Omnisphere 1.2.0n

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

JeffB

Omnisphere 1.2.0n

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am

Anyone got this working with Forte?

I'm using the latest version of Forte 2 Performer and have just updated Omnisphere to the most recent version and now get no sound from Omnisphere. If I roll back to the previous version it works perfectly.

It also works perfectly within Sonar 8.5.2.

Any ideas?

JeffB

Re: Omnisphere 1.2.0n

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm

I've now tried Omnisphere in a couple of simple free VST hosts (VST host and Savi Host) and it works in them also.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:02 pm

It might be useful if you do some investigations yourself just to single out the problem exactly: what means "no sound"? Is midi received? If it is, is it processed? I don't know how Omnispere works, I don't own it, but it's a sampler I presume, so are you positive the samples are loaded?

Generally speaking: questions like " HELP!!! I have no sound!!" are really difficult to answer, unless you expect a "Oh, yeah, sure" sort of reaction which wouldn't help you out at all...... a minimum of clues should be provided.....

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Well thanks for the advice Dirk but I was asking if anyone who uses Omnisphere is having the same problem as I am before I get into serious debugging.

For what it's worth, I started off thinking it was purely an Omnisphere problem but the fact that it works OK in three other hosts seems to suggest otherwise. The Forte MIDI activity indicator registers incoming data but with no response whatsoever from Omnisphere.

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I have the exact same problem.
Omnisphere don't respond to midi. the Preview button in Omnisphere works.. All other plugins works.. And it
just happend today.. dont know what i did.. :(

Rolf

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I had the same problem before updating Omni too. I did the update just an hour ago hoping that would
solve the problem but no.
I really hope someone got a fix for this

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi,

same behavior here (not working in forte but in other hosts).

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Hello there,

same problem here. I used Omnisphere in Forte with Omnisphere version 1.14c. Everything worked fine. After updating to version 1.20n Omnisphere is not responding to any midi-input any more. I see midi signals coming in (as before), the "LED" in Forte signals these inputs, but Omnisphere does not react to these signals. If Omnisphere gets Midi signals, the corresponding part button in Omnisphere is glowing. Now it does not do this and corresponding to that there is no sound. As said here before, the preview button still does play sound! So Omnisphere is not completly silent after all, it just do not react to incoming midi signals any more.

When loading Cubase and loading Omnisphere in it, I still can play the plugin just fine. So it seems there is some error in the "teamwork" between Forte and the new Omnisphere version.

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:10 am

I did some more research.
First i tried to reinstall Forte, but with same result.
Then i uninstalled it and after that removed this folder manually:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\brainspawn\
Installed Forte again and voila! i got Omnisound.
But dont know exactly what the problem was and thats kinda scary.
I have a big live project going on and cant imagine how my brain is going to
be if i get this problem the day before the show. :)

Rolf

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 am

I tried that yesterday and was briefly relieved to get Omni working only to realise that it had picked up 1.1.4c again.

Are you sure that you've got 1.2.0n working? if so I've got a load more figuring out to do.

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 am

Ah yeah your right..
its 1.1.4c again :(
I gonna leave it that way till thers a fix for this.

rolf

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:51 am

I've e-mailed support about this but not heard back yet.

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 am

Same problem here. I wrote to Spectrasonics. They wrote back with a couple of questions. I think the problem is Omni 1.2. Well see

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am

People have the same problem with other VSTi hosts allso, so its absolutely a problem with Omni 1.2 and not with Forte :)

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Please read this:
"Omnisphere requires a VST 2.4 host. Forte seems to be relying on a part of the VST protocol (wantEvents) that was deprecated in version 2.4. If you know how to contact the developer of Forte, let them know that's the problem."

Is it possible that Forte does not fully support VST 2.4?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Forte is VST 2.4. I would be surprised if it was only partially 2.4 compliant.

Dirk

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 am

Woow, i allso have the same problem with Spectrasonics Stylus RMX 1.9.0e :(

Rolf

MartiBlartFast

Postby MartiBlartFast » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:55 am

I have Omni and Stylus, I haven't upgraded to latest versions so no problems for me yet.

Mike, any chance you could give us your thoughts on this?

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Still nothing from support!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Forte is a VST2.4 host. It does not rely (solely) on the plugin's wantEvents() call, it implements VST2.4 sendVSTMidiEvents().
Maybe there's another problem, but it's not the one the good folks from NorthernSounds pointed out. Is Forte the only host that shows this behaviour?

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Dirk,

I did some testing: Cubase, Live Professor and Ableton work without a problem. Vstack (beside Forte) is the only host at the moment that doesn`t work here, but I`m pretty sure it doesn`t support VST2.4 as it is years since it was updated last time.

regards, Volker
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Same here. I've only got Forte and Cubase 4 and 5 to do some testing (do not own any other VSTi host). The result is - as Volker has said already: Cubase and Omnisphere 1.2.0n are working well on all plattforms (different PCs with Windows XP and Windows 7, different audio interfaces, etc.) but the plugin is silent in Forte (on all plattforms, too). And the reason why must have something to do with one or more changes that Spectrasonics did in this new patch because any older version of the plugin runs fine in Forte.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:13 pm

I insist that it's highly unlikely that this is a VST 2.4 incompatibility issue. Would Spectrasonics code this very new synth for VST2.3 (dating from 2003) in 2009 (1.1.4 worked), and then all of a sudden, in 2010, for a 1.2.0 release, port the code to VST2.4 (dating from 2006) while at the same time removing all backwards compatibility, which needs extra coding, without warning the end user, ? I don't think so.

There is another problem going on here. Sorry, I can't test it, they have no demo available for download.
I mentioned this thread in the beta forum, in case Mike missed it. Let's wait and see what he thinks about it. The fact is: "Spectrasonic's Omnisphere broke when it upgraded from 1.1.4 to 1.2.0", the rest is speculation!

Dirk

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:14 am

Omnisphere 1.20n works in Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Cantabile, SaviHost and VST Host but not in Forte so there obviously is something broke in Forte!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 am

If it pleases you to think so, please do. This can be anything, including issues with copy protection.
I would like however to repeat, if you don't mind, that this issue was introduced by a Omnisphere update, not by a forte update, and that no other plugin exhibits the same problem in forte as far as I know of, so it seems reasonable to wait for Mike to be able to check this out. Please be patient: the fact that Spectrasonics decided to not offer a demo version for download reduces greatly the chance that this issue will be adressed promptly...

Dirk

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 am

If it pleases me to think so?

Get off your high horse will you!

Fact is fact!!

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

Just heard back from Mike that a copy of Omnisphere is on it's way to him so hopefully all will be revealed soon.

Spectrasonics seem confident that all is well at their end.

I've been using the Cantabile demo since this started but will be glad to get back to Forte!

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Easy boys, calm down please! No one really thinks that this is all Forte's "fault" since - as Dirk said correctly - the bug came by an Omnisphere update, not by a Forte update. But there has to be something in the "teamplay" between the plugin and Forte, that Forte has to handle slightly different in comparison to other hosts such as Cubase, simply because there are no problems in these hosts. So I'm really looking forward what's the problem about.
And do not forget: Omnisphere is not completly useless within Forte! Simply don't install the update and everything ist just fine.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 am

Hi all,

Yes, indeed. I'm supposed to be getting this plugin and I'll check it out.

I normally do not "spring into action" the moment someone says a plugin doesn't work because...let's face it...there's alot of plugins out there. The plugin support policy is on this forum and it basically says Forte is not attempting to be compatible with all plugins.

However, there's alot of interest in Omnisphere here, and apparently its replacing the older popular Atmosphere, so I will do my best to get this one working.

Forte is at a point now where its VST support doesn't change very often. Its mature code, so I'm more confident these days in not assuming its a forte bug when some plugin doesn't work. I've seen alot of weird stuff. Atmosphere itself had a big fat bug around multi-threading. If you use more than one instance, you had to tell Forte to not use more than one processor. Spectrasonics makes great sounding plugins, but in my experience, at least some of them couldn't pass the Forte stress test.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

I've put up a beta build (see http://www.brainspawn.com/wiki/index.ph ... a_Software) with a possible fix for Omnisphere. Let me know if that fixes it.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Mike,

sorry to tell but same problem here with the latest beta.

reagards, Volker

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

hmmm....I'm headed out of town, so I'll look at this again next week.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:09 pm

2.2.4 beta is now on the same link - I think this will fix the plugin issue.

Should also fix Stylus RMX
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

It did! Stylus and Omnisphere both work. Also the Plugin manager is a movable window... Great!

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Mike,

if you have some time could you please tell us what the problem was about? Would be interesting to know.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 pm

A problem with my VST 2.4 implementation. I missed the need to call the plugin to see if it could "receiveVstMidiEvent". Older plugins actually call the host back to set a flag indicating they want MIDI. Very simple fix. I keep the old support but add the new call and always OR the result to true (defaults to false).

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks Mike.

Greedo

Postby Greedo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 am

Yeah many thanks for fixing this so fast!
I'm really in love with Forte!
For the first time im using only softsynths in concerts, and it feels really good
to use a program that are rock stable!

Rolf

MartiBlartFast

Postby MartiBlartFast » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:49 pm

..... and this is why Forte is the best host out there. Such a fast turnaround of a problem is something that users really want rather than extra bloat.
Cheers Mike, I can now do my Spectrasonics upgrade and check out their new sounds. :D

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Return to “Plugin Issues”