Combining VB3fx with other insert fx

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

wolfgang

Combining VB3fx with other insert fx

Postby wolfgang » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm currently testing the demo version of forte and came across some strange behaviour with the VB3 / VB3fx plugin.

I did the following:
Loaded VB3 as an instrument, switched off overdrive and Leslie simulation to get the "clean" organ sound. Then added an insert effect for some nice distortion. Then I added VB3fx in the second insert effect slot for the Leslie simulation.
I also had to route my MIDI signal coming from the keyboard to the VB3fx otherwise it wouldn't work.

Now, when I play with all the plugins on, the sound is apparently NOT affected by the first insert fx plugin (i.e. there is no distortion) but the VB3fx works as the Leslie simulation is there.
If I bypass the VB3fx, though, the distortion plugin suddenly works as usual (i.e. I get the clean organ sound with some distortion but obviously no Leslie).
As soon as I switch on the VB3fx, the distortion is gone.

BTW, I also tried using a different plugin for the distortion and there was exactly the same problem.

In fact, this kind of effects chain is vital for me to get the Hammond sound I want. I'm close to buying forte, but this issue would actually hold me back from doing so.

So, does anybody have an idea what the cause of this strange behaviour could be and/or how to resolve this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Wolfgang

wolfgang

Re: Combining VB3fx with other insert fx

Postby wolfgang » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 pm

An update:

I got the idea to try some older demo versions and found out the following:

forte_DEMO_2.0.116.2076 (it works with that version!!!)
forte_DEMO_2.1.126.2086 (doesn't work here)
forte_DEMO_2.2.15.2102 (doesn't work here, I initially experienced the problem with this version)

Seems that some changes in the newer versions cause this problem...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

I read your post a while ago and am sorry your post remained unanswered... At first I thought it looked like a "RTFM" problem, but the information you just gave here (there are (recent) versions of forte that do NOT exhibit this problem) points to something more serious that only MIke could adress unless something obvious is being overlooked. I'm somewhat puzzled, because it seems quite impossible for one plugin to disable the processing function of the one preceding it in the chain. That is really not possible in the audio processing chain. Unless you use midi CC's to toggle VB3fx parameters, and it happened that inadvertantly you also mapped the same CC's to parameters from the distortion plugin, giving unpredictable results. Did you check that?
Also, what happens if you switch for another instrument than VB3? (using the distortion plugin and VB3fx as inserts)?

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

wolfgang

Postby wolfgang » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am

Hi Dirk,
thanks a lot of your answer.

Your suggestions made me fool around with it again and I actually found a solution...! I have to admit, though, that it's probably even more stupid than RTFM... :oops:

Anyway, when I loaded the VB3fx plugin, I always pointed to Genuine Soundware or whatever the menu entry said and then selected "VB3". I wondered why it didn't say VB3fx, but I assumed that if it is in the insert FX load menu, it would be the fx version... This time, for some reason, I clicked on the entry at the bottom of the menu (where the recently/most often loaded plugins are listed) which said "VB3fx" and, voilà, it works!

I still don't know what really goes on here, it occurs to me as thought there were some internal confusion between the VST instrument and effect version of VB3...but I know how to get it working, now, and that's enough!

Thanks for making me try it out again! :D

Regards,
Wolfgang

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

wolfgang

Postby wolfgang » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Return to “Plugin Issues”