Forte w Guitar Rig

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Chris T

Forte w Guitar Rig

Postby Chris T » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm running Forte 1.6 (build 96). I don't feel a need to upgrade to Forte 2 since it's stable on my machine and I don't need the extra headaches (it's a PC!..). I'm controlling Forte through MIDI from a Mac (running DP).

I'm using Trilogy (old Spectrasonics vs) and it works fine, but I'd like to put some plugins on its output (e.g. a compressor, EQ etc). Since I have NI Guitar Rig installed on this PC, I was wondering if it's possible to do this? I made sure that my NI VST is in the list of VSTs (in Preferneces). What else do I need to do?

Should I be able to use GR as an 'instert' in the Forte plugin window on the instr (even though it only seems to want fxp or fxb files...)? Or would GR not work like this? I can't seem to load it as an instrument (doesn't come up, even though my other NI prodcuts do - e.g. Kontakt, Absynth etc).

Thanks!

Dirk Offringa

Re: Forte w Guitar Rig

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 am

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Chris T

Postby Chris T » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks Dirk.

Probelm is, when I go to the FOrte Insert window (the green slot ON the instrument (not on outputs/buses), it doesn't show me GR... How do I load GR in here? Do I navigate to the .dll file? I tried this and it wouldn't rcognize anything....

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 am

Hi

What versions do you use (forte and GR?). I see both on my PC. I only see the DXi version in the instrument list, but I think you can force the VST to be seen as a VSTi by adding a line to forte's plugin configuration xml file, it's in the manual/read me file, but I'm not sure this applies to 1.6. However, I recommend upgrading to 2.0, there are a lot of improvements you can take advantage of, and 2.0 is a s rockstable as was 1.6. Moreover, most active forum users use 2.0 now, so you're likely get more relevant response from the community. For instance, the plugin management has been enhanced in many ways since 1.6, and I really don't remember how it was "before"......

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Chris T

Postby Chris T » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:10 am

Ok. I guess I need to upgrade to 2.0...

thanks

dburns

Postby dburns » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I can see GR3 as both an instrument and an insert. But GR4 shows only as an insert.

I checked the manual, but can't find what to edit in the config files.

I'd like GR4 to show as an instrument too, can somebody point me to the info?

I'm on Forte Producer, latest version.

Thanks!
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA USA

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Go edit your DeviceCompatibility.xml file and add an equivalent to this hack for GR3:

<!-- NI Guitar Rig 3: force to VSTi -->
<Device CLSID="{49BE693F-9E2D-4FF1-A6D4-6930EC21AB26}">
<isVSTi bool="1"/>
<saveFXB bool="1"/>
<saveFXP bool="0"/>
<saveProgramNumber bool="0"/>
<saveParams bool="0"/>
</Device>

Let me know what you end up adding and I'll add it to the master file.
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

dburns

Postby dburns » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

I had no luck with this, Mike. I pasted in what you have above, and changed the name to Guitar Rig 4 (only changed the 4 from 3). I took a guess at the CLSID by searching for "Guitar Rig 4" in the forte 2/Preset Manager folder. I found "Guitar Rig 4.psm" and used the folder name for the CLSID value. Then I restarted Forte and did a VST Scan. But still,only GR3 shows up as an instrument in the Add menu.

I'm not very skilled in this kind of troubleshooting. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Dave Burns

Lowell, MA USA

MikeG

Postby MikeG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:18 am

The CLSID for GR4 should be in Plugins.xml. If you want to email me your Plugins.xml file, I'll do the edit and send it back to you.

Mike
----------------
Mike (brainspawn)
www.brainspawn.com/support

PLEASE NOTE that the forum is not monitored as frequently as the support site above. This forum is intended primarily as a way for users to ask other users questions about the use of Forte.

Return to “Plugin Issues”