Possible Bug Omnisphere with Forte?

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Amyris

Possible Bug Omnisphere with Forte?

Postby Amyris » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Hello again,

still got problems when Using Omnisphere in Forte. Could someone who also uses Omnisphere (maybe Mr. Garrett himself) try this:

- Create several scenes in which Omnisphere is active.
- Select different sounds in these scenes so that Omnisphere has to change sounds.
- Also create scenes in which one Omnisphere instance uses two or more sounds in Omnispheres parts (Part 1 uses sound x, Part 2 uses sound y, and so on). Map one Midi input and one midi channel to two or more parts (for example, Midi input 1 and Midi channel 1 goes to Midi channel 1 and 2 - and therefor to part 1 and 2; a layer in forte - of Omnisphere to play two sounds of Omnisphere simultaniously)
- Also create scenes in which one Omnisphere instance uses two or more sounds in Omnispheres parts (Part 1 uses sound x, Part 2 uses sound y, and so on). Map different Midi inputs and different midi channels to these parts. For example part 1 in Omnisphere is played by Midi input 1, midi channel 1 and part 2 of Omnisphere is played by a different Midi input and different midi channel.
- Save the whole rack with these scenes.

Now my problem is:
When I am changing scenes the following problems occur:
- Omnisphere changes into stack mode (stack mode is suddenly on in the plugin) and is playing all its parts simultanously even if these parts are mapped in Forte to different Midi inputs and channels.
- Even the scenes in which there is only one active part/sound does not sound right.
- The interface of Omnisphere is not displayed correctly (the main volume fader is incorrectly shown to be on zero volume, the selected patches are not displayed correctly, instead the selected scenes of the scene before are shown).
- If you hide the plugin in Forte (click on the down-arrow beside the plugin name) and reopen the plugin (again click on the down-arrow beside the plugin name) everything suddenly changes to the correct settings (stack mode is correcly being off, the sounds are correctly played, the interface is displayed correctly).

Does anybody else have these problems or can anybody try and confirm this? I really need help on this issue because the plugin is really unusable for live playing until this problem is being solved. Thanks!

Volker Grosch

Re: Possible Bug Omnisphere with Forte?

Postby Volker Grosch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Amyris,

I apologise, I should have mentioned this in my last response. I had similar issues with Omni in Forte 2 with using multis. Obviously Forte isn`t able to store the informations of the multi properly. For me this wasn`t a problem as I use several instances of Omni at the same time in Patch - Mode - so at least I didn`t remember this, when I resonded. There also seems to be the additional advantage, that Forte is able to load-balance the instances on multicore processors (which is as I think not possible with multis).

Sorry, but maybe you could try this as a workaround.

regards, humphrey
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Volker,

thanks for your reply. Of course I will then use Omnisphere with only one sound per scene (and more instances if more sounds are needed in one scene). This is what I've done with Atmosphere, too because this plug did only support to play one patch per instance.

The reason why I want to use the multi-mode is simply reducing loading time! Until now I am using two instances of Atmosphere in my rack but in a few songs the sounds have to change (because these songs use more than two Atmosphere sounds in it). Because Atmosphere (and Omnisphere, too of course) is not really a "fast loader" the scene-change can take 1-2 seconds and this is really uncomfortable when being in the middle of a song.
Now with Omnisphere I am having the possibility to load all my needed patches in one instance at the beginning of the song and only need to change the midi channel during the scenes of the song. No loading time any more. But sadly Forte does not support this properly as it seems.

@mgarret:
Do you know this "bug"? Any chance to fix this in one of the forthcoming versions of Forte?

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Amyris,

I can understand the reason behind. A quick idea: wouldn`t it be possible to have some more instances of Omni in the rack and load all sounds you need for SONG into these instances. Then it should be possible to change the settings by only changing the midi channel ? The additional activated instances should not take so much CPU performance. The only problem could be the RAM limitation in 32Bit OS. For this purpose I use 64Bit OS with lots of RAM.

Maybe this could help a little until a fix is available.

regards, Volker
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Angel

Postby Angel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Bug confirmed.

During a recording session in a studio of a friend of mine we tested his Omnisphere temporarily with my Forte laptop install. We ran into the same problem that multis in Omnisphere are not properly recalled after scene change in Forte, especially when alternating multis and single patches in Omnisphere. We tried every permutation of fxp/fxb tweaks in the device compatibility xml of Forte, but to no avail.

Even if Omnisphere is a real monster concerning CPU and RAM resources and is quite expensive, it is such a powerful synth and sound module with sounds that really would rock every live performance. So Forte really should work well with Omnisphere.

Angel

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Ah, yes, and I remember that the GUI was also not updated when open during scene change. And opening/closing (or vice versa) the GUI after scene change updated not only the GUI but also the sounds correctly.

Angel

Angel

Postby Angel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:16 am

Has anyone tested yet if this problem has been solved by the latest updates of Forte or Omnisphere?

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Not yet, because I've got not enough free time at the moment to do so. But I will do so and will post the results here, of course.

Return to “Plugin Issues”