VB3 Leslie doesn't work good on Forte 2

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

trivial105

VB3 Leslie doesn't work good on Forte 2

Postby trivial105 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 am

Hello

this is the problem:

the plugin (1.22) works properly but there is a problem whith the leslie. I can control the leslie speed with the modulation wheel or the mouse but the sound doesn't correspond. example: the leslie is SLOW, I select STOP but it continues to sound SLOW, then I select FAST and it starts to accelerate but when I want return to SLOW it doesn't. It is only an example. there is not a "regular bug"

Finally, also the knobs regulating the leslie's speed (TREBLE ROTOR AND BASS ROTOR) work in this strange mode.

Any suggestion?

Volker Grosch

Re: VB3 Leslie doesn't work good on Forte 2

Postby Volker Grosch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi trivial105,

I also use the VB3 and - sorry - I can`t observe this behavior here. There is an issue with a dead zone between fast and slow (in the middle position the rotor stands still) but this is a "wanted" behavior. As far as I remember there is a possibilty in the options menu of the VB3 where this normally can be changed.

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

yamus

Postby yamus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm

How are you speeding up and slowing down the leslie, exactly?

trivial105

Postby trivial105 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 am

I move the leslie's speed with the modulation wheel, but yesterday I've noticed that the problems begin when i start to modify the leslie's speed acting on the knobs (TREBLE AND BASS ROTOR) with the mouse.
more exactly when i speed up the leslie over a certain threshold (with TREBLE FAST knobs for example) it is impossible to slow it down.

however, it doesn't seem a specifc forte's problem, because It happens if I open vb3 in reaper too.

yamus

Postby yamus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 am

Sounds like a problem to be reported to Geniune Software (makers of VB3). I'll try to see if I can recreate the problem tonight or over the weekend.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:10 am

Hi,

I once again checked for my application: I use version 1.2.2 and I control speech simly by the modulation wheel. Global optionas menu/Rotary speed Controller is set to "one controller (assignable)". I created 3 different setups with compeletely different fast and slow speeds for high and lo. In every case I am able to control speed by using the modulation whell or by using the mouse. Sorry, I`m not able to reproduce the problem here.

Could it be, that you use another CC channel for your wheel (but this would not explain the problem when you use the mouse). Another idea: if you try to make the slow speed faster than the high speed, VB3 changes slow speed to the level of high speed when you move the modulation wheel (this is sort of logical). In this case you get the same speed for fast and slow afterwards.

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:57 am

Looks like a rounding problem to me, which is not a forte bug, but a bug in the plugin. Depending on how they manage the internal conversion of parameters, this can happen 1n in a random way. VST parameters are 32 bit floats ranging from 0 to 1 included. If they need to derive 3 states from that range (e.g. slow-off-fast) and use integers for that (0-1-2), for instance to update the GUI, or even in their processing methods they need to perform a conversion from float to int. Depending on their conversion function, errors can occor randomly: the GUI might show an OFF image, but the VST param is still something else. This can be tricky.

Once you are sure you didn't make a routing error yourself, you should talk about this to the developer of the plugin.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

trivial105

Postby trivial105 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 am

thank you VERY MUCH for your opinion, but I haven't fix the problem yet.

I hope that the plugin's developer can help me.

however, I'll try to make a video to show what happens exactly.

Regards!

Return to “Plugin Issues”