problems with Solid Sound Studio Faders

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Volker Grosch

problems with Solid Sound Studio Faders

Postby Volker Grosch » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi,

I tried to include some Basic Strips & Aux Busses to my rack to make an external Effect available to the vstis in my rack. The problem: after a short while I got a crash (tried 2 times). I`m running an Q6600 / 8 GBytes of RAM on Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. I don`t remember to have any problems in the past (Win XP 32 Bit). Is there anybody who observes similar issues / any hints,....? Any help is appreciated,

thanks in advance, Volker

p.s.: of course I`m aware that these plugs were free gifts from Dirk Offringa (thanks :P ). On the other hand they would really help me as I`d be able to leave my Yamaha mixer at home and do everythink inside my PC...
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Dirk Offringa

Re: problems with Solid Sound Studio Faders

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi Volker

1: Please send the crash reports to brainspawn so Mike can take a look at it, and transmit me the technical data relative to the crash if this concerns one of my plugins

2: If you're using the latest version of forte, a plugin-related crash will be reported as such: did you get one, and are you sure it was an Aux-bus or a Basic Strip that crashed forte?? Both plugins have a completely different code base, they have absolutely nothing in common except the VST libs from Steinberg, as every other VST plugin. They aren't even coded in the same programming language.

3: Bear in mind that neither forte, nor the aux busses are officially supported to run in WoW64 mode, there have been reports of succes but nothing has been officially tested and certified.
Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned, I will not provide support for plugins running in WoW64 on Vista-64bit, but will consider investigating issues in WoW64 on Win7-64bit, sorry.....

4: A native 64bit version of the Aux Bus Set is currently being tested, and an update to the 32bit version will be released as well, certainly before Christmas

5. I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to support the Basic Strip any longer. There are many great alternatives available (the FreeG from Sonalksis is one of those: these guys make great sounding plugins BTW). I'm made the Basic Strip when forte wasn't shipped yet with the automatic fader (which does the same thing) and there were no real free alternatives. I can understand however that there are users that have the Basic Strip in their rack files, and would like to save themselves the hassle of changing it for something else, involving a great deal of reprogramming scenes. If so, I will consider keeping the Basic Strip up to date for backwards compatibility.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:02 am

Hi Dirk,

first of all: thanks for this quick reply and of course I`m aware of the fact, that your plugs are not officially supported for use in 64Bit OS.0

I´m at my office at the moment, so no forte PC available here. I will send the crash report as soon as I can lay my hand on the machine again. Additionaly I can tell that 2 automated rash reprots were sent from inside forte to brainspawn. Maybe there is some information available.

Some additional info: I`m using the latest beta (32Bit) - maybe this could be a reason ? So (of course I appreciate this) the 64Bit versions won`t be a solution for me at the moment.

Then again thanks for your hint concerning FreeG from Sonalksis - I will give them a try.

regards, Volker
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi again,

did some tests now: seems that only aux faders do not produce these crashes. I only observed these issues with both types in combination. I downloaded the sonalksis freeG and also had no issues first. Only at a later time when I opened up the plugin manager dialog and wanted to locate the Basic Strip folder I saw it obviously was empty (??). A short while later I got a crash again.

I don`t post the logfile for 2 reasons here for 2 reasons: 1) It`s very long and 2) I could not find any information on the crashes (seems that forte didn`t record them due to the crash). What I did: I posted the automatic crash dialog and gave some additional infos for diagnostics.

So far from here. At the moment it seems that I can manage my needs by only using the aux faders. Once again: thanks for your help,

regards, Volker

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Volker

Glad to hear the Aux Busses are not implied: that would be the very first crash report I have ever had since 2005!

Concerning the Basic Strip: if this plugin has caused a crash, that information is stored in your plugins.xml file: open it, locate the Basic Strip entry and see if there is any crash report there between <crash>....</crash> tags. If so, please report this information here.

Also, you mention the folder the Basic Strip is in (is supposed to be in) is empty. As of the latest version(s) of forte, if you move/add/delete a plugin, you need to perform a rescan. Forte does NOT scan for plugins at startup anymore, only on demand. If forte attemps to load a plugin that's still referenced, but with an invalid path, forte will crash. This issue has been reported and is certainly under investigation. Maybe that is the case?

Dirk

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi

Just to be complete: in forte, as of the latest versions, crashes that happen within a plugin are handled differently than crashes that happened within the host (forte). If the crash happened within a plugin, you should not have seen the usual crash report to be sent to brainspawn support, but a dialog like this one:

PluginCrash.jpg

(I provoked deliberately a crash just to have the dialog pop up! Don't worry, the Aux Busses are rock-solid....)

If you were able to send a report to brainspawn, than the problem did NOT happen inside the plugin.

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Dirk,

your support is really terrific, thanks again. :D

Concerning the sort of crashes I had: in every case I got a dialog with the possibility to send a report to brainspawn so you surely are right that not the plugin was the case for the crash.

Another point: I think I should explane more in detail what I meant when I talked about the empty folder of Basic Strip: when I open the audio effects patch point a plugin list by rightclicking a list occours where you can decide which plugin you want to choose. In cases of a crash I first found the Basic Strip in the rectangle beneeth "solid studio sounds". When I lateron tried to open an additional instance I saw that the rectangle (this is what I called folder) was blank for some reason. In the next step I got a crash.

So far, I don`t think I will find any hints on a crashed Basic Strip but I will have a look on the .xml file and give you a feedback tomorrow.

regards, Volker

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Dirk,

as expected I could neither find any hints on crashed Aux Faders nor any information about a crashed Basic Strip. Unfortunately I did some more testing with Aux Faders and Sonalksis Gfree instead of Basic Strip and after a while there again was a crash (only 2 Instruments with a Gfree and 3 Aux Faders each). The crash occoured during the callup of the Aux Faders.

Probably all this concerns other parts of my equipment (f.e. a short while before I got a complete Service Pack from Microsoft as the PC was not connected to the internet for some months - maybe this is a reason for the misbehavior). The strange thing is: I`m still able to run racks with 10-15 Instruments (f.e. 3 instances of Omnisphere(!), some Halions, 3 Sylenth1,....) without any problem even in heavy duty operation - strange.... Maybe I should think about a reinstall of forte, we will see.

Nevertheless: many thanks again for your help, regards, Volker

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Do you have the .Net framework installed?

"During the call-up of the aux faders", do mean when you call the GUI to show?

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Dirk,

well I never cared about installation of the .net framework. As far as I remember it has always been installed during installation process. I also installed the 64Bit beta version and I`m pretty sure here the installation of the 2008 th framework was done for as there were problems with the 2005 version. So I think .net is available.

When I talk of "call up" I don`t talk of the GUI but for the process when I chose the plugin from the plugin list!

regards, Volker

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:09 am

Please check you're add/remove programs list in the control panel. If you don't see any Microsoft .Net Framework there (the latest version is 3.5) you need to install it. This is a requirement for the aux busses. If the plugin crashes forte when you try to load one, that means probably that the plugin is invalid. Because of the new plugin management, where forte doesn't scan the plugin folder on startup, the aux busses are still on the "valid" list. If you try to load an invalid plugin from there, forte crashes. This is a pending bug.

If this started to happen after a new install of your OS or a major change there, this is the best explanation I can give..... but it might be something else.

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 am

Hi Dirk,

I checked this: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (incl. Language Pack) is installed. Also I can see that Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 & 2008 are installed. So I think from this point of view everything should be fine.

regards, Volker

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:11 am

Ok then I'm totally at loss here. The last thing I can advice is to open your plugins.xml file, and check if the paths to the dll files are correct, eventually force a rescan of the plugins.
I can't think of something else without any crash information.

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 am

Hi Dirk,

no problem, you have done much more than I ever could expect and I`m nearly sure that not your plugs are the reason for my problem. Of course I will also look for your latest hint. Here we have christmas holidays so there is enough time to sort things out. If I get the problems solved I surely give you a response here. Until than: merry christmas and a happy new year, Volker :P

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Dirk,

I did some further tests and I have to apologize having your faders under suspicion. The problem also occours with other plugins. The worst scenario was one, where I only had one VSTi implemented and wanted to add an effect: befor being able to load it, forte crashed. I tried to add sufficient informations into the bug reports and hope Mike or someone else will find the reason for this dilemma.

regards, humphrey

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for reporting this..... BTW, this might be not related but one never knows: you state you have both VC++2005 and VC++2008 installed on your PC. To install 2008, the complete uninstall of 2005 is required. I hope this didn't mess up your system!

Dirk

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 pm

:o ...strange as I never did the installations from my side. I not really sure but as far as I remember the 2008 installation was done during the installation process for the x64 Beta of forte. In every case I`ll have a look on this.

Thanks, humphrey

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Ah, that's not Visual Studio, but the redistributables that are installed then. That's OK I guess. (I can't check right now, I'm on my Linux session). Please check your inbox, I sent you a PM.

Dirk

Return to “Plugin Issues”