Guitar Rig 4 does not show up

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

progmr

Guitar Rig 4 does not show up

Postby progmr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Hello:

I saw the thread regarding Guitar Rig 4 and followed the instructions to copy the GR3 modification in the DeviceCompatibility.xml using CLSID of GR4 in the PLUGINS.XML file but to no avail. It shows up under the VST plugins as a VST but does not appear as an addable instrument. I'm running Forte 2.1 build 126.2086.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Luther

MikeG

Re: Guitar Rig 4 does not show up

Postby MikeG » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Please post the snippet of XML from plugins.xml for this plugin. I'll include the correct device compatibility hack in the next update.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

progmr

Postby progmr » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Here is the information from plugins.xml:

<Plugin>
<CLSID>{9487646B-9E2D-4FF1-A6D4-6930EC21AB26}</CLSID>
<Vendor>Native Instruments Software Synthesis GmbH</Vendor>
<Name>Guitar Rig 4</Name>
<ShortName>Guitar Rig 4</ShortName>
<CustomName></CustomName>
<FileName>C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Guitar Rig 4.dll</FileName>
<Type>VST</Type>
<Age>6</Age>
<VSTUniqueID>4E694734</VSTUniqueID>
</Plugin>

progmr

Postby progmr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:11 am

I think I found a work around. If one goes into the plugins.xml and changes the TYPE parameter from VST to VSTi it works.

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:23 am

Correct.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:25 am

Here is an updated DeviceCompatibility.xml file. See if this solves the problem for real.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am

Hi. I'm a new user and I have the same issue (Guitar Rig 4 doesn't show up as a VSTi... only as an effect plug-in.

I gather the device compatiblity xml file needs to be edited. It already contains the section about forcing GR4 to be a VSTi, but it isn't working so I think the identifier (long string of letters and digits) needs to be customized for my setup?

Problem is, there is mention of a plugins.xml file that would have the info, but I can't find that file. Where is it located? Is it hidden?

Or am I not on the right track at all?

Thanks for the help...

Marc
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 pm

OK, I seem to have figured this out for myself.

In forte, I did a tools->view ini files. This showed me the location of the plugins.xml file which I never would have stumbled on (roaming??) and which, for some reason, windows 7 search didn't know about.

The CLSID for guitar rig 4 in plugins.xml matched the one in deviceCompatibility.xml.

So I edited plugins.xml to change the TYPE of the Guitar Rig 4 plugin from VST to VSTi and this seems to have done the trick.

Just curious... why doesn't the distribution plugins.xml have guitar rig 4 as a VSTi?

M
Forte 4 hosting NI Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Aux Bus Set on a Dell Precision M4700 with SSD and 24GB memory. Oxygen 88 keyboard/controller and Steinberg UR44 Midi/Audio I/O

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:38 pm

----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

mhertzbe

Postby mhertzbe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am

Yes, it's in there. Gut GR4 did not show up as a VSTi until I edited plugins.xml as described.
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, if that matters.

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:40 am

I think you would need to rescan that plugin with the plugin manager to automatically get that change.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am

Never mind - I just found a problem there. I'll get a fix in the next release.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)

Return to “Plugin Issues”