Moderator: MikeG

cptsanity

Enabling midi functionality on inserts

Postby cptsanity » Mon May 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Dirk Offringa

Re: Enabling midi functionality on inserts

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 am

Hey Chris,

I notice you are not clear on the definition of a "bus" versus a "module". If you inserted, as per my suggestion, GR as an umptiest insert in a brainspawn audio MODULE, then we are not talking about a BUS insert.

In other words, whatever the issue is (if there's still any at all as of forte's current release) with enabling midi for BUS inserts, this should not be a problem here, it should work with no other actions than making sure the correct port is enabled. So there is a misconfiguration somewhere, GR4 is being used by many users (I myself don't use GR4 but the older GR2) and there are no reports of plugin misbehaviour.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

cptsanity

Postby cptsanity » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm

swalkerr

Postby swalkerr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm having a similar problem using the B4fx as an effect insert in Forte. I cannot get a midi controller to affect the rotor speed. I've never used the B4fx as an insert and so I'm not even sure that it accepts controller information. Using the B4 instrument in Forte works fine regarding midi control. I would appreciate any information.

yamus

Postby yamus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 am

For ctpsanity and swalkerr,

You probably have done this, but since it isn't mentioned; there are separate midi filters (i.e. "Midi Routing Tab") on the inserts vs. the module. Make sure you have midi turned on in the midi filter for the insert. To do this, open the insert (GR4 or VB3) by double clicking, then click on the "Midi Routing" tab.

-Mike

swalkerr

Postby swalkerr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

I did check the midi routing tab of the effect insert and made sure data was routed properly. I even routed to all channels feeding the B4fx using layers but with no success. Thanks for the tip though. I guess I need to find a VST effect that has known midi controller input so that I can determine if it's the B4fx or not.

yamus

Postby yamus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey swalkerr,

I tried this on my system just now. I apologize; in my last post I mentioned VB3, but you said B4 (I like VB3 much better, have you tried it?). I tried B4fx just now, inserting it into an effect slot (rather than the main module slot), and it responded to midi. I noted in my forte setup, I not only had to activate the port (it was disabled), but I also needed to expand (open) the midi port after I enabled it, click on midi channel one, and turn on "Enable Midi Notes"; it was not checked in my setup. You might want to check this too. But just so you know, this doesn't appear to be a B4 issue as I could get midi to sound on my system.

By the way, when you insert B4fx into an insert, does the GUI look like the regular B4 instrument, with the keyboard and all? Mine did. I was surprised, I thought an FX version would lose the keyboard and just be the effects portion.

-Mike

swalkerr

Postby swalkerr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:21 am

Mike
I had midi notes enabled and made sure all controllers were enabled as well. That didn't help. I just installed Revalver which has a midi learn function for each knob. It never sensed a midi signal so I'm sure that Forte is not providing a path to the effect. I must have some global function turned off somewhere. I couldn't find anything in the INI files. Still looking.

The B4fx does show a full keyboard and it is playable using the mouse. I'm not familiar with VB3. Who is the creator?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:21 am

Yes. This is a known issue: ALL CHANNELS ARE DISABLED BY DEFAULT WHEN YOU USE A PLUGIN FOR THE FIRST TIME EVEN IF YOU SEE THE PORT STATUS AS "ENABLED". (Sorry for the caps, but it's important to understand this) There's only one way to enable them: there's a small icon in the midi routing tab, on the left side, called "quick midi routing" and you need to click on "all ports -all channels" there to enable midi to inserts. ONCE THIS IS DONE, FORTE WILL REMEMBER THIS SETTING FOR THAT PLUGIN on this particular computer. This explains why different users have different results: the "last used" midi settings are saved in a file and loaded systematically when we load a plugin. The result is that new users experience a problem that old users can't reproduce.

This is confusing, but always has been like that. EDIT: I add that is particularly confusing because the channels are shown "active" in the advanced midi routing matrix, athough they ARE in fact disabled. This is indeed something that should be cleaned up one day!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

swalkerr

Postby swalkerr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you for that explaination. I'll try again with this new information tonight.

swalkerr

Postby swalkerr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I downloaded and installed the VB3fx and had no problems routing midi to the effect. I'm no longer interested in B4fx but there must be some kind of compatibility problem between forte and Revalver.

yamus

Postby yamus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am

VB3 is by Genuine Soundware, you can find a demo here:

-Mike

Return to “Plugin Issues”