How to route audio into a VSTi?

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

cptsanity

How to route audio into a VSTi?

Postby cptsanity » Sun May 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi there,

Guitar Rig 4 (GR4) only seems to respond to midi CC and PC messages when used as a VSTi (midi commands don't seem to be received by GR4 when it's used as an insert). If that is the expected behaviour, is it possible to somehow send the audio output from other VSTi's into the Forte module containing the GR4 VSTi via software?

Currently I am working around the issue with physical patch cables (I've patched a couple of outputs from my sound card back into itself and enabled the audio input on the Forte module containing GR4) but I'm hoping that there's a more optimal solution available so that I don't need to leave the digital realm. Suggestions?

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by cptsanity on Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Offringa

Re: How to route audio into a VSTi?

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 am

Hi

I've been using GR as an insert for years and have no problems controlling it with external midi. Check your midi routing!

Otherwise, no, you can't route audio into a VSTi from another plugin, only from an audio input.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

cptsanity

Postby cptsanity » Mon May 30, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks Dirk; that's great to know! Maybe I have a bug in my environment or something.

To test I:

- created a new Rack
- added an audio bus ("Bus 1")
- inserted GR4 into "Bus 1"
- enabled midi port for PCR-50 (controller that I'm testing with) and verified Unity Map for all channels
- added a GR4 preset (factory preset "2 in the Streets") tried to "learn" a midi control assignment to one of the knobs; no response
- added a module for the GR4 VSTi; tried "learning" the same control assignment to the same knob; responded
- disabled all other midi ports in the GR4 VSTi module except for the active PCR-50 port and repeated test; responded

Thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe a nested XML tag? conflicting plugin? I tried a Full Rescan of VST Plugins last night before posting...

Thanks, Chris

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

Hi,

there was something about needing to specificaly enable midi for bus inserts, I don't remember what/how/where exactly, it was a bit weird and don't have a forte install here to check, but anyway, a bus insert is not the right place to insert Guitar Rig, you should use a brainspawn audio input for that, and insert GR as a VST there.

Dirk

cptsanity

Postby cptsanity » Mon May 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 pm

cptsanity

Postby cptsanity » Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 pm

cptsanity

Postby cptsanity » Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue May 31, 2011 3:45 am

No, you misunderstood the basics.

An Aux Bus (auxiliary bus) is comprised of 1 or more send modules, and 1 return module. Aux Bus send modules communicate with the return module of the same number. So all instances of AuxBus1 together make up an auxiliary mixer, parallel to fortes main mixer. AuxBus instances of different numbers are isolated from each other, each set is a different mixer.

If you want to send audio from 2 sources, lets say 2 instances of Kontakt, Kontakt1 and Kontakt2, to a single effect plugin, let's say GR4, you will need

- two modules with each an instance of Kontakt, and a AuxBus1 in send mode in the insert
- one bus with an AuxBus1 in return mode, followed by an instance of GR4 (you can also use a MODULE for this if you want to, although it's unusual, traditionnaly busses are used to insert main fx processors)

Now you have an Auxiliary mixer, (2 inputs, 1 output) that enables you to mix audio output from the Kontakt instances through GR4.

What you did is overly complicating stuff, because you're using second AuxBus, (AuxBus2) to override forte's main mixer which is useless.

Dirk.

PS Also see my other post about the difference in terminology : busses vs modules

Return to “Plugin Issues”