Some major problems with Omnisphere

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Amyris

Some major problems with Omnisphere

Postby Amyris » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Hello there,

I am currently having several problems with Omnisphere when using it with Forte. Maybe somebody could help?

- Sometimes Omnisphere crashes when loading a new patch (this seemes to be fixed after I upgraded to the newest Omnisphere release 1.0.4g, since then I've got no new crashes but I've only tested it this evening).

- I am not able to save my rack any more after loading Omnisphere into my rack and making some chances to the plugin. Here is what I experience:
* Inserting Omnisphere into my rack
* Now the rack is still saveable
* Making a change to Omnisphere (no matter if this is loading a patch or a multi or even just changing the midi-channel)
* Updating the Forte scene
* Saving the rack file
While saving the rack file, Forte stops and shows a message that the rack cannot be saved into the desired rackfile. After Omnisphere is deleted from the rack and the scene is updated again, the rackfile can be saved again without problems. Please note that Omnisphere is being inserted into an existing rack with many scenes in it already.

- Omnisphere is not able to save a multi or a patch into an folder (no matter which folder) while being used with Forte. I am always getting the message that Forte can't save the file into the desired folder.

As long as I am not able to generate scenes with Omnisphere in the rack and to save the rack file after that, the plugin is of no use for me when using Forte live. Can anybody help?

JeffB

Re: Some major problems with Omnisphere

Postby JeffB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:04 pm

I can't offer you a solution but Omnisphere works fine here.

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:02 pm

@JeffB:

Do you use Omnisphere in a new rack or was it included in your rack right from the beginning? (<= I have not try this possibility)
Or did you add Omnisphere to an existing rack with many other plugins in it with existing scenes? (<= That's my current situation)

And maybe this information could help solving my problem:
I installed Omisphere to the following folder:
\vst-plugins\Omnisphere\

This means that in this subfolder is the omnisphere.dll file AND (important) the whole STEAM folder with the whole sound library. I know that you could separate the library from the .dll-File but I wanted to keep them together in one main "Omnisphere" folder.
Forte looks in the "vst-plugins" folder for plugin-dlls. Could this be the source of problem that the STEAM folder is a subfolder of the folder which Forte regards as its VST-folder?

JeffB

Postby JeffB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 am

As I recall (it was quite awhile ago that I set this rack up) I started off with Atmosphere installed and then later upgraded to Omnisphere, so I added Omnisphere to the rack and removed Atmosphere.

As far as the Steam folder goes, I have that on a separate drive where I keep all my samples.

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 pm

So hello again,

thanks for all your answers! Hopefully I've discovered the problem. The "bad" plugin seems to be Steinbergs "The Grand 3". Both plugins - Omnisphere and The Grand 3 - were bought and added to the existing rack simultaniously. Now I deleted The Grand 3 from my rack with Omnisphere still being in the rack. And think what - suddenly I am able again to update scenes with a new patch selected in Omnisphere and to save the whole rack without any errors. Same if only The Grand 3 is in the rack (together will all the other VSTi's). But both VSTi's - The Grand 3 and Omnisphere - do not seem to work together properly. If both plugins are present, I am having the described problems. Strange.

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 pm

So here I am once more... with another in a way familiar problem with Omnisphere:

Because of the known bug, that the multimode of Omnisphere cannot be used properly in Forte (please see also viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3082) I created 4 instances of Omnisphere in Forte (simply because I need up to 4 Omnisphere sounds in one song simultaniously or/and want do avoid the loading times when switching scenes in a song).

As long as I only use one instance of Omnisphere in my rack, everything goes fine. But now with 4 instances and loading for example two/three different patches in two/three instances of Forte (one patch per instance) I have got the problem that very often Forte tells me that it cannot save my rack file.

Here is an example what happened. I've got a rack with ca. 20 scenes (with a lot of plugins in it like Arturia Minimoog, M-Tron, B4 II, etc.). Currently there are also two instances of Atmosphere in it. Now it want to replace these Atmosphere vsti's with 4 instances of Omnisphere. Therefor I deleted the two instances of Atmosphere and created 4 instances of Omnisphere (called Omnisphere1 to 4 in the rack) with no patches loaded in it. I saved the file, everything went fine.

Now I started to update all my scenes by selecting the first scene and loaded a patch in Omnisphere1. I updated the scene, saved the file. Everything still went fine. Now the next scene: I loaded a different patch in Omnisphere1 and two other patches in Omnisphere2 and 3. I updated this scene and saved again. Now Forte told me that the rack file cannot be saved. I unloaded the patches in Omnisphere2 and 3, updated the scene again and saved the file again. Got still the same error message again. Then I reloaded the rackfile and changed the patches in Omnisphere2 and 3 vice versa, updated the scene again and saved it again. Then suddenly Forte could save the file. Ok then, so I switched to the next scene in which I changed the patch in Omnisphere1 and unloaded the patches in Omnisphere2 and 3 (because in this scene I only need one Omnisphere patch). Updated this scene and saved the file. Now again Forte tells me that it cannot save the file.

Please help! What is causing this error? I do not think it's a memory problem because I've still got enough free memory left while trying this (there's up to 700mb free RAM shown even when I load 3 sounds of Omisphere).

Omisphere is pretty unusable for me if there is no solution to this problem because there are songs in which I need more than one Omnisphere sound simultaniously. Atmosphere never had these problems in Forte.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi Amyris,

sorry to hear about your problems. From here I can tell you two things:

1) I don`t observe such issues on my systems. On the other hand, there are only 2 instances on the system I really use for live purpose (as it only has a small CPU). The other system (Q6600) can handle 6 and more instances at the same time. But as it only is used for testing issues I didn`t create a large rack till now.

2) Both systems run on 64Bit OS. The reason for the 64Bit OS (Vista Home Premium on Q6600, Win7 RC on the small machine) was Omni. Till then I every now and then had RAM issues (or let me call it "strage behaviour") when using some more instances of Omnisphere. In many cases I could not really find correlatin between actual RAM use and misbehaviour. Till changing to 64Bit OS there issues are gone.

Dunno if this can be of any help,

good luck, humphrey
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:41 pm

What issues / missbehaviours did you experienced?

It would also help if somebody could tell me what could cause Forte to tell "rack file cannot be saved". It also does not matter if I want to overwrite an existing rack file or if I want to save the rack to a new file. I never have any problems loading sounds (even the big patches) or playing these sounds. Even switching scenes is never a problem. Only saving the edited rack file is causing trouble.

Volker Grosch

Postby Volker Grosch » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:54 am

issues / misbehaviour:

- not depending on the host application (occoured in forte and Cubase)
- strongly depending on the RAM buffer allocated by applications like Omni
- instability
- partely complete crashes of the host application
- often soundcard asio buffer hung up, means, no more audio data was transfered from host to asio buffer but soundcard read last data in cycle which led to "un-nice" noise
- not seen since 64Bit OS

regards
hosts: Forte 4, AuxBusFaders, Cubase 8, Cantabile 2, Live9, jBridge
VSTis: u-he, Spectrasonics, NI, GSi, Synthogy, East West, TAL, Adam Szabo, Steinberg...
VSTs: u-he, Voxengo, Fabfilter, Lexicon, TB, PSP, NI, UVI, Waves,...

Return to “Plugin Issues”