Weird behaviour of GSI VB3 1.4 organ

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Kai

Weird behaviour of GSI VB3 1.4 organ

Postby Kai » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi there,

I really got a strange thing here. I aquired the VB3 1.4 organ (and had the same problems as some other users in getting the vb3 scanned).

Now the problem:
When I load the VB3 in an empty rack, the plugin behaves normal and sounds quite good. As soon as I try to load the plugin in my existing rack the vb3 produces just some kind of a high continouus whizzing/noise, nothing more. If you play around with the VB settings (effects on/off ...) the sound changes to a loud humming or other strange sounds.

I tried to look for some interferences with other plugins. So I made a rack with the identical plugin set as my original rack. That worked! But this is not the ideal solution to rebuild my complete rack with all the songs again.

I then removed my two AUX busses with the Korg MDX effect. Now it worked sometimes properly, sometimes not.

Does anybody has an idea what's wrong with the plugin?

Best regards

Kai

System: Windows XP SP3, Forte 2.2.14, 3GB RAM, Dual Core

MikeG

Re: Weird behaviour of GSI VB3 1.4 organ

Postby MikeG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 pm

----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Kai

Postby Kai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 pm

Yes, but I didn't find a solution. The strange thing is that the plugin works normally in a new rack. I tried to isolate the possible plugin that might have a problem working with the vb3, but all combinations worked fine in a new rack.
As soon I load the vb3 in my old rack, the vb3 immediately produces this one note/noise and doesn't react to midi notes. First it seemed that the Korg MDX could be the problem, so I removed it - noise ...
Tricky?!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Did you trim the offending rack? One never knows.....

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Kai

Postby Kai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks Dirk,

trimmed several racks but still .. noise (Siiirrrr). I checked several other racks. The only pattern I recognized is that it works with racks built with forte 1.6. Some few 2.0 racks work also sometimes, normally my small test racks for new plugins.

Regards

Kai

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 am

That is weird. Try this: Start Forte in safe mode, and check all plugins (excluding them) except VB3. Then see if it happens.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Kai

Postby Kai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Dear Mike,

after starting in safe mode and having excluded all other plugins it worked. I tried in a second attemt to ignore all plugins in the Plugin Manager I don't need for my rack -> Siirrrr

The logfile shows the message:The application failed to provide the requested interface (but not with an explicit link to the VB3)

regards

Kai

BTW is there a possibility to start Forte in Safe mode without having it knocked down before?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Hold down the ctrl key while starting.

Dirk

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Kai

Postby Kai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 am

I checked all this again. I finally got it working but just in very special situations.

I took my old rack with all plugins, deleted all the scenes, trimmed it, saved it. Then I loaded the VB3 - worked.
I loaded my old/original rack (without VB3), closed it, then loaded again the rack with VB3 without scenes - sirrr
Next trial. same setting delete, trim, save. Load VB3- worked. Then imported scenes from original rack - worked. Saved rack and and loaded it again - worked. Then restarted computer, started rack again - sirrrr

So it seems that it hasn't to do something with the other plugins. in between I observed a crash where Forte said it went something wrong with data storage (user data or so). But it happened just once.

If you guys don't see any indication for a solution now I think I'll stop wasting my time and see the whole venture as a donation for the italian software-industry. They're beaten enough with their government there, so they probably are happy for some support.

regards

Kai

yamus

Postby yamus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi Kai, I use VB3 all the time, although I'm on v1.3 If you want to send your rcf file to funky88 at cox dot net, I'm happy to see if I can do anything to help you out.

-Mike

Kai

Postby Kai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Mike,

thanks. I sent the file to you.

Regards

Kai

yamus

Postby yamus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 am

I'm sorry, Kai, I gave you the incorrect email address. It should be 88funky at cox dot not, not funky88. Please resend and I'll look at it tonight.

Thanks,

-Mike

Kai

Postby Kai » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm

no problem, I just sent it again.

regards

kai

TheFather

Postby TheFather » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 pm

One of the default initial settings for this plug-in activates a feature called "Background Hum Level" that simulates organ circuitry hiss and townwheel leakage. Perhaps this is set to low, mid or high. Check the "Preset Options Menu" to see if it's switched on.

Kai

Postby Kai » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks,

but this doesn't solve the problem. In the meantime I contacted Guido, the programmer of the VB3. I sent him a sample of the noise. He didn't have any idea what happens but was pretty sure that it is not a VB3 but a Forte issue.
Ok, it seems to be something strange with my system. Indeed I observed some other instabilities.

So I wait for Forte 3.0 and then will give it another try.

Regards

Kai

Tom McKeown

Postby Tom McKeown » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 am

I'll be checking into this too with Forte. i do use VB3 a lot and I have found on occasion that it just starts making some odd noises that are uncontrollable. I then have to restart Nuendo 4 to get it running correctly again. I have not traced down the cause yet. So, I'm thinking it might be a VB3 issue. BTW, I'm using version 1.4.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 am

Hi,

Maybe it's a useless suggestion, but check if there are any settings in your BIOS that might be improved, especially concerning memory management. For instance, I suddenly had a very weird distortion coming out of a normally rockstable plugin (that I happen to be the programmer of), and it took me while to figure out that the amount of memory allocated to the onboard video had set itself back to the minimum of 8MB: I set it to 32 : problem solved. Sometimes the problem comes from an area where you wouldn't expect it to come from.

Another tip for troubleshooting: I learnt that one always should remember that if you're SURE you have tried everything and stuff just ain't logical, then you don't have ONE problem, but probably TWO problems acting simultaneously.

Dirk

Return to “Plugin Issues”