8GB Ram Win7 64bit and a 64GB SSD.

Thanks for any help! I`m having a gig on Saturday and slightly getting nervous after having spent multiple nights on implementing Halion Sonic on all my nearly 60 scenes.

Best regards
hd

Dirk Offringa

Re: Size of save data exception error / HalionSonic

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 am

Hi HD,

I have this error frequently with EnergyXT. And remember having had it in Hypersonic too.I removed HS from my rig, it really was too unstable for my needs, but EXT is unreplacable (yet). I never lost a rack due to such an error. I save very frequently so I always have a very frequent backup (you might want ti increase the numeber of backuos to keep in fortes prefs, AND while we're at it, I suggest to save a copy after each day if intense work on your rack in a safe place (that''s because if you save frequently, you'll have backups only of the last hour(s) of work, and if you made a structural mistake somewhere, you can't go back, say, a day or so. (I simply do "save as" and number my racks)

When I stumble upon this error, I do not save, I start the last editing action over, and try to resave, sometimes I have to restart forte, but I always manage to get over this. I never had any problems afterwards during play. It's indeed a very cryptical error, I never found a way to analyse it, know why or what..... I think it's in the plugin somewhere, it's the chunck size that is wrongly reported, this can be a unicode problem, or something with wrong characters (special accentuated characters), I don't know really.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:20 am

Hi Dirk,

thanks for your quick reply! It came out that using HALION Sonic (not HYPERsonic which I were using before and kicked out due to the same reason as you and replaced with HalionSonic) with preloaded slots and not loading samples with every scene is killing my CPU or whatever resources. It takes so long to even UPDATE a scene (not to speak of SAVING) that it`s totally useless for me.

But I digged furthter and found out the following:
Forte crashed because HalionSonic wasn`t able to complete loading the samples. Strange enough most issues I had from switching from a scene with HalionSonic enabled to a scene were HS was muted.
First I implemented jBridge and have now all plugins except some effects and the FreeG handled by jBridge in separate processes. Second I increased the latency of my soundcard from 7 to 10ms. Now it seems that I`m in a pretty good shape, no errors anymore, even stressing the rack worked out.

What I also noticed: When setting up HS for a scene, saving it and go on to the next (where HS is sometimes also muted in Forte), the sounds in the HS slots stay! Of course I have NOT checked the "do not load samples upon scene changes". So I have to go through the scenes with HS muted in Forte but STILL containing sounds and throw them out. Anoying.

On the other side the sound quality (I`m right now considering changing my NI Alicia`s Key/Akoustik Piano against the HS Natural Grand) is really impressive as well as the options you have to modify the sounds in HS.

Best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 am

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 am

Unfortunately I have to say that the tricks I mentioned above did not resolve the problem with HS crashing Forte on some scene changes which I found out now due to intensive tests.

I also tried to have Forte forcing HS to load the samples on every scene change. No success.

-> Just noticed that Forte doesn`t save this option when set.

I`m able to step through 14 scenes until a scene with HS muted and Forte will freeze.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:59 am

What happens if you trim the rack first? (Supposing you can even get through the trimming process at all?)

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 am

Trimming went fine, also stressing the rack!

I happens just for changing scenes between certain ones. Right now I`m playing a bit with the jbrdige settings and the HS Multi setup page.

But it`s really a p.i.t.a that Steinberg doesn`t offer a demo or trial version of their programs so that you could face those issues BEFORE you buy their products! Nor you can send the software back and get your money in return if you`re unsatisfied.

When I buy a Roland V-piano for around 5000€ I can play and test it for 30 days according to German sales law and can give it back if I don`t like it! And the seller is even forced to pay the shipping costs for the return. But if you buy a piece of software for a few bucks you have two options: Buy or die ;-) Or, in my case right now, do both... ;-)

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am

Hmmm, I just googled HS up, and one particular phrase in their marketing bla-bla caught my eye: "HS is based upon the revolutionary VST3 sound Engine of the upcoming Halion4 sampler". Now that is something interesting. That could mean that the code is wrapped VST3. This is not yet mature technology. The VST3 SDK includes a wrapper that enabled VST3 code to be compiled as a VST2.4 plugin. That is quite some programmatical gymnastics. I don't know if this is relevant to thos particular case, maybe someone should attch a debugger and observe what happens exactly. Just a thought.

Of course I agree with your observation. Not being able to get a refund, not having a demo available, (or just a demo with disabled save and recall functions, which is basically of no use at all) is not quite respectful of the customer. 250 euros (that's at least 300$) is a lot of bucks, at that pricepoint one would expect perfect service.

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

ok, here´s hopefully the last update for today for those of you being interested in the HalionSonic plugin:

I found one HS program which is called "Flex Filter Piano", an interesting kind of 80`s piano whatsoever. This program seems to be not correctly released when you change to another scene where this program is not loaded into HS. Funny thing: It works somehow once, meaning switching away from the first scene where I have loaded this piano in HS did work, later on in a very different scene a couple of songs it did not.
So I removed this piano permanently from all HS scenes.

Furthermore I created within HS on the Multi page for all scenes a different Multi and loaded it into that page. Additionally I created also an "Empty" multi to be loaded when HS is muted so that no CPU/RAM resources are wasted on those scenes.

Also I checked some options in the jbridge settings for HS:
- audioMasterGetTime back
- Use thread safety measures in auxhost
- Force whole GUI refresh (otherwise the GUI is mostly corrupted when you open the HS console in Forte)
- Sluggish GUI hack
- Use legacy integrated mode
(first and last option were already set by default)

I did a rack stress for 15 minutes with random scene changes every 15 seconds which went through fine.

As I said, hopefully my problems are gone but I hate this unsure feeling in my stomach.....

Tonight my keys at home are waiting for an intensive test, Saturday is the gig, a wedding party which I don`t want to ruin ;-)

Keeping my finger crossed....

Best regards
hd

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Let us know how it went!

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:45 am

It went fantastic!

Everything went very smooth, no issue between changing scenes and the brilliant sounds from HalionSonic. After the first 2-3 songs I was already so calm and relaxed that I enjoyed playing so much since I hadn`t it for a quite long time!

Best regards
hisdudeness

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:15 am

Hi

That's great! So if we had to produce an entry in the knowledge base (=>Wiki) for HalionSonic, what would that be? Could you condense that?

Dirk

hisdudeness

Postby hisdudeness » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:46 am

Hi Dirk,

I`m waiting for a reply from another HS user with Brainspawn whom I found via the Cubase.net forum. I hope that he can confirm that issue with the Filter Flex Piano program. Also I`ve got still some things on my HS to-do list which I want to try out.
We have a 5 hour gig in two weeks and I have to extend my setup a bit so probably at the end of the week I will update this thread with a condensed summary!

Best regards
hisdudeness

Lucien

Postby Lucien » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Hisdudeness.

What news about HALion Sonic ??

I purchase it last week to replace Hypersonic and I ‘m testing it
First, we cannot call the multi with a PRG change like Hypersonic.
There is no alternative to check “Load configuration data…….”
So, I built a rack of 10 scenes with HS alone associated with Jbridge. The file of Forte is already 8 Mo….
I run the stress rack, scene change every 15 seconds, and after a short time, Forte crash.
I have an error Jbridge “opcode 2”
I think there is too much data to recall.

And you, Hisdudeness, did you find a solution to operate correctly HS?

Best regards.
Lucien

Return to “Plugin Issues”