GSi VSTs - VB3, ZD6, and MrRaymkII

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

davinwv

GSi VSTs - VB3, ZD6, and MrRaymkII

Postby davinwv » Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 am

Hello:

I searched the forums before posting, and I also have an e-mail thread going on this issue with support. I am running the latest version of Forte 32-bit (2.2.6) on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (most of my plugs are 32-bit), and yes, I know this combo of Forte and Windows in not officially supported. However, I am hoping that Mike at least attempts to recreate the issue.

All of GSi's VSTs - VB3, ZD6, and MrRaymkII open in demo mode in Forte. I have authorized all the plugins, and they open fine in registered mode in Cubase Essential 4.5.2.

I have rescanned all plugins, rescanned just these three plugins, and reinstalled Forte, reauthorized all the plugins, changed the location of the DLLs, and run Forte as Administrator, but they still won't open in registered mode in Forte.

If I enter my product key in Forte, the plugins will throw an error "Unable to write registration file," but then will run in registered mode, but only until I close Forte. The next time I open Forte, they will open in demo mode.

I did try running an older version of VB3 (1.2.2) & it worked fine. Thus, there seems to be something different in VB3 1.3,
ZD6, & MrRaymkII, or something different in the way Forte handles them. Guido at GSi cannot test because he is a WinXP user.

Given the fact that Cubase is opening these plugins fine, I would guess the problem lies in how Forte initializes them. I have noticed that in the forte plugin browser, the plugins that don't work have www.soundfonts.it as the source. MrTramp (the only one thast works - also the only one with no license because it's free) has a source of www.genuinesoundware.com.

Can any of you offer any suggestions to fix this? I am mostly interested in VB3 1.3. Is anyone successfully running VB3 1.3 in Forte 2.2.6 32-Bit on a Win7 x64 system? Should I try the x64 version of Forte, using jbridge to convert my 32-bit plugins? Have other Forte users done this? I only have 4GB of RAM, so I kind of hate to run x64 Forte.

Thanks,
Davin

yamus

Re: GSi VSTs - VB3, ZD6, and MrRaymkII

Postby yamus » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Davinwv,

I'm not experiencing any problems running VB3 or ZD6 in forte 32bit, v2.2.6 on Windows7 64bit, although I am running Ultimate rather than Home Premium. What is the path of your VST directory? Maybe you have your VSTs in a place that's causing problems when you try to write the registration code...just a thought.

-Mike

davinwv

Postby davinwv » Wed May 05, 2010 8:36 pm

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase Essential 4\VST Plugins\Genuine Soundware\VB3

Where do you have yours? Also, are you seeing the .LIC files in the directories where the VSTs are?

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully, with some clues from you, I can get this figured out.

yamus

Postby yamus » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 am

My machine is down right now, had a gig tonight and another on Friday, so I'm going from memory. But I think my VSTis are my user directory, something like c:\users\mike\vst plugins or something like that. I created a directory in the user directory, rather than the Program Files directory. You might try changing directories, as I can see where there could be a problem with the "c:\program files" directory (write restrictions or permission issues).

I won't be able to look at where the .lic files are until the weekend, sorry!

-Mike

davinwv

Postby davinwv » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm

All these plugs worked right out of the box in Cantabile Lite. No issues whatsoever. Not sure if I will stay with Forte if I can't get this sorted out. Cantabile has come a long way since I demoed it in late 2008.

fab

Postby fab » Fri May 07, 2010 2:56 am

davinwv

Postby davinwv » Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Sun May 09, 2010 8:07 am

Hello there,

do you run Forte and therefor the plugins with administration rights? The plugin does not seem to have the permission to write the registration file. This is a common error if a plugin runs under Windows Vista oder Windows 7 without administration rights.

So please try the following:
- Right click on the Forte icon
- Select "run as administrator" from the pop-up menue

Try to register the plugin again. It should work now.

davinwv

Postby davinwv » Sun May 09, 2010 4:30 pm

yamus

Postby yamus » Mon May 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Davinwv,

Finally had a chance to fire up the machine at home. I can confirm, I put my main VST folder in c:\users\mike\vstplugins. The GSi VSTis are in that directory. I think it might be worthwhile for you to try putting your VSTi's in your user directory, and point forte there, and see if that helps. Yes, the .lic files are in the same directory as the VSTs. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. You might also post a message over in the Instruments section of the KVRforum...Guido (the author) will probably reply there. He might have a suggestion.

Mike

Return to “Plugin Issues”